Traditions

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Do you and DH have different traditions that you had as kids? Or are your traditions pretty similar?
Such as Easter baskets/plans, Christmas presents/plans, Halloween, other holidays?

I've figured out, now that we have a baby, that DH and I had VERY different traditions as kids. I am mainly talking about the holidays. His family is HUGE so they do everything together. My family was always mainly just mom, dad, brother, me, two sisters (until my Dad died when I was in high school). So we rarely spent holidays with anyone but our immediate family. We just weren't that close to most of our family. For Easter, DH's family hid their Easter baskets and they had to find them (Lisa reminded me of this!) and my mom would make our Easter baskets and set them on the dining room table. We'd go get them when we woke up. She also made a big Easter basket that was for everyone and that stayed on the dining room table. It was mostly just candy, but sometimes she put other things in there like a new game for our nintendo or something. Our baskets had cute socks, candy, and other small personal things for each of us.

That's just one example of our very different traditions!

February 27th, 2013, 07:15 AM
r&lsmama
Ours are actually pretty similar. I thought they may be different since he's from brazil, but they pretty much do the same. Id say the only difference is my family is a small get together (aunts, uncles, nana, cousins) where his was a huge gathering (he said sometimes over 75 people).
February 27th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by R&Lsmama View Post
Ours are actually pretty similar. I thought they may be different since he's from brazil, but they pretty much do the same. Id say the only difference is my family is a small get together (aunts, uncles, nana, cousins) where his was a huge gathering (he said sometimes over 75 people).
Oh my gosh!! That's a lot of people. DH's family has a bunch of different Christmas traditions, too. I am definitely still getting used to them 5 years later, lol. His family is usually about 30 plus a few extras if Nana's siblings come to town.

February 27th, 2013, 07:30 AM
r&lsmama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy5586 View Post
Oh my gosh!! That's a lot of people. DH's family has a bunch of different Christmas traditions, too. I am definitely still getting used to them 5 years later, lol. His family is usually about 30 plus a few extras if Nana's siblings come to town.
What's his Christmas traditions like?
February 27th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by R&Lsmama View Post
What's his Christmas traditions like?
On Christmas Eve, they all get together at one of the Aunt's houses for appetizers. Then Christmas morning, they all go over to one of the other Aunt's houses. Each of the kids gets one present from each family. So they all sit around and open those. The adults do a $50 (mandatory that you spend $50) gift exchange (and are annoyed if you don't participate). They draw the names at Thanksgiving. The presents from the families are wrapped, but the presents they open at home under the tree are not wrapped because they came from Santa. Then the day after Christmas, they get together at one of the Aunt's houses again for brunch. They don't do stockings. (His Dad and Step-Mom do though.) They eat the EXACT SAME meal for Thanksgiving and Christmas. They eat the exact same appetizers. The same brunch.

My family is different than that. Because of all of DH's family traditions, my family usually has to get together after Christmas. Like the weekend before Christmas or the weekend after. Just to accomodate all of his family stuff. We had some presents from Santa (they were wrapped though), but most of the presents were from my mom and dad. We always did stockings. We eat a different Christmas meal than our Thanksgiving meal. We woke up Christmas morning and spent it at our own house. We opened presents, played with our new stuff, and hung out. All of the aunts open presents with their kids then they get ready to go to one of the other aunts. I think that's weird. lol

There's more, I know. But I'm going blank!

February 27th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
All of our traditions that we have now are carried over from my family. Neely was raised Christian Scientist, so they have really weird beliefs about holidays and stuff. Neely doesn't have very fond memories of his younger years.
March 1st, 2013, 05:50 AM
ChristyO's Avatar Regular
Our traditions are ALL me...David didn't enjoy his childhood that much and claims to have few to no memories of holidays, except that before his mom remarried, they were so poor that he pretended to not want anything for Christmas so she didn't feel like she had to buy anything, or he'd pick the least expensive thing
March 1st, 2013, 06:47 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Ours are pretty similar. Well, one thing that annoys me is that at Christmas when I was growing up, since we had the biggest house, we always got to stay home and our family (aunts, unlces, grandparents) came to us. Now I just want to stay home at xmas and have people come to me, LOL! But that's not the case here we usually have to go to visit family for a big dinner.

But other than that little annoyance things are similar. Except that in my family everyone got stockings including the grownups and in his only the children did.
Other holidays- pretty much the same.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search