OT: Telling my students about the move

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2013, 12:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well, I've started telling some of my students face-to-face...it's not going very well for most of them. I am not passing the notes out until Monday because I just finished them today. But I've been telling some of the students that I see a lot/are really close to. One student got very mad. I know he was just expressing his feelings, but he was definitely mad. He wanted to know why I'm not waiting until the end of the school year, why I didn't tell him as soon as I knew we were moving, and that he will NOT be talking to the new person in my position.

I know things will change. He is a Chatty Cathy, but it still hurts me to hear his/and others' hurt. One girl said, "Well who will listen to my problems? You're the only person who listens to me." Another girl told me that I am the only "teacher" she really likes. Another student asked me about the food packs he gets every week. I reassured him that it's all taken care of and he will continue to get them. He was relieved, but he said he will miss seeing me every Friday (and sometimes more).

I'm actually surprised more students don't know because the two (big mouthed) science teachers across the hall know and they mention it in sarcastically rude ways every time they see me. Like, "I hate you! I can't believe you're getting out of here!" Things like that. I know they are joking, but I just assumed more students had heard already.

I just e-mailed the staff and two co-workers that I really like are disappointed, too. I am the only person in my position who has STAYED at this campus. This is my 4th year and before I got here, there were 3 before me. 1 of them didn't even work the whole year before she left.

Sigh. I knew this would be hard, but honestly I thought it'd be harder for me because I get so emotionally attached to people and things! :/

February 22nd, 2013, 01:46 PM
CoreenaC's Avatar Carter-Carter's Momma
I'm sorry some of the kids aren't taking the news well. They'll adjust to the new person and learn that more people than just you can care for them.

The teachers are just jealous, don't let them get to you. ((Hugs))
DS2-EDD 9/10/14
*Thank you so much *Kiliki* for the siggy!*
February 22nd, 2013, 01:51 PM
r&lsmama
(Hugs) I'm sorry the kids Arnt taking it well. will you keep in touch with any? I hope it gets easier on you. I'm sure the kids will love and get to know the new teacher just as well as you.
February 22nd, 2013, 02:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This is going to be emotionally difficult for all of you. I am proud of you for being strong, and for being someone they all respect so much. Keep your chin up.

William Jeffery, born 8/1/11
Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
http://www.anilandcontinuied.blogspot.com/
http://reverendanissa.blogspot.com/
February 22nd, 2013, 08:10 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I'm sorry Amanda! That must be tough. I know it's hard not to feel bad about it, but try to remember that you're doing what is best for your family! ((hugs))
February 22nd, 2013, 09:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I can't imagine how hard it must be for you Mandy but it must feel good to see how much good you've done in these kids lives. I'm sure they will adjust once your replacement comes in but until then you should not feel guilty. You aren't leaving because of them so I think once they come to terms with the fact that you're moving they'll cut you some slack. Hugs

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!
February 22nd, 2013, 09:48 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
(hugs) change is never easy and is especially hard on kids who have a rough life. Hopefully it will get better as they realize you're not leaving because of them.
Its sad that no one has stayed in that position in the past

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

February 23rd, 2013, 01:04 PM
Mummy to great girls
HUGS Mandy! It is never easy in a situation like yours but you are doing what's best for your family and I am sure that those sudents will understand that one day when they are in a position like yours.
And as for those childish teachers.......bugger them, you're almost out of there :-)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search