Thrifty Thursday

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2013, 03:36 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
What if anything do you do to save money?

Do you buy second hand clothes, for yourself or LO?

Do you pick up someone else's internet (like a neighbor)?

Do you usually bring your own meals on vacations, or road trips?

March 21st, 2013, 08:03 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
What if anything do you do to save money? Well we have a LOT of bills so other than those. We dont do much at all, we save money by not spending it too often.

Do you buy second hand clothes, for yourself or LO? Yes, a LOT of Garys stuff is yardsale, Ebay or cousins.

Do you pick up someone else's internet (like a neighbor)? I wish. But we are stupid with this, we pay almost 200 dollars a month for cable and internet. I know. Its dumb. (this is where we need to improve)

Do you usually bring your own meals on vacations, or road trips? We save money but never going anywhere haha.

March 21st, 2013, 08:33 AM
ShelleyB80's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What if anything do you do to save money? Oh God...lol...haven't been able to do that in a VERY long time! I wish someone could tell me how.

Do you buy second hand clothes, for yourself or LO? Second hand for LO, yes. But thankfully I have a generous dad who is well-off so my kids do get "nice" clothes bought for them on occasion! Mommy NEVER buys any new clothes

Do you pick up someone else's internet (like a neighbor)? Nope

Do you usually bring your own meals on vacations, or road trips? We don't really take vacations or road trips at all, so I really can't answer this.
March 21st, 2013, 09:58 AM
kazarmo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What if anything do you do to save money? I shop at Aldi and try not to buy things unless really necessary.

Do you buy second hand clothes, for yourself or LO? I do buy mostly 2nd hand for myself and my oldest. Usually new clothes are only bought for christmas and birthday time. Lina gets clothes donated to her because all of my friends have little girls. I've only bought a handful of outfits for her in a year and a half. The new baby has only 1 new outfit and thats her going home outfit. She will be wearing all of Lina's old clothes.

Do you pick up someone else's internet (like a neighbor)? Nope, I wish we could. We only pay 40 a month for internet. We don't have cable but we do pay for netflix for the kids and I guess myself too. SO barely watches tv.
I refuse to pay for cable due to the extreme amounts they charge. Internet is almost a must, well for me it's an addiction so I have to have it.

I usually do pack a ton of snacks, not really meals per say unless it's a one day trip then yes I will pack sandwiches. The last family vacation we took was in our state and I packed bread, meat and milk, cereal, snacks etc because feeding my huge family out to lunch/dinner every day is just not affordable.

~~~~~~~~~~~
dd15 born weighing 6 pds 2 ounces, 19 inches. 12-3-96
dsd12
dsd10
dd9 months born weighing 6 pds 5 ounces, 19 1/2 inches. 12-22-2011
Expecting baby #3 ANOTHER GIRL!!!!!!! woot woot

March 21st, 2013, 10:15 AM
Lorena26's Avatar ♥ Gio's Mommy ♥
What if anything do you do to save money? meal plan, price match in stores/online when buying larger items, eat at home a lot vs. eating out, send DH to work with lunch and snacks so he doesn't have to buy there

Do you buy second hand clothes, for yourself or LO? nope

Do you pick up someone else's internet (like a neighbor)? nope

Do you usually bring your own meals on vacations, or road trips? not on vacation but on road trips we'll bring snacks, and if we're going out for the day to Disney we'll usually bring some snacks too (sometimes a small meal like a sandwich)

March 21st, 2013, 10:30 AM
Julka
We keep a budget that we update both weekly, monthly and on as-needed basis. DH & I both update it. We have a grocery budget, free-spending budget, kids-budget, and we budget for upcoming events, occasions, trips on a per-month basis.

Do you buy second hand clothes, for yourself or LO?
Myself, no. (last time I did was maternity clothes), but everything I buy for myself is new; I do shop sales though (not always) and print coupons from online to use in stores or order online with coupon codes.

For the kids, they get hand-me-downs from cousins, but I still buy them new clothes and they get lots of new clothes for Christmas & their birthday (large family). I stop at Once Upon A Child sometimes too and get things. I guess they have a combination of both.

But I'm a bit of a.. "snob", I basically like kids hand-me-downs as long as they don't "scream" that they're used, they have to look new or like-new, otherwise they don't get worn, or they wear them to do crafts in.

No, we pay for our own high-speed internet.

Yeah, sometimes I pack lunch & snacks for everyone! I do make DH's lunch for work like 90% of the time.
March 21st, 2013, 12:15 PM
sugarloafbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a budget for just about everything and we try to stick with it. I cook from scratch a lot at home and we eat most meals in. We also use cloth diapers (and we have 2 in diapers), which saves a ton.

Do you buy second hand clothes, for yourself or LO? Yes and yes. I buy almost all of our girls clothes in good condition second hand. I also buy a good portion new from clearance racks for $1-$3 a piece. I try and buy ahead so I'm not stuck paying retail, but on occasion I will. For myself I buy used only every now and then, I mostly buy new. I shop at Target and clearance racks and keep my wardrobe pretty minimal so it's not much anyway.

No we pay for our own. We pay $65 for home phone and internet package. We don't have cable. I don't consider the cost to be a problem.

Always. We like to travel so this is the only way we can make that happen. I always make a menu plan and do as much as possible ahead of time (freezer meals, shopping ect) so I don't end up actually cooking much while on vacation. We usually choose one or two meals that we will eat out and that's it.
March 21st, 2013, 01:47 PM
~Momma*2011~'s Avatar I love my little girl!!
What if anything do you do to save money? I coupon (my new obsession) and keep our income on a budget.

Do you buy second hand clothes, for yourself or LO? We both have a mixture of new and 2nd had clothes. Clothes for daycare she has second hand however major event she has new clothes.

Do you pick up someone else's internet (like a neighbor)? Nope we pay for our own.

Do you usually bring your own meals on vacations, or road trips? We rarly go on vacations or major road trip but when we do travel, I always pack snacks. Meals I normally save up extra to set aside for that expense.

March 21st, 2013, 04:58 PM
jmills1129's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What if anything do you do to save money? We are doing the 52 week challenge. other than that, I dont spend money!

Do you buy second hand clothes, for yourself or LO?no, but she gets clothes from her cousins

Do you usually bring your own meals on vacations, or road trips? I always pack food on trips

9w4d, June, 16 2013
Missing My Angel baby
March 28th, 2013, 09:52 PM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What if anything do you do to save money? We shop sales, budget, meal plan

Do you buy second hand clothes, for yourself or LO? yes, unless its on a good sale or something I really want I rarely buy new for any of us. Hubby included.

Do you usually bring your own meals on vacations, or road trips? depends on the trip, for the most part I dont but when we go to the In Laws soon I will pack snacks

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3
March 29th, 2013, 07:36 AM
ShelleyB80's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I second the couponing strategy. I don't do it but I'll probably start. It seems like a pain, but worth it in the long run.

Last night I actually spent $100 on NEW stuff for the kids. That never happens! I got my older son shoes, my daughter a few packs of underwear, and Cody some new onesies. Normally all their stuff is second hand.
April 3rd, 2013, 08:30 AM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
What if anything do you do to save money? We cloth diaper, we shop at ross and the thrift stores and online buy sell trade places. We coupon, we paid off our car early to save on interest. I cook meals and we only go out to eat occasionally.

Do you buy second hand clothes, for yourself or LO? No, my friend from the Army shipped up a 38 pound box of clothes that took her up to a year for Madison, and then I have 2 brothers so my mom has been boxing up and sending me their clothes. We buy her new stuff if we see something is worth it. I don't buy used clothes, Patrick does. I shop at ross or TJ maxx and stuff though. I don't need brand name clothes to feel cool.

Do you pick up someone else's internet (like a neighbor)? No. Even if I wanted to they named their internet "Pay-for-your-own-$hi7" HAH.

Do you usually bring your own meals on vacations, or road trips? No. We might get a bag of chips but we usually stop at fast food and get something. We won't be having any road trips for a while. I am not up to entertaining 2 babies on a 16 hour drive to TX, no way no how! I can't even fit back there anymore!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search