Toe Walking

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lrowe70

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2013, 07:40 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
Big deal, or no?

Kaylee walks on her toes probably %25 of the time. My sister always tells her to stop it because if she keeps walking like that "she will need surgery". I can understand the worry if she ONLY ever walks that way, but I think she just does it for fun and since she can walk normally it isn't a concern.

Opinions? Anyone have experience with this, or also have a toe walker?
April 23rd, 2013, 08:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think the concern is if that's their dominant way of walking. little rose will tip toe too. K walked more on his tip toes for awhile, but then returned to "normal" walking. He was fine, no surgery or special shoes.
April 23rd, 2013, 09:17 AM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's one of those things that could go either way. I would get it checked the next time you're at the Dr just to be sure. I always walked on my toes and back then the dr was insistent that I would grow out of it instead of putting me in a brace. I'm 28 years old and I still walk on my toes. I have to wear high heels every day or my legs hurt so bad. Now the only way to fix it is surgery and being in a wheelchair for about a year and learning to walk all over again.

April 23rd, 2013, 09:24 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Not a big deal at this age.
April 23rd, 2013, 09:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Alex will do it playing around sometimes but she walks normally the rest of the time.

If you're worried about it at all, just ask at her next appointment. That's what I do. When in doubt, ask. It is the doctor's job to answer questions and stuff, that's what they're paid for, so I'm gonna get my money's worth lol.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

April 23rd, 2013, 09:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it'd be fine as long as she doesn't do it all the time. But, I agree, maybe bring it up at her next doctor appointment.
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6
April 23rd, 2013, 05:54 PM
Kim
I think at this age, walking on their tippy toes is just something fun they like to do. I wouldn't worry.

April 23rd, 2013, 06:02 PM
bajars2531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Caeden does this a lot!! It drive DH crazy...if he did all the time I would worry, but here and there it's not a huge deal

Make a pregnancy ticker

April 24th, 2013, 05:23 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's a big deal. Probably because I do it still. If I see either of mine doing it (which is almost never) I tell them to stop immediately lol.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
April 29th, 2013, 12:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I used to do that as did my mother(actually we both still do) and we both have issues due to it.
We've had to have physical therapy and she is often in a lot of pain. I've been told many many times over the years to knock it off or I'll need hip and knee replacement when I'm 50. The issue is that the achilles(sp?) gets shortened when walking tip toe which leads to hamstring issues which basically connects everything from the toes to the mid back.

It's a habit we've had since forever.
Not sure there is a lot you can do about it.
Does she only do it when barefoot? If she doesn't stop, maybe sign her up for Yoga when she's 8 or something.

Even though I just wrote a whole bunch, I wouldn't worry about it. Just be aware that she may need some extra stretching and/or massage to offset any potential issues.
tricia_16_ likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search