E has to get glasses!

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2013, 12:56 PM
E Mama's Avatar Super Mommy
We saw the ophthalmologist yesterday and E has to get glasses! He is farsighted in his left eye (although his right eye is just fine, no prescription needed!). Due to his two genetic conditions he is at a higher risk for both glaucoma and optic gliomas... he is still looking good in those aspects, none found! We tried going to several different opticians today, including Wal-Mart, and couldn't find any frames that fit E's head. Most had no baby/toddler frames at all. Wal-Mart had some, but none that would work for E. So we'll have to go downtown to the optician outside the ophthalmology clinic at the main hospital (we typically see the doctor at a satellite location). It means more time off work, but we'll do anything for our little guy!

June 22nd, 2013, 05:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
i'm sorry that E needs glasses, but so glad you are on top of things.
June 22nd, 2013, 06:54 PM
Amanda21's Avatar Super Mommy
Just curious, how do they do an eye test on toddlers?

June 23rd, 2013, 05:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
my oldest got glasses at 1yr old. It isn't too bad. Gets expensive though, but they do well with them once they figure out that they can see. She has strabismus/amblyopia
June 23rd, 2013, 05:55 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope you can find a good pair that works for him and he adjusts to them

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
June 24th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
No fun he has to get glasses! Glad you figured it out now and hope things get better and that you can find some good frames for him
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6
June 25th, 2013, 07:58 PM
E Mama's Avatar Super Mommy
We figured E would need glasses, because DH and I both have them. lol. I got mine in my mid-20's, but probably should have gotten them in my early 20s. DH has been in glasses since elementary school... He even got bifocals that early! DH's whole family has glasses, while mine has fairly good eyesight.

E's ophthalmologist doesn't ask E to look at pictures, point to things, etc. And they don't use the contraption (no clue what it's called!) that you look through and tell the doctor which option is better. To measure his visual acuity they use what I can best describe as prisms? they're clear small "blocks" of different sizes. the doctor holds it in front of his eye(s), and tries a few different ones until he finds one he is satisfied with. This time I think he also used what I can best describe as handheld doohickey from the big contraption they use for adults (lol! Seriously though, it was the round lens you look through, but only in handheld form... I think he tried a few of those too). They are able to get a close enough prescription, but I am sure it is more accurate when the patient is able to give feedback. ...... They also do other tests where they try to get him to focus/look at close things and far things, shine light in his eyes, etc.. They've done pressure tests a couple different ways, but not with the puff test thank goodness!

Can I just say how happy I am to live so close to a top pediatric hospital? we've encountered so many great doctors, and they are so patient. We were there a long time, because E's eyes were dilated, and everyone was so patient with him. At the end when the doctor was just talking to us about the changes in his eyes, E was walking around an found the tissues. He took one and then tried to find a trash can. I tried to get him to give the to me, but he walked up to the doctor. Without missing a beat, the doctor said "oh, you want to throw it away?" and got the trash can under the desk while still discussing things with us!

June 26th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry he has to get glasses but glad the other things they were looking for are ok.
Sounds like you have some pretty great doctors.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search