Clothing

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By Julka
  • 1 Post By sareymac
  • 1 Post By ShelleyB80
  • 1 Post By jmills1129
  • 1 Post By ratladee
  • 1 Post By swild19
  • 1 Post By D@mnedYankee
  • 1 Post By Lorena26
  • 2 Post By KCMomma
  • 4 Post By KCMomma
  • 1 Post By mBABYe

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2013, 08:02 PM
ComfortablyMum's Avatar <3 Mummy 2 Eve <3
Do you always buy new? Or are you a thrift shop/2nd hand store/Facebook group kinda person?
(For yourself, your SO/DH and your LOs)

We have a $2 clothing warehouse here, all 2nd hand stuff, but if you spend a good hour sifting through clothes, you can find near-new label stuff in there! And yup, I loveee my 2nd hand clothes
I cannot stand having to pay $100's for only a couple of new items.
There are some things I do buy new though lol like the obvious underware... and the odd new thing that has come down in price.
Oh and I LOVEEE to "shop" on the Facebook groups people have made for selling things

Eve Alexandra Mae | 18 Months

Last edited by ComfortablyMum; May 16th, 2013 at 12:16 AM.
May 16th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Julka
I have paid $100 for a couple items for my older girls. I'll splurge once or twice a year and get them boutique dresses, but I always get one size bigger so they last longer. But the T sizes last at least a year anyway so it's not like with babies where they last a couple months.

Normally I shop at Old Navy, Children's Place, Mexx, Sears, Target, H&M, and Carter's. Sometimes I order from Zuiliy.com, but not often.

That being said, Sebastian got a ton of hand-me-downs from his second cousin, so he wears those at least 70% of the time. I do buy him new clothes as well, so I guess a mix of both. I also stop at our local Once Upon A Child and if I see something new-looking that I like, I will buy it.

Oh, and we only buy new clothes for ourselves. The only time I bought myself second hand clothes was my pregnancy with Sebastian, I got some used (but like-new) maternity clothes.
ComfortablyMum likes this.

Last edited by Julka; May 16th, 2013 at 05:45 AM.
May 16th, 2013, 05:36 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
For Gary most things (unless my mother in law buys it lol) are second hand. . . he grows soooo fast it would make us broke to keep buying him brand new clothes LOL
That being said, obviously, i do buy him new stuff too once in a while, but he had gotten LOTS of clothes from a cousin, so yea mostly second hand.

i do NOT remember the last time my hubby or I bought new clothes, maybe when i was pregnant. We have gotten clothes from my mother in law as a gift here and there but thats it.

May 16th, 2013, 05:45 AM
ShelleyB80's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm totally a thrift shop girl! The only one I really buy new for is my oldest, because he's not growing as fast and has specific styles he likes. I do have a neighbor who periodically gives me clothes her older boys grow out of. My SIL's friend gives my DD clothes about twice a year from her daughter who's 6 - Emily is only 3 but wears a 5/6 now! Cody and Emily get new stuff from my dad for birthdays/holidays but other than that, it's all second hand.
May 16th, 2013, 08:15 AM
jmills1129's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I buy new, but only sale items!!! and Madison gets a lot of hand me downs from her cousin!

9w4d, June, 16 2013
Missing My Angel baby
May 16th, 2013, 12:34 PM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
I use the Fort Leavenworth buy sell trade page on facebook for baby clothes. I haven't bought clothes for myself in a long time. Usually when I go to TX or AZ I stop at ross and get some things. They are FINALLY making a ross by me! I'm so excited! I buy Madison new clothes occassionally, but it's mostly second hand.

May 16th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Loves Kate!
Almost all of Katelyn's clothes are either hand-me-downs or bought second hand. I have a couple friends with older daughters and I shop consignment stores and sales. I do buy her new stuff if she needs something and I can't find it.

I buy new for me but I shop sales.

Born 11/19/11
May 16th, 2013, 06:53 PM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We all dress out of thrift shops and consignment. We all have a few things that have been new but those are always either on sale or from a store like Ross/TJ Maxx

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3
May 16th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Lorena26's Avatar ♥ Gio's Mommy ♥
I buy new for all of us. Gio doesn't have any hand-me-downs....mainly cuz there was nobody to get hand-me-downs from i suppose I am also guilty of buying him brand names (i.e. Baby Gap) for some things if like a particular style/look. There will be other siblings so i don't worry too much about him growing out of it so fast.

May 17th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena26 View Post
I buy new for all of us. Gio doesn't have any hand-me-downs....mainly cuz there was nobody to get hand-me-downs from i suppose I am also guilty of buying him brand names (i.e. Baby Gap) for some things if like a particular style/look. There will be other siblings so i don't worry too much about him growing out of it so fast.
There's nothing wrong with that
In all honesty, I'd probably do the same if we could afford it and were having more than one child. Or even if we weren't... haha

May 17th, 2013, 07:06 AM
KCMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For Mason he is mainly in hand me downs. My best friend had triplets and I give her all my girl clothes and she gives me all her boy clothes so that works out. I buy DD some used clothes if I can find them, otherwise it's new for her. Typically shop at Target, Old Navy, Kohl's and Children's Place.

For me, I always buy new. I'm not opposed to used for me, just really don't have the time to dig through stuff. I don't have much time to shop for me so when I do I have to make the most of it and I usually just go to the shops I know I can find stuff that fits. I've bought a TON of clothes for me in the last year. I've been trying to re-do my wardrobe. Learning to dress more stylish is fun!!!
ComfortablyMum and mBABYe like this.

Thank you Julka for my beautifully, perfect siggy!!

May 17th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMomma View Post
For Mason he is mainly in hand me downs. My best friend had triplets and I give her all my girl clothes and she gives me all her boy clothes so that works out. I buy DD some used clothes if I can find them, otherwise it's new for her. Typically shop at Target, Old Navy, Kohl's and Children's Place.

For me, I always buy new. I'm not opposed to used for me, just really don't have the time to dig through stuff. I don't have much time to shop for me so when I do I have to make the most of it and I usually just go to the shops I know I can find stuff that fits. I've bought a TON of clothes for me in the last year. I've been trying to re-do my wardrobe. Learning to dress more stylish is fun!!!
I am soooooooo NOT stylish haha
I find it hard to be that way I just wear what's comfortable and looks good

May 18th, 2013, 11:56 AM
KCMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^^^I think it's funny when people say "I'm not stylish. I just wear what's comfortable and looks good." Such a misconception that to dress stylish you are uncomfortable. So not true. I won't buy clothes that are uncomfortable, but it's really easy to look put together and still be functional as a busy mom. Especially the trend with colored pants and shorts. Throw those on with a cute tank top, sandals or flats and a nice jacket to pull it together and you are set AND comfortable!!

Thank you Julka for my beautifully, perfect siggy!!

May 19th, 2013, 12:25 AM
Quote:
^^^I think it's funny when people say "I'm not stylish. I just wear what's comfortable and looks good." Such a misconception that to dress stylish you are uncomfortable. So not true. I won't buy clothes that are uncomfortable, but it's really easy to look put together and still be functional as a busy mom. Especially the trend with colored pants and shorts. Throw those on with a cute tank top, sandals or flats and a nice jacket to pull it together and you are set AND comfortable!!
oops! It wasn't my intention to make you think I thought stylish = uncomfortable. Didn't even think about that HAHA

I loveeee the new coloured pants!! I have been wanting a pink pair for aaages..

May 19th, 2013, 07:29 AM
mBABYe's Avatar ♥ Life with BOYS ♥
Quote:

I could practically have written that myself. LOL ..-minus the triplets.

I don't ever buy myself 2nd hand clothes. I just don't have time for searching. I have a huge wardrobe as is so if I need something I usually have something in mind and I know right where to get it. LOL.. or something similar. Now as for the boys... J doesn't need a thing. I saved everything from big brother. I've gotten a few new things here and there but it's as I'm shopping for something else or just browsing. I haven't had to be like "I NEED to go shopping." I do like to buy bathing suits often & Walmart sells them so cheap and they're riiiiiiight there by grocery... hahaa.. so yeahh.. I'm a bathing suit junkie. He gets lots of those!

Wife since 2004. ♥ Mom since 2008.

♥ TTC #1: 4 yrs, 2 months ♥ TTC #2: 1 yr, 5 months ♥ #3: Surprise twins lost at 7 & 10 weeks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search