Transitioning toddler to bed.. kind of long.. (xposted)

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2013, 08:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We can't get a whole other crib for the new baby with finances being how they are. The good news about this crib is it's a convertible crib that becomes a toddler bed then a headboard and bed frame for a full sized bed, so it's not something that wont be used ever again. That's why I picked it out. I only buy stuff we can get years of use out of.

She is 20 months old right now. Will she be too young to start the transition? I was googling it some and some signs are if she is ready for a bed, she would be trying to climb out of the crib or already succeeded in doing that, also that she sleeps well through the night consistently. She has not climbed out of her crib nor has she attempted to, at least to my knowledge. She does sleep well at night in her crib though.

This is where I start getting confused. Maybe I'm just over analyzing things. She is extremely sensitive to changes in her nap time and bed time routines. She wont sleep much at all when we stay the night with my parents for instance. I can only manage to get her to sleep a few hours in the pack n play and she refuses to sleep the rest of the night in bed with me. She also will not sleep in bed with us here at home, either. She only sleeps in her crib.

Everything I'm reading says to start weeks before the new baby is born, if that is the reason for the transition. That's why I'm asking this stuff now, instead of last minute. I also see having nap times in the bed and night time sleeps in the crib to start with and go from there are suggested.

If I was going by instinct alone, I just don't think she is ready for that. She may be 20 months, but she still seems so young to me. I really would like to buy a less expensive, but still good crib for the new baby just to avoid this whole mess for now. She will be ready some time in the not so distant future, but I just don't think she'll be ready before the new baby is born though. She is very set in her ways and used to her routines. I understand she could fight it and struggle even if I put this off until she is showing more signs of being ready. Should I wait for her to show more signs or start the transition within the next month or two? I have a feeling it will take a while to get her used to the change.

BTDT moms, what did you do for your toddler? What would you do in my shoes?

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

August 23rd, 2013, 05:53 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got pregnant when Eleanor was 13 months old, and we transitioned her to her toddler bed (converted from the crib) soon after that. To be honest, I am short and I was sick of the crib anyway. She had no issue whatsoever. I was really surprised with how well she did. Then we wanted to use the crib for the new baby, so we switched Eleanor to a toddler bed with no rails or anything when she was maybe 19 or 20 months, and again had no issues at all.

I do think it depends on the toddler, but it is possible for it to work. I agree that I would try to get her settled 2-3 months before baby arrives, so I would decide to either go for the transition soon or just buy a cheap crib.
August 23rd, 2013, 07:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
^I'm leaning toward the cheap crib option myself, but it depends on finances at the time. I just don't think she's ready for the transition yet. I could try it though. If she does fine, then great. If not, back in the crib she goes and we will have to get the cheap crib.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

August 24th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Aidan~N~Haileys Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You still have time to transition her, you are only almost 17 weeks pregnant! You could wait until she's 2 and try it than, 4 months makes a huge difference I believe! When I got pregnant with Hailey, Aidan was already 2 years and 4 months old, and it was around that time we started transitioning him, a little before we found out we were pregnant again! We just put him in there and he did amazing! He was sooo easy to transition, Hailey on the other hand, I'm dreading, I think she'll be the one to keep getting out of bed, especially during nap time! I think if you feel she's not ready yet, I would wait til she's 2 and try it than! Hailey is like your daughter, doesn't do well with change, especially during naptime. I say wait til she's 2 and try it than if you really think she's not ready, because that'll still give you a little over 2 months to either get her transitioned or buy a cheap crib! Will the new baby start sleeping in the crib right away, or will he/she be sleeping in a basinet or something in your room for the first few months? Because if he/she will be sleeping in your room for a few months you still have a ton of time to transition her!

August 26th, 2013, 08:57 PM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
My oldest I transitioned around a year and a half or so and she fell out of bed a lot so I bought one with a better rail but overall, she did pretty well. With my second, we started at a little over a year and she got out of bed a lot. With my November baby, we tried last month or so because she kept trying to climb out of the crib but she freaked out about the toddler bed so we're going to try again after this weekend when we move into our new house. It definitely depends on the baby!

August 27th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We do still have some time to begin the transition. The new baby is going to spend the first 3 months or so of his life sleeping in a pack n play by our bed like DD did. I will give it a try and see how she takes to it once we got a toddler bed around pay day.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search