Off Topic (not baby related) - Allergic to Caffeine?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2013, 05:26 PM
HeatherLopez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Okay, so I don't actually think I'm allergic to Caffeine, but maybe?

My parents popped No doz like nothing when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure they were addicted to those things. I have never had much caffeine in my diet. I don't really like soda, never tried monster/red bull or any of those energy drinks. I never drink Coffee. A couple years back a friend of mine raved about these diet/energy pills called Oxy Pro Elite. They recommend 2 pills at a time twice a day. I only took 1 pill a day instead, and every time I took it, I threw up. (I stopped after the 3rd time) The caffeine level was 100 mg.

Today I tried an energy drink marketed by Advocare called Spark. Another friend of mine has been talking it up for weeks, and gave me a free sample. Once again....I threw it up. 120 mg of caffeine. 6 hours later and I am still feeling jittery and slightly dizzy.

What gives? I googled it, and can't seem to find anyone who has this kind of reaction to caffeine.
March 14th, 2013, 05:53 PM
GoldenTickets's Avatar Super Mommy
I get headaches if I drink caffeine. Seriously. I can't even drink a can of Coke, let alone a Mountain Dew or energy drink! I've been like this for as long as I can remember. About 8 years ago I bought a can of Orange Sunkist, thinking it was caffiene free. (The pop machine had NO Sprite or lemonade choices!) I got maybe 1/4 of the way through it, and started feeling queasy. Looked at the ingredients and saw that it did contain caffeine. I had some hot green tea a couple years ago, thinking that the caffeine level was low, but it made me queasy as well. Needless to say, I only drink items now if they are guaranteed to be caffeine free!

E: 8/18/11
March 14th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am fine with tea (most of the time), but high doses like coffee either gives me a migraine and jitters, or I get REALLY crabby.

When I was a kid I wasn't allowed to eat choco, and if I did (at like Easter) I would have to eat as much as I could in one sitting because whether I had one piece or 15, I would be moody.
March 14th, 2013, 06:04 PM
HeatherLopez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
crazy. Well I'm glad to see other people have adverse reactions to caffeine, so at least it's not that unusual.
March 14th, 2013, 06:05 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have anything near your reaction, but I am pretty sensitive to caffeine when comparing myself to other people I know.
One cup of watered down coffee curbs my appetite for hours & gives me a burst of energy. One 5 Hour Energy shot lasts me 4 days. I take two small sips a day, & I'm good for 4 hours. My sister on the other hand says she feels NO difference when drinking coffee AND drinking an entire energy shot. I guess it just affects different people different ways.

March 15th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I get jittery if I have too much, but it's nothing for me to have 3 cans of Diet Mountain Dew a day. Or 3 cans of Diet Dr. Pepper. I think that's about 150 mgs a day, but all of that at once would make me jittery too!
March 15th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My sister can't have any soda or coffee. Her heart starts skipping beats. So it is certainly possible you are having a reaction to the caffeine!

Lew, 1, DSD Lauren, 18, and Chuck, 4
March 15th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallinWoman View Post
My sister can't have any soda or coffee. Her heart starts skipping beats. So it is certainly possible you are having a reaction to the caffeine!
Yep, I get that too! But only if I OD on it!
March 17th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Happy Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLopez View Post
Okay, so I don't actually think I'm allergic to Caffeine, but maybe?

My parents popped No doz like nothing when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure they were addicted to those things. I have never had much caffeine in my diet. I don't really like soda, never tried monster/red bull or any of those energy drinks. I never drink Coffee. A couple years back a friend of mine raved about these diet/energy pills called Oxy Pro Elite. They recommend 2 pills at a time twice a day. I only took 1 pill a day instead, and every time I took it, I threw up. (I stopped after the 3rd time) The caffeine level was 100 mg.

Today I tried an energy drink marketed by Advocare called Spark. Another friend of mine has been talking it up for weeks, and gave me a free sample. Once again....I threw it up. 120 mg of caffeine. 6 hours later and I am still feeling jittery and slightly dizzy.

What gives? I googled it, and can't seem to find anyone who has this kind of reaction to caffeine.
I am overly sensitive to caffeine, I get stomach aches, head aches, the shakes and all of that. even from Dr Pepper (but still drink it LOL )

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search