Super paranoid/overly protective momma here

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cortln

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi all, I'm not new to JM but semi new to this board. I don't get on this board much but thought I'd post about my freak out I am having right now about my 2 year old daughter.

So over the weekend we were at the river, my daughter was having a blast, jumping off the dock etc into the water. Took some water in and choked a bit once but nothing serious. She was fine 2 seconds after it happened, had a good cough and was back at it splashing around. Anyways, Saturday night in the middle of the night she wakes up with a coupy sounding cough, of course I start to panic thinking about the water she took in. She woke up Sunday morning and was acting fine, still coughing, still croupy sounding but eating/drinking fine. Still had the croupy cough at bedtime, cried at bedtime which made the cough a ton worse (fever was 99.7 and gave her some tylenol) but finally fell asleep and I only heard her cough one time throughout the night. No coughing this morning.

Today, my wheels are turning and turning, I for some reason keep thinking about this brain eating amoeba that I keep hearing about on the news the past few weeks. NOW I'm worried she sucked some water up her nose and is going to get this amoeba! Symptoms don't even show up for about a week!!!!

Anyways, I have a call into the Dr. waiting for him to call me back.

Am I the only mother who FREAKS out about everything?
ZaydensMomma likes this.
September 9th, 2013, 12:07 PM
ZaydensMomma's Avatar Aaron Nicole
Oh man..... I totally get your feeling! I have been freaked out about the brain eating amoeba because I live in the swamp in Louisiana. There have been 3 reported cases in Arkansas (which who miraculously survived), Florida (died) and Louisiana (died).

They are saying to look for:

Quote:
The first symptoms of primary amoebic meningoencephalitis appear one to seven days after infection, including headache, fever, nausea, vomiting and a stiff neck, according to the CDC.
"Later symptoms include confusion, lack of attention to people and surroundings, loss of balance, seizures and hallucinations," the agency website says. "After the start of symptoms, the disease progresses rapidly and usually causes death within one to 12 days."
Source from 4-year-old dies after brain-eating amoeba infection - CNN.com

At first I thought you were going to mention dry drowning when I read your comment. Cuz that is my first and foremont worry about my son. I watch him like hawk. I'm a helicopter parent now. LOL The next thing I worry is this bacteria eating amoeba.
Since you live in Illinois, it is rare to have this there but definitely take caution.
Hope your LO is feeling better!
September 9th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh I thought about the Dry Drowning also!!!! The first time I heard her cough Saturday night I was in there to be sure she was still breathing, even when I knew she was ok I pulled her out of bed and put her on the couch with me while we finished our movies lol

We were on the IL river, I did see that it's not common here in IL/MO (I'm right on the border between IL & MO) but it's still FREAKING me out.

I think it's just a common cold, she still has the croupy cough, no fever, raspy voice and is extremely tired. Hopefully it just goes away in a few days so I can quit freaking out.
September 16th, 2013, 07:07 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She may have croup, which is a virus that isn't usually treated and tends to clear up on its own. It can sound really scary though. When my first child had it we rushed her to the ER late at night. They told us when they have that croupy cough bring then into cool air or get a cool air humidifier.

That brain eating amoeba sounds scary!!!!!

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search