Flying with baby

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2013, 08:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Has anyone taken baby on a flight? How was it? Did you bring any activities for them to play with? Did they sit on your lap or did you buy another seat? If we go on a cruise this summer we'll have to fly to San Juan, PR and I'm extremely nervous about it. I'd hate to have Mya screaming her head off on the flight and being inconsolable because her ears are hurting her. After that recent incident with the drunk passenger slapping the 18 month old baby on a plane it has me even more worried. I'm not sure how I'd react in that situation but it'd probably involve me trying to KILL the other person. :/ My aunt suggested giving her Benadryl to "knock her out" before we board but I'm not ok with giving her meds when she doesn't need it. She (my aunt) has no problem giving her kids meds simply to make them sleep but I do so any advice you ladies have would be greatly appreciated.
February 21st, 2013, 08:33 AM
r&lsmama
Layla hasn't been on a plane. Ryan's has when he was 2. It was a 22 hr flight with dh. I packed lots of toys, coloring, some snacks, and activities. Dh said he dd fine both the trip there and back. he also said ry slept some if the time. he had his own seat. we used his carseat ON the plane.
February 21st, 2013, 09:51 AM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nope I have never flown with either of mine.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
February 21st, 2013, 10:05 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Nope. I've never taken any of my kids on a flight. James flew by himself a few times at 12 and 13 to visit his friend in Florida and I've flown by myself, but never with the kids.
February 21st, 2013, 10:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The thought of flying with Will terrifies me because of the screaming baby thing. I'm so afraid his ears will get plugged and it will turn into a nightmare. So, I totally understand your concern! I don't support giving meds for no reason either, but it might be a good idea to have some on hand in case he gets uncontrollable.

William Jeffery, born 8/1/11
Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
http://www.anilandcontinuied.blogspot.com/
http://reverendanissa.blogspot.com/
February 21st, 2013, 04:52 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't, & it sounds like something I want to avoid.
Good luck!

February 24th, 2013, 07:55 PM
GoldenTickets's Avatar Super Mommy
E has flown three times.... He'll fly twice more this year! (one of those times will be a 9-hr flight to Hawaii.... Eek!). All of the flights have been to Orlando, about 2 hrs. The last time we flew was earlier this month.

Some advice:
- try to schedule the flights during nap time or bedtime. It makes everyone's life easier!
- pack lots and lots and lots of snacks.
- With the exception of E's first flight at 5 months old, we've always purchased him his own seat. It's just more comfortable for him and us.
- E loves the toddler food pouches. You CAN take these on flights, even if they're over 3 oz. We had 5 on our carry-on earlier this month, and TSA didn't even bat an eye. We also had two sippy cups with milk and water. At our home airport they did a test on the sippy cups, but when we came home the TSA agents in Orlando didn't look at them.
- E's ears never seem to bother him on planes... You can try giving him something to eat or drink on take off and landing, it's supposed to help.
- we have an iPad and iPhones, so E plays with those some. And we had lots and lots of books.
- we have not tried Benadryl with E, and overall I like to avoid meds when I can also. But honestly? I'm not opposed to trying it on our long flight to Hawaii later this year. I know that I'm going to get antsy on that flight, let alone a 2 year old!! We did book the bulkhead seats for both our hawaii flights. This way E can hang out in that space. (jump, sit, play,mwhatever he wants to do!) by the time we do Hawaii I'm guessing he'll like tv more, so we'll load the iPad with movies.

On another note, I've done three cruises out of San Juan. The southern ports are great.

Ps - I typed this on my iPad. Please excuse any autocorrects.

E: 8/18/11
February 24th, 2013, 08:29 PM
ChristyO's Avatar Regular
Not yet, but we have a flight to Portland, OR coming up in May to visit my husbands' relatives, so thank you GoldenTickets for the tips! Fortunately the flight will be just under 3 hours so I'm crossing my fingers that it won't be TOO bad!
February 25th, 2013, 03:33 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We did last summer and will again this summer. We don't buy his own seat for him. Though we got lucky on one flight because nobody sat next to us and he ended up with his own seat. (maybe because hubby sat in the aisle seat and I sat in the middle with baby on my lap and left the window seat open and nobody wanted to be trapped there!)

We brought drinks and snacks and made sure he was eating and/or drinking during take-off and landing to help prevent ear popping. We also brought toys. He did pretty good and even fell asleep.

I'm more nervous about this summer though since he is older and doesn't like to sit still much.

February 25th, 2013, 05:35 PM
GoldenTickets's Avatar Super Mommy
Oh yeah -- take an umbrella stroller, or at least a similar-type stroller that folds up nicely. We have this stroller: Chicco C6 Lightweight Stroller : Target

Now that E is older, the big stroller we got with our travel system is just to big too bring on trips. When he was younger, that stroller was the place he napped sometimes, but now we can always plan our days that the small stroller is solely for transportation. And the small stroller is easier on the cruise ship! A disadvantage is the lack of a large sun canopy.

E: 8/18/11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search