Super picky eater

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rachel

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2013, 08:18 AM
KrisQ's Avatar Veteran
Hi all, not sure if you remember me, I used to post here a while back (don't have the time now, between 2 jobs and a toddler).. Aaanyways..

My son has been super picky about his food lately and it drives me insane. No matter what I try to feed him for dinner, he goes ballistic. Even foods I know he likes (he ate them before, more than once). There are only a handful of foods that he will eat - gerber ravioli, spaghetti w/ meatballs, chicken nuggets and such.
We eat family friendly, lots of casseroles and such. The curious thing is, he will eat just fine at daycare (dinner leftovers he wouldn't touch the night before).

I don't know what to do with him. Please tell me it's just a phase.. If I never have to buy him another package of gerber ravioli, I will die a happy person!
February 26th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It's just a phase. Sometimes it's a long phase, sometimes it's a short phase. Brynlee did this for a little while, but luckily it only lasted a few days with her. I guess she just loves food too much.

I didn't make her separate meals though. I just made her a plate, sat her in her high chair, and gave her the food. If she didn't eat, she didn't eat. I do know that she gets plenty to eat and drink during the day so if she chooses not to eat dinner--she will survive. All I can say is that, with her, it didn't last long before she decided to eat.

Now if I make something too spicy, I will heat her up some mac and cheese with broccoli or something easy like that. But I typically do not prepare her a separate meal.

February 26th, 2013, 11:05 AM
KrisQ's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy5586 View Post
I didn't make her separate meals though. I just made her a plate, sat her in her high chair, and gave her the food. If she didn't eat, she didn't eat. I do know that she gets plenty to eat and drink during the day so if she chooses not to eat dinner--she will survive. All I can say is that, with her, it didn't last long before she decided to eat.
I tried that last night, but he just kept whining and trying to get into his high chair. So I gave him the gerber food 😒
February 26th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisQ View Post
I tried that last night, but he just kept whining and trying to get into his high chair. So I gave him the gerber food ��
He's just going through a picky phase, I'm sure. I would keep trying to give him the meals you make and if he continues to not want them and you don't mind just giving him a Gerber meal, then just continue doing that. At least you aren't cooking an entirely separate meal for him. Now if you decide you don't want to continue buying the Gerber meals, there's nothing wrong with just giving him the plate of what you're eating and if he doesn't eat it, oh well. Our toddlers will eat/drink when they are really hungry and thirsty.

I made dirty brown rice the other night (lean beef and sausage) and Brynlee just picks around the hamburger meat. She just doesn't care for it. I wouldn't force her to eat it. She does the same thing with spaghetti. She eats the sauce and noodles and picks around the beef as much as she can.

When she was going through that, she would "nooooo" and whine and complain, but we just ignored the behavior and she would start eating. Then she would act like she didn't just act like a big ole brat, lol

February 26th, 2013, 01:44 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I would just keep offering him what you are eating as a family and if he doesn't want to eat it, he doesn't have to. I would stop immediately making him something else.

My mother followed the approach I suggested with me and my sister. With my younger brother, however, she would give in and make him alphagetti or whatever it was he wanted to eat. And to this day (he is now 26) he literally eats: plain pasta, cereal, egg yolk, bacon, white break, peanut butter, hot dogs, cheese, crackers, corn. That is IT. No lie. You do not want your child to end up that way!

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
February 26th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
It can be a phase, but I think you have to be careful about not catering to his pickiness because it could turn into a lifelong habit. Daniel is my pickiest eater and I swear, even now at 7, it's been a challenge to get him to eat. I catered to him quite a bit when he was our little one's age.
~Rae~ likes this.
February 26th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Mine are super picky. They eat GREAT at daycare as well, and they make some whacky stuff there.

However, one thing I have realized is that they aren't so much picky eaters, but they are picky about how they are fed. The twins now like feeding themselves. If I try to feed them anything they turn their heads, or push the spoon away. Tonight my son ate his entire plate. Chicken, carrots, and mashed potatoes. I was shocked! My daughter just at the potatoes and a bit of carrots, but that is how she is. Maybe let him feed himself, and see what happens? Let him use utensils, not just putting it on the tray. I am not sure if it will help, but that is what I have realized with the twins.

That being said...toddlers suck. I love them to death, but this is the age where they start becoming more independent and opinionated. This is where they will want to eat one thing for an entire week breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Good luck!
February 27th, 2013, 06:02 AM
r&lsmama
I believe it's just a phase. my oldest went through it where he would refuse things he liked. Now it's fine. he eats and try's everything. We didn't make different meals. he'd get offered what we were eating, or if leave his plate on the kiddie table for him to pick at.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search