I Love Yous

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Was your family big on "I Love Yous" and other affection growing up?
What about DH/SO's family?

DH told me that his family never said they love each other growing up. He said his Dad didn't start saying it until after him and MIL got a divorce (DH was 25). I never hear his Mom's parents say it either. When DH talks to his Mom on the phone or in person, they never say it. His Dad always say I Love you when he gets off the phone with DH or when we leave. He tells Brynlee he loves her all the time.

My family always said I love You and we still do.

February 27th, 2013, 06:20 AM
r&lsmama
DHs family was/is still very big on it. They say it all the time.

My family isn't. I guess it's just kind of know but not said.

That being said, we (as in me and dh) say it in our home ALOT. We want our kids to grow up hearing and saying it.
February 27th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DFs family, no. He had a rough childhood. to say the least.
My family......well my mom and stepmom yes.
I pretty much smother my kids with affection and tell them I love them all the time. Dale does too. I

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

February 27th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
My family, yes. Neely's mom, yes (even though she's bat **** crazy I do believe she loves her sons in a weird all about her sort of way). Neely's dad is not very affectionate or demonstrative at all.

I tell my mom and dad that I love them every time I talk to them. In fact I say it so much at the end of every phone conversation that I once said it to a boss. He hung up, called his wife and told her about it and she called my then boyfriend and told him that she loved him. Then it was a running joke.
February 27th, 2013, 09:35 AM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't really know about DH's family. Mine did a moderate amount I suppose. But not a lot either. It's a little out of my comfort zone to just freely tell my parents etc that I love them but we do once in a while.

DH and I say it all the time! I probably need to work on telling the kids more. Although I think I do tell Kaitlyn at least a couple times a day. I've started saying it to Dominic at bedtime now that he isn't screaming his head off at me it's getting easier to actually have a conversation with him at that time.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
February 27th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I tell Brynlee probably 150 times a day, lol. DH tells her quite often, too. Just this morning, I think I told her like 6 times before and during dropping her off at daycare. I also like to tell DH I love him (and vice versa) because I want Brynlee to grow up knowing it's good to tell people you love them. DH thinks it's super weird that his Mom doesn't do the "I love you thing". Him and his siblings don't EVER say that to each other. Me and my siblings (including my SIL) tell each other we love each other when we get off the phone, when we visit each other and are leaving, etc. FIL and SFIL tell me they love me, too.

When we say I love You, Brynlee will pucker her lips and come closer to us so she knows she is getting a kiss when we tell her we love her. lol

February 27th, 2013, 10:32 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Neither of our families were big on it. Tim has actually never seen his parents kiss, other than on their wedding photos. To this day he has a difficult time expressing emotion, & I think his upbringing has a lot to so with it. When we first met, he didn't know how to express that he was Madly In Love with me other than to spend tons of money. I had to bring him out of that. His dad is STILL that way.

Although my family wasn't into the I love you's & affection, I never felt deprived because we were all so close.
We are raising our kids differently. I tell them I love them constantly, kiss them, hug them etc. I can't say it's entirely because I want to be different than my mom, I just do it out of true desire & impulse. I just can't help kissing these kids & loving on them constantly.

February 27th, 2013, 10:58 AM
inlove08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My family and dhs said I love you and still do in our families.
We say it to Emma and she replies by mmuuaahhh and blows us a kiss

Thank you Vicki.... for my beautiful siggie!!!
February 27th, 2013, 01:31 PM
babi_lovin11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to babi_lovin11
Robs family is not very open with their feelings. He said he does not remember his parents kissing or hugging him and his siblings as children. They try to be more loving it seems with my kids, they tell them that they love them but it seems rather forced.
Rob does not say I love you to his parents.

I tell my parents and my siblings that I love them whenever I say goodbye to them or whatever. My mom was not always lovey when we were growing up but she changed as I got older. We are pretty close now and I talk to her 2+ times a day.

I tell my DH that I love him ALL the time, we are really into hugging and showing affection around the kids. Our kids love cuddles and hugs, carter also says Lub yew!!
February 27th, 2013, 04:06 PM
HeatherLopez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Was your family big on "I Love Yous" and other affection growing up?
What about DH/SO's family?

Not at all. My mom still never says it. I know she loves me, she just doesn't say it very often. My dad says it all the time like when he's leaving my house or when I get off the phone with him like.."Bye, see you later. Love you.", but I don't remember him saying it much growing up.

I don't say it to my siblings, because we didn't grow up saying it to each other, and it just doesn't feel natural to say it.

I think DH's family said/say it a lot. I always think it's sweet when he talks to his brother on the phone and says "I love you." before they hang up.

I tell my girls and my husband that I love them multiple times a day, every day.

Last edited by HeatherLopez; February 27th, 2013 at 04:13 PM.
March 1st, 2013, 04:41 AM
ChristyO's Avatar Regular
My own family was pretty openly affectionate, but my husband's was more dysfunctional, his dad split when he was 2 and he has mommy issues as well (gosh, did I pick a winner, LOL..sigh) so his family was not close. He has a one year older sister and a one year younger brother, and even THEY weren't close. I'm the one who said "I love you" first in the relationship. So I constantly tell Haley I love her, and I must say my husband has gotten way better with it. I insist that she hears it from him. She replies back "Dub Ooh!"

Last edited by ChristyO; March 1st, 2013 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Typo
March 1st, 2013, 06:44 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Growing up, it wasn't said a ton. However, when I left to go backpacking we started saying it all the time (age 20). It was weird at first but it's not anymore.

DH's family doesn't really say it much. Except when his sister was really sick.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search