Will isn't growing

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I meant to post this a while ago but with everything that happened with Evan being born early I just didn't have time.

When I took Will to his 18 month check up the dr said he hasn't really grown or gained any weight in 6 months. She said to pack his diet full of calories and check back in a month. If he still hasn't gained or grown they are going to do blood & urine work. Does anyone have any experience with this? What if he has a thyroid problem? What is the protocol for that?
R&Lsmama likes this.

William Jeffery, born 8/1/11
Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
http://www.anilandcontinuied.blogspot.com/
http://reverendanissa.blogspot.com/
March 27th, 2013, 07:30 AM
r&lsmama
Layla had a not growing problem. She went from really high on the scale for weight, to on the low end. This was from right before a year to her 18 month check. In between we did 2 weight checks. They had us do a high calorie diets, then did a blood (for celiacs) and urine test. at her 18 month check the high calorie diet payed off. they were super happy with her gain, and canceled any more weight checks. She's goes back at 2. we were advised to keep some of the high calorie tricks in her diet and keep up the good work.
March 27th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
AJ spent a year in 18 month clothes. I think its pretty common and some kids just hit their plateau younger than others. With AJ the DR thought part of the problem was he wouldn't drink anything but water for a long time so he wasn't getting the calories from liquids.
Now he's 5 and wearing size 6 clothes and a little porkchop
Try adding some high calorie high nutrient foods like avacados to his diet.

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

March 27th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I have to take Keelan back for a 21 month appointment because he hardly put on weight during the 6 months between 12 months and 18 months. He gained less than a 1lb and is in the 3rd percentile.

I'm not worried about it. It's common for toddlers to slow down. They are busy and less worried about eating, so they end up burning more calories than they eat. I'm considering not even going to the appointment.
March 27th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by R&Lsmama View Post
Layla had a not growing problem. She went from really high on the scale for weight, to on the low end. This was from right before a year to her 18 month check. In between we did 2 weight checks. They had us do a high calorie diets, then did a blood (for celiacs) and urine test. at her 18 month check the high calorie diet payed off. they were super happy with her gain, and canceled any more weight checks. She's goes back at 2. we were advised to keep some of the high calorie tricks in her diet and keep up the good work.
This sounds exactly like us. What kinds of foods did you feed her?

Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
March 27th, 2013, 11:15 AM
r&lsmama
Does he drink a lot of milk or other liquids?
March 27th, 2013, 11:20 AM
r&lsmama
I looked at lots of sites with high calorie toddler foods. Here's one: http://www.framingham.edu/food-and-n...r-toddlers.pdf we did things like fish, pasta, lots of fruit, we mixed heavy cream with Mac n cheese, chicken. I'm mobile now, but can go into detail on meals when I get home if you'd like.

Our pedi had us not give crackers/goldfish, she said it was empty calories.

Another thing we noticed was Layla would sorta "fill up" on liquids, so we started offering her drinks half way through a meal.

By the time she went to her 18 month appt , she had gained 3 pounds from her last weight check (about 7 weeks earlier). they were pretty happy with that.

In between we did check for celiacs, which was a blood draw from the arm. It took about a minute. It came back with a few numbers off and we are re testing at 2.
March 27th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Kim
My Evan has actually lost a little bit between his 15 and 18month appointments. It was less than a pound, and I don't think my Dr was very concerned. He did start walking at 17 months and has been teething like crazy and not eating as much because of it. He still weighs 25lbs, so he's not tiny by any means. Anyway, I'd love to hear your fattenening up tips too.

March 27th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't think the weight is so much the concern as is the growth, or lack of. At least this would be my ped's concern. Little rose put on just over a pound in 3 months and 3 in the 6 months.

As far as thyroid testing, you'll have blood drawn (little rose had 5 vials drawn in January). They'll test for T4, TSH, and other thyroid functions. Depending on the results, Will may or may not have a thyroid problem. The dr could also do a wait and see approach with Will.

Hopefully, if your ped thinks there is a thyroid problem, you will get a referral to a pediatric endocrinologist. I hope Will doesn't have a thyroid problem and gains some weight for you.

Oh, and for reference, little rose had a TSH of 9.4 with a normal range of T4 last fall. Normal range of TSH is .8 - 4. This past January her TSH was down to 5.2. We will go back and see the ped endo in May and see how she's doing then.
March 27th, 2013, 06:40 PM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
Throughout his first year Colton maintained his growth at over the 100th percentile. Between 12 and 18 months he dipped back into the chart. He's only gained a pound in 6 months and I'm not worried even a little bit. He's busy, he's healthy, he's learning and most of the time he's pretty happy lol

[/url
March 28th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks everybody. I have been diligent about offering him all things fatty.milk, pasta, cheese, etc. his problem is that he just snacks all the time & hardly ever has a full meal. Right now his favorite thing to snack on is spoonfuls if peanut butter. At least that's a high calorie thing.

Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
March 28th, 2013, 09:54 AM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I read somewhere that a huge % of the calories toddlers take in is from snacking. I let Dominic snack as much as he likes as he's a pretty lean kid too. I personally don't see an issue with not gaining a lot, they go through different growth spurts. Dom didn't gain any weight form around 11 months until around 16 months. I just figured he was so active and not totally into eating much yet. He recently gained a few lbs finally but I wouldn't worry about Will too much if I were you I'm sure he is perfectly healthy.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
March 28th, 2013, 11:51 AM
CoreenaC's Avatar Carter-Carter's Momma
Carter had bloodwork draw at 12 months due to being off the charts and weight. His iron tested low, je takes a multi vitamin with iron and has jumped up the charts for height and a couple percentages for weight.

I have celiac and we are almost 100% Carter does as well. I was diagnosed at a year old. It can severaly affect weight and so many other aspects of your life. If you suspect it at all, I would ask for the testing. Carter is gluten free as a precaution until he is able to tell us if he's in pain.
R&Lsmama likes this.
DS2-EDD 9/10/14
*Thank you so much *Kiliki* for the siggy!*
March 28th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not really seeing the celiac thing with him. He eats bread all the time and pasta too. But she said it could also be his thyroid. Or it could be nothing. I sure hope its nothing.

Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
March 29th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We had this worry with joshua also as it was the same as your son. So we did the same with giving higher calorie foods. We went back a month later and the dr was happy with his progress therefore no further testing was done.

i attributed some of the slow weight gain due to the fact that he had gotten a lot more mobile therefore burning a lot more calories.
March 30th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ayla is like this. She has always been in the lower end of the charts (though has maintained 40% the last few). She is go-go-go-go-go all day, every day. Honestly, if I was like her I wouldn't gain weight either. She is also very petite, and always has been.
April 1st, 2013, 10:36 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I bet he's fine. I'm glad your doctor is keeping an eye on it, but I bet he's the type who will have a big jump in weight next time around. Kids grow differently.

April 5th, 2013, 10:10 AM
wingqueen26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AniLand View Post
When I took Will to his 18 month check up the dr said he hasn't really grown or gained any weight in 6 months. She said to pack his diet full of calories and check back in a month. If he still hasn't gained or grown they are going to do blood & urine work. Does anyone have any experience with this? What if he has a thyroid problem? What is the protocol for that?
Adele was flagged for the same thing PLUS her head circumference has not changed in 9 months so they ordered a neurologist consult which is coming up next month. I am sure it is nothing at least I hope not.

thank u quantum leap for my siggy

April 5th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingqueen26 View Post
Adele was flagged for the same thing PLUS her head circumference has not changed in 9 months so they ordered a neurologist consult which is coming up next month. I am sure it is nothing at least I hope not.
I hope everything is good. Please keep me posted on this.

Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
April 7th, 2013, 04:38 AM
wingqueen26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sure will. Her appointment is May 16. The pediatrician told us he cannot let it go until her 2 year visit to see if anything has changed, but that the appointment is for reassurance purposes only. He thinks a nurse may have overestimated head circum. at an earlier visit making it look like nothing has changed lately. She was also "shorter" at her most recent visit, another indicating that hasty measurements on the nurses part happen all the time.

thank u quantum leap for my siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search