Food and behavior

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By momie2b9-20-11

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2013, 12:15 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A lot of you know I have problems with my 5 year old. He's very "hyper", doesn't listen, and is just very wild in general.
I have so many things with him and nothing has or is working. After doing some research I'm thinking very seriously about removing "artificial" food from our home.
Food dye, artificial sugar, sodium benz, soy lecithin, pretty much anything artificial or prepackaged. I'm also going to reduce his ( and all of our) gluten intake.

Have any of you tried this? Did you notice a change?

I'm running out of ideas and its getting to the point he's bad more than he's good. If this is what it takes then so be it. We've already stopped keeping soda in the house and reducing his "unhealthy" snacks to one treat after school if he earns it.
I'm sure this won't go over well with him or DF but I'm at my wits end.

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

April 1st, 2013, 12:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Kara, I haven't tried that. My nephew has behavioral issues. They've restricted his tv watching (time and types of shows) and video games (he's 13). Not sure if you've tried that as well. Just another thought.
April 1st, 2013, 01:31 PM
Yep. They get 2 hours of screen time (.) That includes tv, movies, computer, video games, all of it. We started that a month ago and it hasn't changed anything, actually if anything he's gotten worse.
It seems like we've tried everything else so now we're changing the food.
I've cared for kids with autism and other issue who had to be additive/gluten free to avoid triggering certain behavior.
If this doesn't work I don't know what Ill do.

April 1st, 2013, 03:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope it works.
April 1st, 2013, 04:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had ADD (not hyper) as a child and getting me off artificial foods helped some. My brother who was hyper (ADHD) doing no artificial things worked very well for him. I'd say try it. If it doesn't work at least it's a healthy diet.

I know my mom would sometimes get "natural" candy or such at health food stores. It was a healthier option and didn't come with all the artificial additives. And, yet was a 'treat' for me. That's always an option also when you think he deserves a treat. Breyers ice cream is also all natural. It has sugar of course but isn't artificial (or at least a lot of theirs is not). Artificial colors (red 40, yellow 6, ect...) were the main things my mom kept me and my brother off of. Artificial flavors were not as bad it seemed as the colors. You can also make homemade Popsicles with real juice or breyers has some all natural real fruit Popsicle bars that are really good! Just some ideas that I know I enjoyed as a child while on the no food coloring diet. Good luck mama!!
tobi4 likes this.
April 1st, 2013, 04:51 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope this works for you guys!
We have a very hyperactive child in our pre-k classroom. To be honest, she's awful. She doesn't listen, can't focus, and just can't seem to control her behavior no matter what we do.
Her mom tried a special diet. I'm not sure if it is exactly what you are describing, but she explained that she would no longer be buying breakfast from the cafeteria and that she would not be eating anything with red dye in it.
I honestly didn't see a difference. She only tried it for about 4 weeks, so if this diet does work, maybe she didn't try it long enough. I'm pretty sure she'll be on meds within 18 months.

April 1st, 2013, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Rae~ View Post
I hope this works for you guys!
We have a very hyperactive child in our pre-k classroom. To be honest, she's awful. She doesn't listen, can't focus, and just can't seem to control her behavior no matter what we do.
Her mom tried a special diet. I'm not sure if it is exactly what you are describing, but she explained that she would no longer be buying breakfast from the cafeteria and that she would not be eating anything with red dye in it.
I honestly didn't see a difference. She only tried it for about 4 weeks, so if this diet does work, maybe she didn't try it long enough. I'm pretty sure she'll be on meds within 18 months.
This sounds just like AJ. He does have good days though.
We're going to have a visit to the Dr too. He's had some issues staying asleep/in bed in the middle of the night....

April 1st, 2013, 07:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope it works for you!

I have a cousin who's allergic to red #40. He was super hyper and terrible if he had it but fine all the rest of the time.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

April 2nd, 2013, 10:03 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Good luck!
April 2nd, 2013, 11:46 AM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know a few people that have done similar diets for children with mild autism and have said it made a huge difference, so I'm sure it couldn't hurt!

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
April 2nd, 2013, 04:59 PM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cutting out artificial dyes made a big difference when Sterling was younger. We still avoid them today but all it takes is one kid sharing something at school and it takes days to get out of his system :/ He knows he shouldn't have things with dyes but he's a kid and doesn't always think about it.

He has ADHD but a lot of his more wild behavior is cut actually caused by a sensory-seeking sensory processing disorder. Giving him sensory breaks where he gets some stimulus has helped a lot
April 2nd, 2013, 06:40 PM
Hazel I think you might be a lot of help to me. AJ has a sensory processing disorder too. He's gotten a lot better as he's gotten older but still needs heavy body contact and cannot be restrained in anyway without completely freaking out.
We've switched doctors twice because the first one blew off his issues (no therapy until 2 1/2 when he probably should have started services at about 12 months) then switched again because his last Dr thought medication was the answer to everything.
I don't want to medicate him but if we can't figure something out soon we won't have a choice,his behavior is getting really out of hand

April 2nd, 2013, 09:57 PM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sterling is not medicated--we want to give him a chance to use the other options before we go there! His current pedi is no help--she says she just handles meds and therapies are through the school :/ He does do behavioral, occupational, and speech therapy at school but they are so limited in what they can do and how much they can do. I am in the process of switching to the peds who work out of the Children's Hospital--they are supposed to be the best in several areas that my kids need

I'm not familiar with your story so please forgive me if I ask things you have written about in the past!

Does AJ have an IEP at school? Getting one for Sterling has made a big difference at school! If his ADHD is affecting his ability to learn at school, he qualifies under the "other" category.

Have you tried positive reinforcement? Sterling responds best to a high level of feedback. At school, he has a behavior chart and can earn a good or bad for each segment of his school day. If he gets enough goods, he gets "special time" with the Dean and they build legos or play games or something fun. He loves special time and the visual reminder of the chart and act of marking it off at the end of every activity helps keep him focused on good behavior. We do similar charts at home and also utilize a visual timer when he is doing homework/chores to help him focus.

Have you looked into any supplements? I read a lot of good things about fish oil helping with behavior so we started on a children's fish oil supplement and it helped--even Sterling noticed a difference and reminds me if I forget to give him his fish oil

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search