Hitting head

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2013, 11:31 AM
ShelleyB80's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So Cody's been throwing nasty tantrums for awhile now, but is now purposely hitting his head on the floor during them. He will get upset over something, start screaming, and then just fall over backwards as though he's passing out. He usually lands on his butt first which sorta breaks the fall, but his head hits with quite a thud. He's done it on the carpet and on the hard floor. I'm really surprised he hasn't given himself a concussion. If he gets mad while in the high chair, he will fling himself backwards into the head support even harder than when his head hits the floor. I know this hurts him because he cries/screams when his head hits. He has a few bruises, too. I don't know what to do, really. I've tried telling him that he could hurt himself, but don't know if he understands at this age. I try to catch him when I sense a tantrum coming on, but often it happens so quick and he's across the room. I can't keep him in a bubble. I've had friends of mine and family members witness this first hand and were astonished. And now he's doing it at daycare. The staff was pretty shocked. It's their policy when a child hits their head to call the parents and write up an accident report. He does this several times a day - they'd be calling/writing up reports all the time. They actually want me to get documentation from his pediatrician stating they are "treating" him for this just so their butts are covered. Which I completely understand. The pediatrician is aware of this but so far I haven't been given any good advice. I'm just so worn out between this insane heat wave we're having and having to constantly make sure Cody isn't knocking himself out.

Anyway....thanks for letting me ramble. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm just hot, tired, and my nerves are shot.
July 9th, 2013, 03:09 PM
jmills1129's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Madison head butts the floor during her tantrums... So I don't really know how to help, I do notice that if I make a big deal out of it and say "don't do that you can hurt yourself" or even just acknowledge her while she is doing it she does it more. We are almost ll don't with the headbanging because I don't acknowledge her hitting her head. I will acknowledge her fit and let her kkow I am there when she is ready, but say nothing about her hitting her head. O think she is finally figuring out the hitting her head hurts, and isn't getting her the attention/reaction she expects? I don't know if that is too advanced for this age, bit she is definitely learning not to hot her head.

Sorry for my grammatical/spelling errors,I am on my phone :

9w4d, June, 16 2013
Missing My Angel baby
July 9th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Julka
I have heard of many kids around this age doing that (although mine never have) so I don't know why the daycare is "shocked", it doesn't seem like Cody is the first kid ever to do that!

What kind of reasons does he throw tantrums over?

Sebastian, the worst that he does (which really frustrates me) is throw his little matchbox cars all over the place in anger. I bought him a toy school bus over the weekend and it's already broken & taped over because he loves it, but he angrily threw it a few times. I am struggling because I don't want him breaking all his toys, but I your issue with Cody does seem more serious. *hugs*
July 10th, 2013, 05:29 AM
Thanks everyone. Going to the doctor on Friday afternoon. The way the daycare owner was talking to me the other day made it seem like this is a first for her - that he's the only one doing this because she wasn't entirely sure how to handle it with state regulations and all.

Both Cody and his sister throw fits over every little thing - not liking something I said, dropping a toy and having me not pick it up fast enough, etc. Just those little things seem to set off fits. Emily used to head butt the floor, and both her and Cody spit on the floor, on themselves, or on us when they get mad. I know screaming and freaking out will only make it worse, so I try to stay as collected as possible, but honestly I'm screaming inside!

This phase can't pass soon enough!
July 10th, 2013, 06:15 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
I am surprised the daycare worker is shocked too. I have heard this soooo many times. Gary does what Sebastian does he throws his toys if he gets frustrated, he also stomps and says NO. But I have definitely heard the head hitting thing from lots of different people. . .
I hope you can get some help and everything works out at the daycare!

July 10th, 2013, 04:23 PM
mBABYe's Avatar ♥ Life with BOYS ♥
I have no advice either.. besides walking away maybe. Don't let him see it effects you. My boys have never thrown fits so I'm not entirely sure how I would react. However I have a friend who's son would lean forward and bang his head on the floor when he was about this age. He didn't fall back though.. he would actually lean forward and hit his forehead hard..then cry. Like HELLOOOOO CHILD ... that's gonna hurt. LOL

GOOD LUCK!! Hopefully the doc can give you some good advice on Friday Don't let the daycare stress you out.

Wife since 2004. ♥ Mom since 2008.

♥ TTC #1: 4 yrs, 2 months ♥ TTC #2: 1 yr, 5 months ♥ #3: Surprise twins lost at 7 & 10 weeks.

July 11th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Emily would lean over and bang her forehead on the floor. Drove us nuts, but she did grow out of it. I'm really hoping the same goes for Cody.
July 15th, 2013, 02:51 AM
ComfortablyMum's Avatar <3 Mummy 2 Eve <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sareymac View Post
I am surprised the daycare worker is shocked too. I have heard this soooo many times. Gary does what Sebastian does he throws his toys if he gets frustrated, he also stomps and says NO. But I have definitely heard the head hitting thing from lots of different people. . .
I hope you can get some help and everything works out at the daycare!
Eve's like G3.. says NO and gets frustrated. Sometimes throws things, but not really.
She's never hit her head on anything on purpose though.
Sorry I'm no help!

I do remember when I was young, a friend of my Mum had a daughter who did that when angry etc
Hopefully he stops doing it soon!

Eve Alexandra Mae | 18 Months

Last edited by ComfortablyMum; July 15th, 2013 at 02:53 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search