Finger Foods

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By mBABYe
  • 1 Post By mBABYe
  • 1 Post By swild19
  • 1 Post By IronMamma
  • 1 Post By sareymac
  • 1 Post By sareymac
  • 1 Post By Lorena26
  • 2 Post By Snookums

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2013, 01:28 PM
mBABYe's Avatar ♥ Life with BOYS ♥
I thought we could share some fun easy food ideas that don't require Mom to sit & shovel. HAHA

What kind of finger foods does your baby like?

J will eat anything with his fingers but some of it is just soooo messy (pastas, pizza, banana, watermelon, etc...) some of the cleaner things are simple crackers & cheese, green grapes, apple slices, blueberries (although sometimes gets messy towards the end if he starts playing with it when I'm not looking LOL), green beans, cucumber (no skin.. he just likes it raw & I usually cut it into stars with my little cutter thingy), granola bars, PB&J in slices, I sometimes make extra "nugget" sized chicken pieces for snacks when I bake our dinners. I just slice up a breast and cook just like normal with the rest of the food. This kid is a total meat eater! Omg. Steak, chicken, whatever... he will eat it. Sometimes we'll make waffles in the morning and slice it into "sticks." We do lots of "stick" type things actually. LOL

You know what he does NOT like & it surprised me... Mashed potatoes! What is wrong with him?!?! HAHAHHAA. That was like one of my major pregnancy cravings! LOL. I think it's the texture. Not sure. He LOVES sweet potatoes tho! ...not that either of those are easy finger foods. I just like to talk randomly sometimes

Wife since 2004. ♥ Mom since 2008.

♥ TTC #1: 4 yrs, 2 months ♥ TTC #2: 1 yr, 5 months ♥ #3: Surprise twins lost at 7 & 10 weeks.

April 27th, 2013, 05:41 PM
IronMamma's Avatar -Child Advocate
Sounds like he is a good eater! Drake does not like any meat, or like anything really! He just does not like food. But when he does want to eat he only really likes mac and cheese, pizza, grilled cheese and sometimes spaghetti. He used to eat peas all the time and mixed veggies, he will not even touch them now. He does not even like fruit! Sometimes I can get him to eat a yogurt, *sometimes*.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

When you know better, you do better. And when you do better, you know HINTA.

April 27th, 2013, 07:27 PM
What do you mean? He just doesn't eat? LOL

J doesn't let me eat anything without demanding at least 50% of it. Haha! so whatever I'm eating.. he's eating. Does Drake seeeee you eat? Or do you snack in the kitchen between feedings? We're all guilty of that I'm sure. I've found mine really eats much better at the table w us than when we used to use the highchair. I think seeing it go in my mouth is like GIMMIE THAT their heads. LOL

Maybe he'll like some of the suggestions in this thread Come on ladies! I have to grocery shop in the morning. haha. Gimmie ideas. He had kiwi for the first time a few weeks ago. LOVED that. Definately add that to the list. Although, still kinda messy.
ComfortablyMum likes this.

♥ TTC #1: 4 yrs, 2 months ♥ TTC #2: 1 yr, 5 months ♥ #3: Surprise twins lost at 7 & 10 weeks.

April 27th, 2013, 08:11 PM
He "does" eat. Kinda. He will not eat for like 3 days (we just went through this) but then will eat ONCE on the 4th day. I offer him 3 meals a day with plenty of snacks and he just cannot be bothered. Of course he sees me eating. We all sit at the table. When ever we eat we are all together. He used to eat all the time, now he hates it for some reason. I have him on toddler formula to make up for everything. He is still the same, playing, laughing, running around, nothing is different, he just does not like to eat.

April 27th, 2013, 08:25 PM
ComfortablyMum's Avatar <3 Mummy 2 Eve <3
I'll be watching this thread closely!! I can never think of anything new to try :S

Eve eats good though, IMO. She is a major fan of fruit (like her mama!) and will eat ALMOST anything we eat in front of her. We try get her to eat by eating with her too. Otherwise she does not want a bar of it. She is too busy LOL.

Soooo.. we give her:
Eggs
Mushrooms
L O V E S whole tomatoes from our vine! She will spot them while roaming around and beg for one LOL aw
Veges
Fruit
Pasta
Pizza
Sandwiches
Biscuits
Crackers
Cheese
Yogurt
Meat (most forms)
and those sort of on-the-go type kiddy snacks

Howeverrrrrrrrrrr, she has been going through a phase this whole past month where she will take a bite or two and that's it. I think we have used more formula this month than food!!

Eve Alexandra Mae | 18 Months

Last edited by ComfortablyMum; April 27th, 2013 at 08:27 PM.
April 27th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Same with us. We have used so much formula this month because he just does not want to eat.

April 28th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Wow. I didn't realize there were any kiddos left on only-formula. What does your doc say about that? Any suggestions for reintroducing foods? They can't just not eat.

Gabs.. you made me remember a few more! TOMATOES! He looooves tomatoes! & also peppers! Not hot peppers, but green, red, no yellow.. he didn't like that one. I do still cut the skin off of those suckers. Most times he's not too fond of it & will eat every little piece of pepper off of it and then pull it out of his mouth and hand the skin back to me. Haha! Thanks kid. ..but then other times he will open the fridge and take one out & bite it like an apple. LOL! I would bet when Eve is having her off days it may be due to teething..? Just guessing bc I notice J will not each as much during his meals for a few days and then *BAM* he's got a new tooth and eats everything in the house. HAHA!

Does anyone else here garden? I remember a few mamas did last year. I usually do a small garden every spring but this year I went with only hanging tomatoes. We have so much going on I didn't want everything to die while we were away. My neighbor suggested I do a grapevine. I think I will check that out. It's still early enough in the year. Jason would go crazy!

April 28th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Loves Kate!
We are still using formula too. I am glad we aren't the only ones. Our doctor said formula was okay till 2. Its not just formula, we do some in the morning and some before bed. She drinks whole milk too. I think its no different if I was still nursing some.

Katelyn only eats a little. She will eat yogurt, cheese, chicken, crackers, applesauce, carrots and thats about it! We can't get her to eat any vegetables so we do some baby food still just so she will eat.

Born 11/19/11
April 28th, 2013, 03:03 PM
KCMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's funny how doctors are all so different in their recommendations. My pedi said that Mason MUST be off bottle/formula by 15 months. Something about the bottle messing with their teeth or something. IDK, just what my doc said. I had no idea people were still on formula either.

As for finger foods, Mason goes in phases, but mainly he's an awesome eater. Which is awesome compared to DD, miss picky eater! I have found very very few foods that he won't eat. Surprisingly, he refuses macaroni and cheese.

Thank you Julka for my beautifully, perfect siggy!!

April 28th, 2013, 05:18 PM
My DR has no issues with Drake being on formula. I mean even on the container it says for up to 2 years. Its perfectly fine. And it's not that Drake is ONLY on formula because I put him on it, it's because he is going through a "I do not like food" stage. No worries.

Oh yeah, and Drake is not ONLY on formula. He drinks whole milk and juice. I use formula for when he does not eat.

April 28th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Julka
Quote:
Originally Posted by mBABYe View Post
What kind of finger foods does your baby like?
Most everything I offer he will eat. Especially sliced-up fruit & berries, he loves them all. I wouldn't say he necessarily eats a lot, but he'll eat *some* of everything until he's done. He loves salads, veggies, dinner meat, cheese, deli meats, any kind of potatoes. I spoon-feed him oatmeal, cereal w/ milk, yogurt, mashed potatoes, rice, and sometimes soup. He also loves pizza, (homemade) mac & cheese, and pasta with sauce, but we try not to have those too often, more like occasionally.

His recent favourites are dill pickles and pineapple

He hasn't had formula since 12 months, and bottles since 14 months. He's exclusively on a take-n-toss sippy cups (whole milk, water, sometimes juice).
April 28th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Oh that's great that he is not on bottles anymore!

I took Drake off formula at close to a year but then when he started this phase I wanted to make sure he gets proper nutrition.

April 29th, 2013, 06:29 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
Gary eats everything. He eats with his spoon now, so that definitely helps. BUT finger foods are always helpful! There's always that 10 minutes in the grocery store of hmmmmmm. . . what is something fun and new I can get you Garybear!?!?!

April 29th, 2013, 08:05 AM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Joe eats everything... I cant eat around him with out needing to share. So far the only things he wont eat is a cold flour tortillas... he LOVES Indian and Jamaican food...Joe's favorites are Tiki Masla and from the Jamaican place he LOVES Coco bread (no chocolate in it )

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3
April 29th, 2013, 08:08 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
^ same here If i dont want to share it i better eat it when G's not around lol

April 29th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Lorena26's Avatar ♥ Gio's Mommy ♥
Quote:
Originally Posted by sareymac View Post
^ same here If i dont want to share it i better eat it when G's not around lol
HAHAHAH same thing, and i call mine "G" too Last week he swiped an empanada from my hand and ran off with it! I offered him a bite and he took the whole darn thing!

Gio is also a really good eater, there isn't much he doesn't like but as some of you mentioned he too goes through his phases. His current favorites are grapefruit and blackberries. He also will bite on a whole apple (he won't eat it if i cut it up, little stinker hah). He also likes graham crackers and he loves asparagus and pears. He eats what we eat for breakfast/lunch/dinner and he gets mad if it's something whole (like a piece of toast or a sandwich..or an apple like i mentioned) and i cut it for him, nope he wants to take big bites off it like a big boy Oh and i make these carrot muffins, he'll run over swipe one and run off

April 29th, 2013, 07:12 PM
ComfortablyMum's Avatar <3 Mummy 2 Eve <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mBABYe View Post
Wow. I didn't realize there were any kiddos left on only-formula. What does your doc say about that? Any suggestions for reintroducing foods? They can't just not eat.

Gabs.. you made me remember a few more! TOMATOES! He looooves tomatoes! & also peppers! Not hot peppers, but green, red, no yellow.. he didn't like that one. I do still cut the skin off of those suckers. Most times he's not too fond of it & will eat every little piece of pepper off of it and then pull it out of his mouth and hand the skin back to me. Haha! Thanks kid. ..but then other times he will open the fridge and take one out & bite it like an apple. LOL! I would bet when Eve is having her off days it may be due to teething..? Just guessing bc I notice J will not each as much during his meals for a few days and then *BAM* he's got a new tooth and eats everything in the house. HAHA!

Does anyone else here garden? I remember a few mamas did last year. I usually do a small garden every spring but this year I went with only hanging tomatoes. We have so much going on I didn't want everything to die while we were away. My neighbor suggested I do a grapevine. I think I will check that out. It's still early enough in the year. Jason would go crazy!
To the bolded lol:

We had Eve's 15 mo check up and I requested more formula (hers is a special kind for milk allergies) and he asked if I had thought about taking her off it. I said I had, and that she is apparently fine with eating dairy, but I have never given her cows milk to drink. No reason really why lol but she likes her formula, it has goodness in it, annnnnd... it's free!

LOL @ the skin part! Eve does the same hahahahahaha!!

Yep I'm putting it down to teething + Eve's Plunket nurse said around this age, toddlers go through a not-eating (or eating less) stage. So I'm not *too* worried. She is in the 75th %ile for weight now (she was rolling along the 91st most of her life hehe)..

We sort of have a garden going. We have tomatoes, courgettes, red grapes and blackboy peaches.. we're hoping to go all out there next season!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swild19 View Post
We are still using formula too. I am glad we aren't the only ones. Our doctor said formula was okay till 2. Its not just formula, we do some in the morning and some before bed. She drinks whole milk too. I think its no different if I was still nursing some.

Katelyn only eats a little. She will eat yogurt, cheese, chicken, crackers, applesauce, carrots and thats about it! We can't get her to eat any vegetables so we do some baby food still just so she will eat.
To the bolded :
I agree wholly! I mean, people extend breast feeding, so I can't see how formula feeding can be any different

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMomma View Post
It's funny how doctors are all so different in their recommendations. My pedi said that Mason MUST be off bottle/formula by 15 months. Something about the bottle messing with their teeth or something. IDK, just what my doc said. I had no idea people were still on formula either.

As for finger foods, Mason goes in phases, but mainly he's an awesome eater. Which is awesome compared to DD, miss picky eater! I have found very very few foods that he won't eat. Surprisingly, he refuses macaroni and cheese.
To the bolded lol.. :
Yeah I think about bottles and how it can mess with Eve's teeth. She already has an overbite from gene's, so we're gonna have to get her braces

Eve Alexandra Mae | 18 Months

April 30th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Snookums's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nathan's is a great eater too, such a nice change from my very picky dd
He eats pretty much anything we give him. I really want to test it out on something we don't eat (like fish) but haven't yet.
Some things we do are hard-boiled eggs cut up, grilled cheese sticks, quesadillas cut up, cheese strings, berries, grapes, pears, clementines, cucumber, peppers, cherry or grape tomatoes.

His biggest thing lately is wanting to be a 'big boy'. I got him some toddler forks and spoons at Walmart and he's been enjoying mealtime so much more. I'll put a couple of pieces of chicken or whatever and he loves to spear it with his fork and eat it. Even pasta I put in a small bowl and he sits and spears the pieces and eats them. It's only been the last week but has made mealtime a bunch easier.
ComfortablyMum and mBABYe like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search