Easter egg hunts

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2013, 10:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
If you do Easter egg hunts, how do you do them? Is it the same as how you had them as a kid? Same as DH had them as a kid?

When I was a kid, we had egg hunts with both plastic and real eggs. We decorated the eggs the day before. The fake eggs had candy, change, little money, etc. it was fun. We only did egg hunts when we were little though. I can't remember when we stopped them.

DH's family just does real eggs. Each kid (11 total) each had to find 7 eggs. That's all. DH said they have done that for as long as he can remember. It took like...5 minutes for everyone to find the eggs since they weren't very hidden.

I think next year I will do my own egg hunt at home with Brynlee plus the boring (lol) egg hunt that his family does.

April 1st, 2013, 10:37 AM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We hid plastic eggs around the house for the kids it was fun.
DFs grandma usually does an egg hunt but this year she didn't. I was glad though because SILs older kids are very rude and don't save eggs for the little ones to find.
When I was a kid we did real eggs!

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

April 1st, 2013, 10:50 AM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think we did egg hunts at the church when I was a child, but I don't remember too many details of what type of eggs they were. Not sure about DH.

In the past we have always done plastic eggs or the little chocolate eggs and hidden them around the yard. The kids both really enjoy that and Dominic loved it this year! he was so awesome at collecting eggs. We also decided to try a public egg hunt this year at a farm. I figured that would be awesome and we could start that into our traditions but it was awful lol. So I think I'll just invest the extra money into a better at home egg hunt next year.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
April 1st, 2013, 03:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When I was little we always did huge egg hunts at my grandparents' farm, usually with my cousins. We did the real eggs that we had dyed and plastic ones with stuff like candy and small amounts of money.
We haven't done one with Alex yet really. We might take her to one next year and will probably do a small one around the yard here. I bought some plastic eggs at walmart today for like a dollar for 48 of them. I'll save most for next year but I think I'm going to take some out and let her do a little hunt today.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

April 3rd, 2013, 01:00 AM
babi_lovin11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to babi_lovin11
When we were younger we had egg hunts in our home with plastic eggs filled with treats.

I do the same for the kids. They are not that hard to find but just scatterd around the house, the weather is always to cold to do it outside but next year Easter is in late April so I hope we can do a egg hunt outside. We also went to a egg hunt at the town hall but it was awful and the kids got like 3 eggs altogether, plus the weather was nice but the ground was muddy so it was difficult to get around.

Carter loved looking for eggs, he totally got the concept right away and put them in his basket!
April 3rd, 2013, 06:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't do many Easter egg hunts as a kid, so I don't remember if we had real or fake eggs. I do remember we actually had to "hunt" for the eggs though, which it doesn't seem like anyone does anymore. We've done a few Easter egg hunts in our yard, but have limited trees, plants or places to hide eggs, so it was hard to actually hide them. We also did one at my daughter's school last weekend and they just spread them on the ground for the kids.

Expecting baby #4!

April 3rd, 2013, 08:07 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
We don't do them, but Neely's dad usually has one at his house. But since it was raining this year, we didn't get to do it.
April 6th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
7 eggs and only 5 minutes-oh my!

The neighborhood I grew up in used to have a big block party and hide mostly real eggs in a vacant lot.

This year we did 2 egg hunts, one on Saturday at a local mall and the other was at a friends who hosted an Easter brunch.
There was not 1 single real egg anywhere. There were plastic eggs with toys, stickers and candy as well as just candy and chocolate eggs hidden around.
He ended up with an entire grocery bag full of candy and junk-more than at Halloween! My husband and I each ate about 2 Cadburry creme eggs and then I took the rest to work the next day.
My babe doesn't eat candy and I'm on Weight Watchers so we had no use for any of it in the house.
April 7th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Growing up we did easily 6-8 dozen real eggs and took turns hiding them all day and then usually over the next few days. We did a prize egg the first round and who ever found it got a prize that was usually chocolate or a small sum of money.

I hope to do stuff like that when Nara gets a little older. We didn't do eggs this year because it was so cold and rainy. We just did an Easter basket this year.

April 10th, 2013, 01:21 AM
ChristyO's Avatar Regular
We did the exact same thing for Haley that I used to do as a kid: one hunt at home for fun, just using the dyed hard boiled eggs we made, then a bigger hunt with the cousins at the grandparents, with plastic eggs containing money and treats. Of course, I had to steer her around since she really didn't know what was going on, but it was still fun!
April 10th, 2013, 06:17 AM
r&lsmama
The kids stop Easter egg hunts around 10 in our family, then it's for the toddlers. we never know how the weather will be, so how we do it depends on that. We either hide plastic eggs (filled with candy/suprises) and each child finds 10 of their color. Or we hide the baskets filled, and the children find their color basket.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search