Seeking advice.

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HorseGal

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 23rd, 2013, 02:59 PM
sydneyrose's Avatar Veteran
I don't feel comfortable enough to ask my new DDC so here I am... seeking some advice.
We're going to try for a VBAC this March and hopefully (since I'm young) I won't have any uterus rupturing occur.

If I have another c-section, they told me that is unlikely that I will be able to have children afterward because of the surgeries damaging my uterus tissues and docs wont want to operate on me since I'll be at higher risk.

I am afraid to have it vaginally. It's totally new experience and I'm just afraid because I'm small anyway, I really don't want to tear.

Also, I read a few stories that talked about VBACs that they had them but they needed repair surgery afterward and that scares me since I do not like anesthesia.

Anyone have any words of wisdom?
Any calming advice?
Anything I should look into?

Or anyone that was in this position before.
Let me know.

THANK YOU

p.s.-- yes, i'm afraid to have this baby after my traumatizing experience last time.

September 24th, 2013, 12:03 AM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sydney- I'm a hopeful VBAC this time as well. I can tell you from what I have learned that there is only a 1% chance of you rupturing. Especially if you have a low transverse cut "bikini cut", which is usually whats done now and what I had done.

Here is what the class I took at my hospital told me.

If your c-sec was due to "less likely repeatable" reason, like you and I, where it wasn't due to having small hips or failing to progress etc. Then your chances for a successful VBAC are high. My hospital has an 80% success rate. They told me they treat patients like any other mom except VBACs are required to have continious monitoring, must have an IV line put in and should come in earlier and labor longer in the hospital. All just to be on the safe side. From what it sounds like, they reason for the extra measures is because if you do rupture, it's likely to be a large one. But it is still very very rare.

PS. Unless you didn't heal right or there was damage done to you during your c-sec, even if you end up with another c-section I've never heard of a person being limited to 2 c-sections. Youy might remember Anna Grey on here had her 4th with her 2011 baby and she was high risk because hers did not heal correctly and was very weak around the incision.

Anyways if you have more questions let me know. Also JM has a VBAC board. It's not very active but there is alot of good reading on there if you check out the links at the top.
sydneyrose likes this.
September 24th, 2013, 07:52 AM
sydneyrose's Avatar Veteran
I've heard of people having four as well....

I think it's a policy with the hospitals in the city.
I'm not really sure why... But that's exactly what they told me when I came in.

I was shocked to hear. I feel much better.
Especial to know if it resulted to that, I could still have babies.

September 25th, 2013, 10:12 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think Kendall said everything I could. I hope that this birth goes how you'd like it. I know last time was hard. *hugs*

Keep us updated please!!!

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

September 25th, 2013, 01:54 PM
ReaganorDean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never had a c section so I can't comment on the recovery, but I can tell you that each woman is extremely different when it comes to vaginal births. I had planned on an epidural to begin with, and had an induced labor. I held off on the epidural as long as I could, but about three hours in I literally saw stars and felt like I was going to pass out. The epidural alleviated my pain, and I was able to peaceably labor the rest of the time. In fact, the nurse had to tell me when to push as I was unable to feel anything below my ribs. Although, not ideal for some, this was the perfect experience for me. My blood pressure was up when I was admitted, and had I not had the epidural, I could have ended up as a c section if my bp got too high. I ended up with a second degree tear, but no episiotomy. My OB did massage instead. The tear took awhile to heal, but everything did go back to normal....and is not damaged down there if you get my drift. I just wanted to give you a happy story to hopefully help alleviate some of your fears about a vaginal birth.
September 30th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Pbear31's Avatar Super Mommy
Hey Sydney, I got my VBAC after a preemie c-section!

To be honest -- I went into it with no expectation either way and I think that helped me mentally. I wanted a healthy baby and was willing for it to happen either way. However, I wanted a VBAC if possible. It helped me relax a bit to come to the point where I was okay with either outcome. I felt like Zeb's birth was very traumatic for me (sever pre-e at 32 weeks) and I wasn't going to go in with expectations that made me feel like this birth was anything less than perfect.

My body started showing signs of being ready at 35 weeks -- I started dilating and effacing slowly. I was excited to know that my body was on the right path on its own. My water broke at 39.2 (I was 3 cm dilated and 50% effaced at my 39 week appt). My labor lasted 6 hours. My docs were sure to let me know that this was not always the typical VBAC experience.

I did get the epidural when I was dilated to a 6. They actually said they would feel more comfortable if I had it because then I was already set up if I needed an emergency c-section. Also, my bp had started to creep up and the epi would lower it. I knew I wanted one anyway, so it was like they gave me permission to not feel like a wimp. My epi experience was perfect. I could feel contractions coming and had the urge to push.

My advice would be to "let go and let live" a bit. Stressing about the outcome won't help (easier said than done) and I felt the best when I came to terms with either outcome. I think for me, I focused so much on getting to full term that it was easy to just let things happen how they were going to happen.

I did tear a little, but I would say the recovery in general was easier. I think a vaginal recovery is way easier when you already have kids. With Zeb, he was in the NICU so I could really recover and not be lifting, etc. I wouldn't want to think about a cs recovery with a toddler -- so I think that is what made a vaginal birth easier this time.

When are you due? How are things going?
October 7th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
VBAC Facts

I had a VBAC in 2011. I had a 3rd degree tear but no reconstruction surgery was necessary. I healed up fine and things are totally normal down there now. Don't let the idea of tearing scare you away from vaginal birth. Educate yourself on the risks of multiple c-sections (like placenta accreta) to you and baby, plus the risks of VBAC. Only you can determine if it's worth the risk for you and your family.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
March 8th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
my mom had 5 csections. i hate scare tactics

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search