Frustration Threshold

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2013, 07:02 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
How quickly does your child get frustrated?
What kinds of things frustrate them?

Do you think that this is nature related or nurture related?

Avery gets frustrated VERY easily. My friend is a speech pathologist and said Avery is what they refer to as a "low frustration threshold".

She has multiple meltdowns per day. Paper is not folding how she wants it? Insert screaming/crying. She can't reach something she wants? Immediate anger. Toy blocks won't stack easily? Knocks entire thing down and wails.
Wants up on the couch? She is not talking yet so something I try to do is say "you want up?" and give her a moment to try and say it (this is a method the speech pathologist gave us). She will whine right away. "Up?" I say one more time and she gets pi$$sed if I don't pick her up right away.

I think this is more just her personality. DH argues that it's because we "gave her waht she wanted too quickly" when she was younger. I beg to differ.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
March 1st, 2013, 07:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Brynlee is very laid back and doesn't get frustrated easily. Now she has her "whiney" moments at the exact same times of day. It's mostly when I am cooking dinner. She wants to be held. She wants to be picked up. So she will whine and have meltdowns, but she's not like that for the rest of the day.

I've watched her work on her ABC puzzle that she is very good at, but she ALWAYS gets annoyed with the "P". Instead of repeatedly trying, she tosses it aside LOL then does a few more then goes back to the P. Eventually she gets it, but that one always stumps her.

Oh oops I didn't finish answering your questions.

I am easily frustrated/annoyed. DH has a temper, but is not really easily frustrated. So it must just be her personality. She does NOT get it from me!

March 1st, 2013, 09:36 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Keelan is mostly laid back. One thing that gets him frustrated like nothing else is asking for boobie and not getting it right away. He also gets himself stuck in various places often (because he can't keep himself out of trouble!) and will cry "stuck" or "halp" if he can't get himself out.

Being removed from something he's not supposed to be doing will make him angry and he'll shake his finger at me and say "bad".
March 1st, 2013, 09:39 AM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How quickly does your child get frustrated? Dominic doesn't get frustrated very easily. He will try over and over until (usually) he finally gets the result he wants.
What kinds of things frustrate them? I find he is more frustrated by other people because he can't control them to a degree. He's very strategic when it comes to working on his own stuff, but to have me prevent him from doing what he wants, or his sister not let him take something to play with it the way he wants causes him to get pretty frustrated.

Do you think that this is nature related or nurture related? I think it's more nature related.

Neither DH or I are easily frustrated, although we both have things that set us off!. For DH he loses patience pretty quickly when it comes to the kids behavior, but is similar to Dominic in the way that if he's working on something he just keeps thinking of new ways to make it work the way he wants. I frustrate easily about some things, mostly I think it's just based on feeling like I'm failing at something that in my mind *should* be easy and I can be quite hard on myself. Kaitlyn is a lot more like me in that way. If she can't get her shoes on, she starts to get frustrated, if her arm gets stuck in her coat... if one of her toys isn't working. She never really had full on tantrums about any of those things (and I don't remember her being frustrated about much of anything as a toddler) but as she gets older I can tell she is more like me as in she is hard on her self and if she can't do something expected of her then yeah she gets down.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
March 1st, 2013, 09:45 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I didn't answer the rest of the question either. I'm not easily frustrated. It takes a lot to work me up, but when I get worked up? Look out.

Neely is has a bit of a temper, but he's not easily frustrated.
March 1st, 2013, 10:03 AM
Kim
Evan is a pretty laid back guy, but he has things that frustrate him easily. He's teething right now, so most things frustrate him. His big trigger for tantrums now is being told no or having something taken away from him. He has very very few words and doesn't use the ones he has very often, so I think a lack of communication is frustrating to him as well. DH is very laid back and doesn't get frustrated often; I'm fairly laid back, but I tend to get frustrated if things don't work out after a couple of tries. My daughter is very easily frustrated, but she's getting better. She was more laid back when she was smaller, but age 3 has killed most of the patience she had.

I think a lot of tantrums are age-related for these kiddos, and there are so many things that they're dealing with that they have no idea how to deal with yet, like emotions and communicating if they're not very verbal.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search