Moms of boys

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 13th, 2013, 08:23 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you let your boys play with dolls? Would you let them if they asked?

DS sees his sisters playing with dolls all the time, so in order to save his sister's dolls from his little hands I bought him a doll that is for him. I also bought him a bath time doll that is wearing a pair of swim shorts and comes with a towel and a frog to play with. DH is not impressed. DS on the other hand is as happy as can be and carries his "baby" with him everywhere. Am I wrong letting him play with dolls?

This is the "baby" I got him:
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/40196302/

And this is the bath one:
http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/playgro-...hBox=&addFacet=

March 13th, 2013, 09:02 AM
r&lsmama
DS is 3 an yes we let him play with dolls. He doesn't have his own, but he plays with Layla's. the two of them pretend to put the babies to bed and feed them.
March 13th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
No boy here but I think it's sweet when boys play with dolls. There's a boy at daycare though who bangs the dolls on the table. I think he hates babies lol

March 13th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't think it's a big deal at all.

William Jeffery, born 8/1/11
Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
http://www.anilandcontinuied.blogspot.com/
http://reverendanissa.blogspot.com/
March 13th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Thanks ladies. I didn't think it was a big deal, but DH isn't all that happy with the idea of his son playing with dolls.

He grew up in a family of distinct boy and girl roles. His sisters learned to cook and bake, he learned to look after the horses and outside jobs. He played with dinky cars and his sisters played with dolls and tea sets. I think he's still a little stuck in that mind set because of the way he was raised.

March 13th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Yes Keelan has his own doll that was actually Daniel's when he was little but he also plays with all of Gabby's dolls.
March 13th, 2013, 10:01 AM
.stargirl.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I definitely don't see anything wrong with it. I haven't gotten one specifically for him, but he plays with all of DD's dolls and pushes them around in the stroller, etc.
March 13th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
I would totally let my boys play with dolls, if they ever showed any interest! Lol, whenever we go to Toddler Time at our church, I always try to push the dolls on them, but they could seriously care less.

They do, however, both really like to play with the toy food and toy kitchens, and I'm very happy about that as well. Maybe they'll take over cooking duties for me someday!

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
March 13th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have several dolls. I even got a special one for Chuck while I was pregnant with Lew. We practiced putting "Jason" in the swing, in the crib, changing his diaper, etc before Lew arrived. Now Lew carries Jason around. I think it is healthy for kids to explore all play, not just the "correct" stuff for their gender.
irishblessing and mandy5586 like this.

Lew, 1, DSD Lauren, 18, and Chuck, 4
March 13th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Speaking from the other side, Brynlee has lots of "boy" toys. She has LOTS of dolls, dress up stuff, kitchen, etc, but she also has a "Boy" 4 wheeler that she plays on every single day. A fishing pole set, and some other toys.

March 13th, 2013, 10:31 AM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think it's a big deal at all. I don't get why a boy shouldn't pretend to nurture something? My daughter was never into dolls so we only have a couple around. They almost never play with them.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
March 13th, 2013, 10:34 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
He will someday be a father or have little siblings baby cousins why shouldn't he learn young? I see nothing wrong with it at all.

March 13th, 2013, 10:43 AM
I don't think there is any problem with it. My son was never really into it until our daughter was born and then he would pretend everything was his baby. Now he is the sweetest, best big brother. They play together, she will play cars or ninja turtles with him and he will play dolls and baby with her.
March 13th, 2013, 11:02 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I bought him an Ernie doll not too long ago. He plays with it sometimes. Tim doesn't have a problem with that.
He won't let him play with Layla's Tinkerbell and things related though. He wants to do EVERYTHING Layla does, so sometimes he tries to get that doll out. When Tim sees it, he takes it and gives him something else.
I don't think anything of it. That's his son. I like to do girly girl things with my daughter and have an opinion on what toys I'd like her to have. I dress her up in princess clothes and paint her nails, and love to see her playing with things that I either had when I was young, or wish I had had when I was young. I see nothing wrong with Tim doing the same with his boy. He's just not the kind of man who would say, "Hey son, go get your doll so we can play." They play boring boy stuff.

That's just the way we do things here, but I don't think anything is wrong with those who do things differently.

March 13th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Thanks ladies. I'm feeling a little more confident in standing up for DS and his baby.

DD1 is totally not a girly girl, she'd rather play outside, do sports and get dirty, when she was younger her favourite thing was Thomas. DH didn't have a problem with that. I tried to get her into dress up and tea parties but she wouldn't have anything to do with it so I got over it and bought her trains and cars.

DD2 is our girly girl, all dress up and princess and dolls. She'll only play with "boy toys" if she's entertaining her brother.

DS so far seems to love his trucks and they are his go to toy, but he carries around a "baby" when we get ready to go out or if he's tired. DH keeps trying to get him to carry a puppy instead, but it's not happening.

March 13th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Kim
Evan plays with dolls often. I haven't bought him one of his own simply because we have so many of them of Jenna's anyway. I see no reason why boys shouldn't have a little baby or play with dolls. DH has no problem with Evan playing with dolls or any of Jenna's things. DH will even put Jenna's headbands and butterfly wings on Evan if he wants them. Why not?
mccaroline likes this.

March 13th, 2013, 12:49 PM
LOL! Oh the looks I got when I did that to DS. I was doing the girl's hair for school one morning and they both wanted pony tails. When I was done with the girls DS brought me the brush and the elastics and pointed to his hair saying "Me! Me!" so I put a little tiny pony tail in his hair. I was told to get that out of his hair!

The girls dressed him up as Belle one afternoon and I took a picture, DH won't let me post it anywhere or show anyone because his son is not a girl.

March 13th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Kim
Aw! Poor buddy just wants to have fun with his sisters. I'm so happy DH isn't silly about that kind of stuff. I'd probably do more of that stuff on purpose just to make him mad if he did, lol. And I'd definitely be posting that picture!

March 13th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
He does, and I have NO problem with him playing with them. I mean, I hope he is a father one day, and I would love for him to mature that nurturing part of himself. God knows the world doesn't need anymore dead beat dads.
March 14th, 2013, 12:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have no problem with it but my hubby does. That said the only doll he has is a little caillou doll my mom got him. When he is at my mom's house he does like to push this one dollie around in a stroller. Other than that he really isn't interested in it.

It's sad that society has made it that it isn't "right" if a boy plays with a doll, yet there really isn't a stigma if girls have boys toys.

I think the dolls you picked out are perfect. They are boy dolls and they aren't "girly" at all.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search