Teaching Not to do things..

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By sareymac
  • 1 Post By ratladee
  • 1 Post By kazarmo

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2013, 05:42 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
Okay so this is more of an advice thread... Gary has started hitting us and the dogs. Like hard. We have been taking him by the hand afterwards saying "you dont hit." "No, hitting mommy/daddy/toby/paisley" "Gentle" and taking his hand and "petting" lol And he A.) Cries hysterical. . . and we arent yelling at him, we say it stern, but in no way scaring him. B.) Runs away laughing C.) Does it again. . .lol

Sooooo I guess my question is, are we handling this correctly?

April 18th, 2013, 06:20 AM
ShelleyB80's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's exactly how Cody is behaving AND how I've been handling it....so I say you are doing all you can. I don't know if they are doing it to get a reaction out of us or what....especially when they laugh afterwards. It's like they know it's wrong. He's hitting other kids at daycare now.
April 18th, 2013, 06:24 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
UGH Its so frustrating because I know they dont understand things just yet. But it's almost like he KNOWS ! He hasn't done it at the sitters in fact she was shocked when I told her he does it to us. He eats better for her too lol. Turd! Anyway I guess we are doing the best we can!
ShelleyB80 likes this.

April 19th, 2013, 05:56 AM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
Pea has been doing the same thing. I think the key with it is just being consistent. Hubby's worst thing is that he'd rough house with her because she likes it, but then it's teaching her that that kind of thing with other people is okay. So we stopped laughing when she does something we don't like (even if it's funny!) or we ignore it. I know it works because she stopped being a turd to Caleb. She hasn't been rough with him for a few weeks!
mBABYe likes this.

April 19th, 2013, 06:13 AM
ShelleyB80's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratladee View Post
Pea has been doing the same thing. I think the key with it is just being consistent. Hubby's worst thing is that he'd rough house with her because she likes it, but then it's teaching her that that kind of thing with other people is okay. So we stopped laughing when she does something we don't like (even if it's funny!) or we ignore it. I know it works because she stopped being a turd to Caleb. She hasn't been rough with him for a few weeks!
This was one of the hardest things when we brought Cody home from the hospital. Emily was not even two years old and she was way too rough with him. I had to watch her every move. I know what you're going through!
April 19th, 2013, 05:59 PM
kazarmo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's pretty normal for the whole hitting thing. If I stop Lina from doing something I tell her no and she will look at me and then hit me. I see that she is doing it to get a reaction. We tried for awhile telling her no be gentle and then showing her how to be gentle. Sometimes I still do that but for the most part I now ignore because it may only happen once a day or so.
So far she is being gentle with the baby for the most part, she just wants to pick her up and give her kisses all the time.
ShelleyB80 likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~
dd15 born weighing 6 pds 2 ounces, 19 inches. 12-3-96
dsd12
dsd10
dd9 months born weighing 6 pds 5 ounces, 19 1/2 inches. 12-22-2011
Expecting baby #3 ANOTHER GIRL!!!!!!! woot woot

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search