Too Many Holidays?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Leogirl
  • 2 Post By Leogirl

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2013, 06:41 PM
E Mama's Avatar Super Mommy
http://http://www.rageagainstthemini...own-notch.html

Someone posted this on facebook today... what do you ladies think?

Edit: okay, I don't know how to enter a hyperlink. Here you go, a direct link: http://www.rageagainsttheminivan.com...own-notch.html

Edit 2: I figured out how to do a hyperlink! Bring the Holidays down a notch

Last edited by E Mama; March 19th, 2013 at 06:43 PM.
March 20th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I agree completely. We do Christmas and birthdays. And our kids get things throughout the year as special treats, but not on specific holidays.
March 20th, 2013, 09:42 AM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree, that sounds like a bit much! I understand wanting to make fun events for the children but I don't think they need to go all out every single holiday. And I hope I don't have to send a goody bag of candy for every student when holidays roll around and I have kids in school. That would get crazy if you have several kids in school with larger classes.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
March 20th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't celebrate holidays the way most people do so I don't think they are a big deal.
R&Lsmama and momie2b9-20-11 like this.

March 20th, 2013, 10:16 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
They didn't do anything at my kids school for as David calls it leprechaun day. He wore green and that's about it. For the 100 days of school they did activities at school but I didn't have to do anything. Its a big deal in kindergarten because thats one of their objEctives, counting and writing to 100. David was also very happy with his Star Wars no candy valentines. I think that it's all how the parents play it. If you make it a big deal it will become one. So I say I agree to an extent but not 100%.

March 20th, 2013, 12:57 PM
r&lsmama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leogirl View Post
I don't celebrate holidays the way most people do so I don't think they are a big deal.
How does our family celebrate? I'm interested if you want to share

I agree, there are so many "holidays" and "celebrate days" now it's crazy!
March 20th, 2013, 04:19 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't go all out for any holiday, so it's not really a bid deal to me.

March 20th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by R&Lsmama View Post
How does our family celebrate? I'm interested if you want to share

I agree, there are so many "holidays" and "celebrate days" now it's crazy!

We tend to celebrate the more "pagan" side of things. Our main holidays are Walpurgis Night (May 1st- which is pretty much a spring festival with music, dancing, bonfires, food, and getting dressed up),Halloween, and birthdays. As a family we do Thanksgiving with a large meal and we do something similar to Christmas but it's more yule/Saturnalia.

Other than that, Valentines day, St Paddy's day, ect are adult holidays which means the adults are going out drinking!
R&Lsmama and Dee Darling 3 like this.

March 20th, 2013, 06:11 PM
E Mama's Avatar Super Mommy
E is my only child right now, but reading her post was such a relief to me! I get Mommy guilt sometimes that I don't go all out for things. Elf on a Shelf, fancy Valentines and Easter Eggs... All those really cool ideas you see on Pinterest! I'm not creative, handy, or creative, and I know I'm never going to be a super-mom. I don't have the energy to do all kinds of fancy things (except for the Easter scavenger hunt I want to start next year!), and it's nice to know that other Moms out there feel the same.

I had a coworker whose middle school age daughter once asked for a video game for Easter.... she was promptly told that Easter is not an excuse to get gifts! But I can see the slippery slope. It starts with dollar store crayons and coloring books as small kids, but if you continue giving Easter/Valentines/Etc. gifts to kids as they get older (especially if there are younger siblings), what do you get them?? I don't think a 14-year old would truly want crayons!

March 20th, 2013, 09:21 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We get the kids a small box of chocolate I'm talking 1.00 box for valentines. And as Easter goes at least when we were kids my parents just transitioned into like a 5 dollar gift card or nothing. We knew never to expect anything especially for Easter since its a religious holiday for us.

March 21st, 2013, 07:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We don't do up holidays big. We do celebrate Christmas, but keep things on the smaller side (price and quantity), as well as Thanksgiving. Easter for us is more about the eggs. We will do Easter baskets, but because we don't really do candy in our house, the kids will get a few stickers, a coloring book, some seeds to plant, and jump ropes (the older ones at least). We only do cards for Valentines, no candy. St. Patrick's Day we did do the leprechaun traps, but each kid got a ring pop we had stashed away in a cabinet.

Now my MIL on the other hand, that's a WHOLE different story. She's just over the top - even buys clothes for the kids to wear on the holiday itself.
March 21st, 2013, 09:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We don't really do holidays here so not big deal for us. But, I agree, it's getting bad sometimes. Before being married I worked at a daycare and substitute teacher. I liked decorating things and making the room fun but at one place we'd actually get 'written up' if they didn't think we had enough stuff hung from the ceiling, on the walls and going home with the kids. WHAT?! That really took a lot of the fun out of it for me as I was forced to try and do things and ended up spending less time with the kids and helping the kids learn. And, I didn't have the money to go and get something for every toddler in the class for each and every holiday!
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6
March 21st, 2013, 03:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We do some holidays but make a bigger deal of some than others. It's how I was raised. But I don't go overboard... for example easter coming up, I am puting a basket together for dd but it's all simple things (bouncy ball, crayons, coloring book) all of which are things I would buy her anyways (since we don't have any).

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

March 21st, 2013, 04:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't click the link, but I like holidays. Now I am not a creative type person so I don't sit around doing crafts and crap. But I do like to buy holiday themed shirts or dresses or oufits. I plan to do cutesie Valentine's Day things with Brynlee/kids each year, but nothing super big. My family and Joey's family do a lot for Christmas, but DH and I don't. DH's family gets together for most holidays.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search