learning the hard

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By r&lsmama
  • 1 Post By mandy5586
  • 1 Post By Rachel

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you let LO takes some knocks for learning sake or do you hover and keep redirecting?
When ds was about this age he would *not* stop trying to touch hot pans on the stove. I finally got tired of chasing him and let him burn his fingers on a pan. (Telling him the whole while "hot it's hot it will burn you hot"
He never touched the pan again.
Yesterday K was standing on a kitchen chair holding the back rest and trying to rock it for the millionth time. I told her she was going to fall and get owies (again) but this time I left her up there and waited. It wasn't long before she flipped it over and banged her fingers and nose.
Do you ever let your kids hurt themselves so they stop doing something?

Oh yeah, it didn't work so well with K, now she climbs on the table instead. -sigh-

That title is supposed to be learning the hard way....

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

Last edited by Dixana; February 25th, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
February 25th, 2013, 03:06 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do to an extent. Xavier is known for not listening. I warn him many times, but I know he has to be made into a believer, so I let him try it after 4-5 warnings. Examples: touching the oven, tasting something he won't like, climbing on things.

February 25th, 2013, 03:20 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, I will sometimes. He likes to jump on his sisters bed and I've told him a ton of times to be careful, but I'm not going to stand there forever and make sure he doesn't fall either. Same with the couch. He's fallen off and I think is a bit more careful but he's so full of energy so accidents still happen. I won't let him do something that is likely to get him extremely hurt obviously, but within reason I think it's a good method of teaching them to be more careful.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
February 25th, 2013, 03:23 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't done that. I'm too afraid of him falling wrong and really hurting himself or something. I have been trying time-outs instead. Though at times he giggles when I put him in time-out. Its like he thinks it is a game! I know I will have my hands full with this one

February 25th, 2013, 05:43 PM
r&lsmama
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishblessing View Post
Yes, I will sometimes. He likes to jump on his sisters bed and I've told him a ton of times to be careful, but I'm not going to stand there forever and make sure he doesn't fall either. Same with the couch. He's fallen off and I think is a bit more careful but he's so full of energy so accidents still happen. I won't let him do something that is likely to get him extremely hurt obviously, but within reason I think it's a good method of teaching them to be more careful.
This!!
Smashley likes this.
February 26th, 2013, 05:29 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I've been bad with this. The couch is a big one for me, she likes to flop around on it. I tend to just stay close because I am so worried she will fall awkwardly and break her neck or something. I've often thought though "I should just let her fall a time or two and she would learn"

A work in progress I suppose.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
February 26th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It depends on what it is. If she climbs on the couch, I don't care. If she falls, she will cry. I will console her and we talk about what happened. But I'd never let her touch a hot pan or the stove or an outlet or anything dangerous.

Now...she was rocking FULL SPEED in her rocking chair. She was standing in it backwards and just rocking out like crazy. I said, "Oh my gosh she is going to fall!!" And DH said, "let her". Soo...she tipped over and hit the ground. She looked terrified and when we didn't get up to get her, she said, "Ooooh noooo". Then went to get a book to read. lol
CoreenaC likes this.

February 26th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Kim
We tend to let them learn their own way. Jenna was usually pretty good at listening and is naturally cautious. Evan's more of a daredevil, but still not bad. He touched the oven door once before I could stop him and he hasn't done it again since. As long as it's not dangerous, I'm all for letting them learn through experience.

February 26th, 2013, 09:44 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've done the same thing. DS was big on wanting to touch the oven/stove. So one day I let him touch the outside of the oven door. It's something thats not so hot it would hurt him but hot enough that he knows. Now he just looks at it and says "Ouch! Hot!"

I do the same with my girls too. One Halloween DD2 was refusing to sit nicely on her chair for supper, she was leaning over, proping her chair up on 2 legs, etc etc. I told her that she was going to get hurt and miss trick or treating. Well sure enough she fell and landed on her shoulder. She spent her Halloween in the hospital getting xrays done to check for a broken collar bone while her sister went trick or treating with my mom and a friend. She knows how to sit on a chair now. As a side note, it wasn't broken, she just bruised the bone, but she still remembers the Halloween that she got a sheet of stickers from a doctor and her sister got a bag of candy.

February 26th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
It depends. I don't want him to experience certain things (like burns for example), so I try to be vigilant around the stove/oven. But climbing and falling? He learns the hard way most of the time.
babi_lovin11 likes this.
February 27th, 2013, 01:15 AM
babi_lovin11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to babi_lovin11
I don't let him touch anything that could really hurt him like a stove or hot pan. If he's jumping on the couch I will warn him multipal times to get down and stuff but if he doesn't listen I still redirect his attention for now. DH says I tend to baby him to much and maybe I do but he is just now starting to act more like a toddler before he was like a big baby who refused to walk outside, always wanted to be held by mommy and now he's turning into such a funny little guy and in finding it hard to see him grow up!
February 27th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I use my judgement, if it could be a serious injury, I stress to her how serious it could be and not to do it. I don't allow her to climb the stairs on her own (having my children fall down a flight of stairs scares the bejesus out of me!) or touch the oven/stove, or get on anything that's too high.
February 27th, 2013, 01:36 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
As they get older I tend to let them find their way more. Right now I continue to redirect and tell him to not touch something. He is not a climber and if he gets on the couch he just sits next to me.

February 28th, 2013, 04:38 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
Yes, I am all about Kaylee figuring everything out on her own! She generally listens fairly well if I say something is owies, but there have been exceptions. She has burned her tongue on too hot food because she didn't listen and now she knows to blow on her food if it's hot.

My mom says I'm mean for parenting this way *rolls eyes*
March 1st, 2013, 04:36 AM
ChristyO's Avatar Regular
I need to take a lesson from a lot of you ladies, I tend to be WAY too overprotective. Maybe because she is my first and only, and I had her at 38-almost-39. But I don't want her to be smothered or overly fearful because she never learned how to deal with a little bump or two.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search