Learning / Knowledge

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rachel

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What are some things your toddler knows?

What are they learning?

I always thought Kynslee was right on tract for her age and have even had others tell me how smart she is. But, I have a friend whose little girl is 2 days older than Kynslee and is fully potty trained, knows her abc's and can even recognize the letters plus lots more. And I meet with other moms and their kid/s know their colors and such. Should Kynslee know all this at this age?
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6

July 16th, 2013, 07:57 PM
bajars2531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't worry at all. All kids learn/start things at a different rate. Some kids catch on to things like that earlier. Caeden is barely showing interest in potty training and he says his ABC's like this- A, B Q, R 5, knife, 7, 9!!! not even joking. It's hard not to compare but all that does is stress you out. Not worth it--she is just perfect!

Make a pregnancy ticker

July 16th, 2013, 08:47 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmm. He knows his colors, some numbers, some ABC's. He can repeat them all after me but does all sorts of crazy orders if he does it on his own. He knows characters that he likes off TV, names of all the animals (we have a lot) the names of all his sisters toys (she names all her horses and stuff), he knows most words for everything and will talk in short sentences. He knows most of our friends names and their kids names. Physically he is ahead I think. He can totally drive his sister's ride on tractor and steer it around the paths. He is fully potty trained. I still put a diaper on him at night but could probably stop anytime.

I wouldn't really worry about where she is though, they all learn different things at such different rates. As long as she is meeting the minimum requirements

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
July 17th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Kynslee knows about 150+ words and talks in short sentences. She knows most of our friends names and can say them. She knows her manners including excuse me. Knows the names and sounds of her toys and also so many of the animal sounds/actions from butterfly and deer to basic dog/cat.

But, she's not really interested in potty training, doesn't care about learning her abc's (though I try and practice with her) and knows only 123 of her numbers and occasionally will say 6 but can't count to 6.

July 18th, 2013, 01:00 AM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She sounds perfectly on track I wouldn't even worry about it. I don't practice anything with Dominic. They pick things up when they are interested in it and at this age I don't think it's a big deal either way. I would have never even tried to potty train him but he insisted lol

I am totally one that just kind of lets kids be though. It worked out great with my daughter and I think they just learn a lot of things on their own.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
July 18th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nara has a pretty large vocabulary. She knows names for everyone around her and can name and pick out colors. She has animals and animal sounds down. She knows some numbers and some ABC's but she's just reciting them at this point and doesn't really know what they mean. We've started potty training in the last week and she never showed any interest before that.

I wouldn't worry too much. They pick up things as they go. A don't think they are really on any sort of strict time table anymore.

July 19th, 2013, 07:24 PM
E Mama's Avatar Super Mommy
E may know his ABCs, but tells me "noooo" each time I try to sing it. (I am pretty tone deaf!) He can name all the main Disney and Sesame Street characters, along with some animals and the noises they make, but doesn't really name colors independently. He'll say "twooooo" and sometimes "feeee" if I start counting, but doesn't really count otherwise. He says some two word phrases (no Daddy, Bye Daddy), and can show possession (momma car, daddy chair).

I think Kynslee is right on track! Complete an Ages & Stages Questionnaire if you are concerned! Great Start / Ages and Stages Developmental Questionnaires (ASQs)

By the way - how do you know she has a 150 word vocabulary? I can't even imagine counting all the words E knows!

July 20th, 2013, 11:20 AM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't worry. All kids learn at different ages and rates. And it all depends on what they are doing.

I do think that my older son was more advanced as far as academic stuff at this age than my little one is because he was in daycare and they had preschool time from 1 year old on. This little guy doesn't sit still long enough to get through a whole book with me. If we are counting anything he will repeat it or say whats next, but he quickly gets more into trying to knock down whatever we are counting with. I think if he was around other kids his age that were doing this everyday he may be a little calmer.

My nephew was constantly watching Sesame Street and knew all his colors and letters and shapes by his 2nd birthday. And while it was great he knew that stuff it probably wasn't great he spent so much time in front of the tv. He seriously watched hours of it a day.

I do think that my youngest is more coordinated than my older son was at this age. My youngest constantly wants to be outside jumping on the trampoline with me, playing on his playsets, driving his little cars, and playing in his sandbox. When we go to the park he goes down all the big slides and runs around like one of the big kids.

He talks a lot, but mostly 1 or 2 words at a time.

At this age I don't focus too much on pushing anything. I figure things will come as they are supposed to.

July 24th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTickets View Post

By the way - how do you know she has a 150 word vocabulary? I can't even imagine counting all the words E knows!
I haven't actually sat down and counted. I am just sure it's at least 150 words. She likes to talk non-stop And, it seems like every day she is saying a word I didn't know she knew how to say.

I'm not really worried about Kynslee's development as I believe she's right on track; It just seems like I hear a lot of people saying their child around this age knows some numbers, colors and a few even their abc's. So, I just wanted to hear what the mamas here say their LO's are doing

July 24th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Beau is such a weirdo. He is obsessed with letters and numbers. These are actually some of the very first words he learned. When you sit down and read a book with him, he will totally ignore the pictures and the story and just point at the page numbers in the corner and ask you to name the numbers for him! He knows all of the letters, upper case and lower case, and all of the numbers through the mid-twenties. He recites them and also recognizes most of them. He is constantly randomly counting things. Sometimes he will just sit there and point to, like, dust mites in the air or something, and count them to himself.

BUT, other than that, he is still not really talking much. He is in speech therapy and has been for months now. He has just started to use 'sentences,' but they're not really so much sentences as they are two-word phrases. (e.g. "Boy run.") His pronunciation is really garbled and unintelligible to anyone outside of our family. His gross motor skills are also pretty poor -- he doesn't jump, he's awkward in his running, and he falls down a lot. His fine motor skills, on the other hand, seem to be fine.

My older son was pretty much the opposite. He did know some letters and numbers by his second birthday, but he was pretty uninterested in them and actually has forgotten some now. His speech, on the other hand, was fantastic. He was talking in complete, clear, understandable full sentences since long before he was two. And his gross motor skills were also awesome (he walked at 9 months, and was always excellent at running, climbing, etc.) But his fine motor skills were, and still are, really poor. He refused to even feed himself until he was 3 1/2. He still won't put on his own clothes, or brush his own teeth. And he absolutely refuses to color. He's really, really resistant to it, and it's something we're worried about.

My point: all babies are completely different and proceed at their own pace. They tend to get really focused on something for some length of time and ignore everything else until they've mastered the thing that they're focused on. Then they move on to something else. So just go with the flow and let Kynslee focus on mastering her own interests. All kids eventually master all of the basic skills, they just each do it in a different order!

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
July 26th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I think a child knowing their colors and ABC's at 2 is an advanced child. I'd be happy if Keelan could say his name when asked.
Just_Marie likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search