So sad * circ trigger warning

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By FallinWoman
  • 1 Post By Rachel

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2013, 05:29 AM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
Has anyone been following MotherWise on Facebook? I really like the page, it has lots of good information about all things mothering. Yesterday a baby died. Routine circumcision. For what? To have a penis to look like dads? My boys have never ever stood around comparing their penis with their dad. Not once. I know all the arguments for and against. I cut my first 2 boys. And then with the power of the Internet I researched before Colton was born and chose to leave him intact. Circumcision kills more babies every year than faulty car seat use and SIDS combined. I'm not judging. I put my first boys through it. I'm learning more about it everyday. I've felt regret over my decision for 15 years, so I did my research. I wish I had known more 21 years ago. Anyways I needed to share. Babies dying has this effect on me. If anyone wants to learn more head over to MotherWise.
Ps I'm not looking for a debate. If anyone feels attacked please know that is not my intent. I've been on both sides too.

[/url
March 10th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Destiny
I think that this sort of thing is one of the biggest reasons I didn't circ my son.

It's an unnecessary procedure that could take his life.
I had a friend whose baby hemorrhaged during a circumcision. He had a heart defect and was on blood thinners. They had already gone through multiple surgeries, months in the NICU. He made it through, but the possibility that they would have fought for his life all of those months only to lose him to something so stupid and avoidable is very chilling and heartbreaking to me.

March 10th, 2013, 06:31 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
So sad!!!
I will be keeping any boys I have intact for sure. I read a stat that only 10% of boys are circumsized in Canada these days.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
March 10th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There are approximately 117 deaths attributed to circumcision in the US each year. In 2009, there were 2,226 infant deaths attributed to SIDS. I can't stand when any side of any issue spouts inaccurate data.
~Rae~, Dee Darling 3 and TinaG1 like this.

Lew, 1, DSD Lauren, 18, and Chuck, 4
March 10th, 2013, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallinWoman View Post
There are approximately 117 deaths attributed to circumcision in the US each year. In 2009, there were 2,226 infant deaths attributed to SIDS. I can't stand when any side of any issue spouts inaccurate data.
Regardless of stats, though, that is still 117 dealths that were 1000000% preventable. SIDS, on the other hand, is not preventable as long as you follow reccomendations (back to sleep, no blankets, etc).

Proud mama to:

March 10th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonzgurl View Post
Regardless of stats, though, that is still 117 dealths that were 1000000% preventable. SIDS, on the other hand, is not preventable as long as you follow reccomendations (back to sleep, no blankets, etc).
True. And people who are arguing against circ'ing need only focus on that stat. It is a scary enough stat all by itself.

Lew, 1, DSD Lauren, 18, and Chuck, 4
March 10th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallinWoman View Post
Although there are widely different statistics about this depending on which source you look at, and most researchers agree that the total number of deaths due to circumcision is grossly underreported. A child may die from circumcision-related complications (for example, from heart failure following heart stress) several weeks after leaving the hospital, in which case neither his parents nor the doctor are likely to attribute the death to circumcision. In fact, they might even list the cause of death on the death certificate as "SIDS." Moreover, when infants do die from circumcision, physicians have a powerful incentive to downplay this (i.e. by listing the cause of death as "infection" rather than specifically circumcision), especially given that the AAP has indicated that routine infant circumcision is not necessary.

Neither of my boys is circ'ed. Neither is my husband. I am so glad that he and I are on the same page about this is. These kinds of stories are heartbreaking.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)

Last edited by Quantum_Leap; March 10th, 2013 at 09:12 AM.
March 10th, 2013, 01:08 PM
r&lsmama
That's so sad
March 10th, 2013, 04:41 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's very sad

Dominic is in tact and I have never regretted that decision. Though, I have no issues with parents who chose to have it done either. To each their own. But 117 preventable deaths is tragic, I had no idea it was even that high when I made the decision not to do it.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
March 10th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't circ Silas because 1) It costs money here 2) I didn't want to take care of it and 3) If it isn't broke don't fix it.

How did he die?
March 11th, 2013, 06:08 AM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
I didn't circ Silas because 1) It costs money here 2) I didn't want to take care of it and 3) If it isn't broke don't fix it.

How did he die?
He bled out.

[/url
March 11th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Yeah, it's so sad! From my understanding a lot of circ deaths are not labeled circ deaths but whatever they died of that was a result of the circ itself (bleeding out, organ failure ect). So yeah, there are probably way more deaths a year from it, it's definitely not as "routine and safe" as it's promoted to be. Poor baby and the family, I mean, I have the most horrible guilt for circing my first 3 boys so I can't even, don't even, want to think about what that family is going to feel in the future.

Facebook
March 11th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobi4 View Post
He bled out.
Because he was a hemophiliac.
~Rae~ likes this.
March 12th, 2013, 03:27 PM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
I had my son done less than three months ago, and it WAS so routine and "easy". He never showed any signs of being in pain afterwards, and I couldn't believe how fast it healed! It is so "out there" for me to think of a baby dying from that!!! (Even though I know it happens.) I seriously seem to bleed more from a hang nail than I ever saw in Tucker's diaper - and I am not exaggerating

I don't regret our decision at all, but I respect people who decide against it as well
March 12th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia_16_ View Post
I had my son done less than three months ago, and it WAS so routine and "easy". He never showed any signs of being in pain afterwards, and I couldn't believe how fast it healed! It is so "out there" for me to think of a baby dying from that!!! (Even though I know it happens.) I seriously seem to bleed more from a hang nail than I ever saw in Tucker's diaper - and I am not exaggerating

I don't regret our decision at all, but I respect people who decide against it as well
Tricia, he bled out because he had a clotting disorder that no one knew about. He could have easily died from a lip tie fix or some other minor surgery (not suggesting that circ is a minor surgery, just saying). He was a hemophiliac.
March 12th, 2013, 07:55 PM
I feel so sorry for this family. Can you imagine doing something that you thought was routine and no big deal and having your child die? I don't even want to think about it.

Proud mama to:

March 13th, 2013, 10:42 PM
CoreenaC's Avatar Carter-Carter's Momma
:-( that's heartbreaking. Soooo happy Carter is uncut. We believe in body integrity for both sexes.
DS2-EDD 9/10/14
*Thank you so much *Kiliki* for the siggy!*
March 13th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmm haven't heard of that site.

Sad story :-(

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search