OT: Another work-related question

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So I have 13 more days of work after today. I case manage over 100 students. Some of the 8th graders, I have had since 6th and 7th grade. Some students I meet with a lot and others I don't meet with often. Some have mentors so I don't directly meet with them because their mentor is their service. Some I have paired with tutors so it's the same as the mentor program. I want to let them all know that I will be leaving because I do not want them to come back from Spring Break and have no idea where I went. So far, I have only told two students that I am leaving.

So I was thinking of printing something up (I am creative with stuff like that) and putting them in envelopes and having the office aides deliver them to all of my students. Then, the ones that want to can come by my office in their free time. The ones that don't care, don't have to come by. But then my sis-in-law suggested meeting with each of the students face-to-face to "deliver the news". But then I'd have to write out passes for over 100 students. That's a lot! And I was thinking that I would hate to pull the kids in, tell them I am leaving, and the ones that I don't see often would be like, "Okay..."

I deliver notes to the students all the time so I thought that would be the best route. But I am kind of stumped on what to put in the note. I don't want to make a big deal out of it. But there are some kids (like my kids that get food packs every week) that need to know that I PROMISE they will be taken care of. I will provide their food through Spring Break and then my after school coordinator is going to take over until there's a new person in my position. I also already have their packs through the rest of March here in my office. I plan to make a certain note for my students with mentors/tutors and a certain note for my kids that get food. The rest will get a note w/o the mentor/food info on it.

So my question after this long post is: Would you just do the note idea or the face-to-face idea? If you'd do the note idea, do you have any ideas for what I should put in the note??

February 19th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Hrm. That's tough. I'd probably go with the note idea, but I have no suggestions on what to write.
February 19th, 2013, 09:05 AM
r&lsmama
I like the note idea. It gives the students a chance to come see you if they'd like. Face to face would be hard with that large a number . I hope you come up with something awesome for the note, I'm no help in that department
February 19th, 2013, 10:22 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I would do face to face with the ones that are really important to you and that you have developed deeper relationships with.

With the others, I would just write a matter of fact note that you are leaving, as of x date, these are contact numbers for who you can contact for help until I am replaced (childrens help phone, school counsellors, whoever is going to cover your stuff)

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
February 19th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Mummy to great girls
Ditto to Rachel above. Pick a handful of the ones that you are really involved and close to do face-to-face with and then send notes to the others.

February 19th, 2013, 03:06 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd do the note. The ones who really care will come and see you, and you can talk to them face to face then. I'd just make the note brief, let them know I'm moving, and that I wish them luck with the year. I'd also (make) and include an email address that they could reach me at if they wanted to chat after you're gone.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search