Breastfeeding Help! (not my Aug baby)

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By CoreenaC

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 13th, 2013, 12:07 PM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
So for the past two weeks or so I have been having the HARDEST time nursing Tucker. He acts hungry, will latch perfectly, drink for about 5 minutes and then he starts to get PISSED. He starts off by squirming, then turns red, and starts screaming. I can usually relatch him, but only for about 30 seconds at a time.

I switch sides, and the same thing happens. He won't burp in between sides, but does give one giant burp when he's finished. He has gone from eating ten minutes on each side to maaaybe 12-14 minutes combined - and that is including all the crying, unlatching and relatching.

I had an apt for Kaylee today so I brought Tucker in and asked them to weigh him. They said they like to see babies gain from .5 to .8oz per day, so since it has been 22 days since he was weighed we were hoping for at least 11oz weight gain. He only gained 6

I nursed in front of the dr and she was stumped! He swallows the whole time he nurses, and there is still enough milk that I can squirt some out when he stops. He has no thrush or anything in his mouth.

I am being sent to a breast feeding clinic tomorrow, but was wondering if any of you ladies have any idea what could be wrong?
March 13th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
How's your let down? Do you think it's overactive?
March 13th, 2013, 05:28 PM
I'm not sure!? I have never felt letdowns before. When he does unlatch my milk isn't squirting like crazy, but I can get a "stream" when I squeeze.

I don't know why (if it is a letdown - either overactive or too slow) it would all the sudden be a problem with him though? He was fine for the first two months!
March 13th, 2013, 06:37 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
My guess is since you are not soaking him its probably not over active but its slowed down slower than he would like because of the pill. I bet going off the pill and some natural supplements for upping your supply would do the trick. I would continue to nurse on demand not on any kind of schedule to help with the supply.
Rachel and tobi4 like this.

March 13th, 2013, 06:56 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
How old is he now? Growth spurt also causes weird things, what about something you are recently not agreeing with him. Check kellymom.com it has tons of resources.

March 13th, 2013, 10:57 PM
CoreenaC's Avatar Carter-Carter's Momma
It could be something in your diet bothering his belly and he associates nursing with pain. I would try eliminating some of the most commonly irritating food and go from there. There's a lot that can affect a weight reading as well, every ounce is important but so easy to be affected by when his last wet/dirty diaper was, how close to the last nursing, if it was the same time as the last time he was weighed and the same scale.
tobi4 likes this.
DS2-EDD 9/10/14
*Thank you so much *Kiliki* for the siggy!*
March 17th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Happy Mommy
is 22 days as in 22 days old? if so there's a 3 week growth spurt, and he probably thinks he is STARVING and it's not fast enough for him.
March 18th, 2013, 07:14 AM
No, he is three months old (which is also a growth spurt). It had been 22 days since he was weighed. He can eat as often as he likes, but he refuses to!

The LC I saw said it's teething.

I am waiting until my next apt with her Friday and if he isn't happier and gained some weight by then I have decided to switch to formula. Everyone in our household is miserable because he won't eat and it just isn't worth it to me. I'd rather him gain weight and be healthy than to breastfeed.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search