When will your LO start preschool?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Have you given it much thought?
February 25th, 2013, 12:45 PM
CoreenaC's Avatar Carter-Carter's Momma
We are going to homeschool so will just incorporate it into our day. For the social aspect we will visit the local libraries, kids museum and farms.
DS2-EDD 9/10/14
*Thank you so much *Kiliki* for the siggy!*
February 25th, 2013, 01:04 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here we start kindergarden so young that I'm not planning on doing preschool at all. He'll be in full day school every day in 2015.

February 25th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She's eligible for headstart at 3. Not sure yet if she will go or not though.

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

February 25th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Not sure. With us moving, I haven't even looked into pre-school down there.

February 25th, 2013, 02:18 PM
r&lsmama
September 2014. our preschool starts at 2.9 so she will go then
February 25th, 2013, 03:00 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
September of this year. He will go two days a week.

February 25th, 2013, 03:24 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'll probably do one year of actual preschool in 2015. Our local schools offer a Strong Start program for 3 hours twice a week which is similar to preschool (except parents have to participate). It's held at our local elementary school where Kaitlyn will be going in Sept, so I will probably start taking him twice a week.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
February 25th, 2013, 03:48 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the park district offers it starting at 3 years old. Its like 2-3 hours 2-3 days a week (depending on which you pick). Not sure which I will do, but I will do one of them. I think the socialization is important. And I think it will help prepare him for the structure when he starts kindergarten. Being home doing activities one-on-one with me is a lot different then a classroom setting.

February 25th, 2013, 05:11 PM
GoldenTickets's Avatar Super Mommy
Hey Dixana -- just curious.. If Katelyn is eligible for Head Start, what would the reason be to not do it? I think Head Start is great!

As for E, he goes to day care full time... So he'll start preschool curriculum whenever the school does. They already have a curriculum that they do everyday, which gets longer and more formal as he gets older. He's going to move to the 18-month room soon, and they actually have "specials" every day in that room. (sign language, music, spanish, dance.... and japanese maybe?). I think the real preschool stuff starts at 2 though. I love his day care now, but when he turns three I want to switch to the YMCA. A family membership would be included with our tuition, and he could take swim lessons during the day (for an extra cost)!

E: 8/18/11
February 25th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The twins are Already in daycare, and will go to the preschool roomat age 3.
February 25th, 2013, 06:11 PM
babi_lovin11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to babi_lovin11
Pre school starts at 3 here and you have to be potty trained. So I'll look into putting Carter in for a few days a week once he turns 3
February 25th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccaroline View Post
Here we start kindergarden so young that I'm not planning on doing preschool at all. He'll be in full day school every day in 2015.
Kindergarten in 2015?!?! Lew can't start here until 2017!!!!

Lew, 1, DSD Lauren, 18, and Chuck, 4
February 25th, 2013, 10:38 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
In Canada they go to junior kindergarten which is simar to our preschool, then senior kindergarten. But if I remember from my other friends correct its public which a lot of preschool here in the states is private.

I'm hoping to be back in San Diego and he will go to tiny tots like David did. Otherwise it's not in our budget.

February 26th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Kim
If I'm still staying at home, I'll start Evan in preschool/daycare two days a week when he's 3-3.5ish. He will be starting full time junior kindergarten at 4, so I'll want him to be comfortable with spending time outside of the house without me before then. Jenna started going about 4 months ago, twice a week, and she loves it, and I get two days alone with my little dude. If I decide to go back to work, he'll go to daycare.

February 26th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
In Canada they go to junior kindergarten which is simar to our preschool, then senior kindergarten. But if I remember from my other friends correct its public which a lot of preschool here in the states is private.
You're right. We have JK (junior kindergarden) that starts with the September school year and as long as the child is 4 by January 1 they can start, so some kids actually start going to school all day every day at 3 years old. SK (senior kindergarden) follows that, then kids start grade 1. It's all part of our public school system.

Preschools aren't very popular around here because of that. Any preschools that are around are privately run.

February 26th, 2013, 01:38 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishblessing View Post
I'll probably do one year of actual preschool in 2015. Our local schools offer a Strong Start program for 3 hours twice a week which is similar to preschool (except parents have to participate). It's held at our local elementary school where Kaitlyn will be going in Sept, so I will probably start taking him twice a week.
Strong start is AMAZING!! I went with my sister a few times in the fall when I was in BC visiting her. Sooo awesome there. It was just drop in whenever you want around her place. You should take the kids now, I bet they would love it. I loved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
In Canada they go to junior kindergarten which is simar to our preschool, then senior kindergarten. But if I remember from my other friends correct its public which a lot of preschool here in the states is private. .
I think this is just in Ontario. (or perhaps a lot of Eastern Canada). It's not like this in BC or in Alberta. We just have kindergarten. You can start in september as long as you turn 5 by March 1st the following year in my province. So Avery will start kindergarten in 2016. You choose between full time and part time programs.

I will be putting Avery in pre-school in the fall of 2014. She will have just turned 3 and will go two mornings per week.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
February 26th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonzgurl View Post
I think this is just in Ontario. (or perhaps a lot of Eastern Canada). It's not like this in BC or in Alberta. We just have kindergarten. You can start in september as long as you turn 5 by March 1st the following year in my province. So Avery will start kindergarten in 2016. You choose between full time and part time programs.
I did not know that. It's very possible that what I stated is only how Ontario runs the kindergarden programs.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search