Anyone doing speech therapy?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By momie2b9-20-11

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Both Izzy's neurologist and pediatrician referred her to get speech--she had her evaluation with the SLP and we are just waiting to see if insurance will approve it and pay for it
January 25th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Beau has been in speech therapy for a while now. He started when he was 18 months. His pediatrician referred him because he had delays in both speech and gross motor skills. There is a center near our home that provides specialty services of all types for children under the age of 3 who have delays in one or more developmental areas. For about a year, Beau received therapy sessions from them at our home twice a week (once for occupational therapy and once for speech therapy). Then, starting this September, he enrolled in the preschool that is operated by this same center, and now he gets his therapy as part of the preschool day. Last month he actually had his yearly reevaluation, and now it seems that he is at age-level for speech, so his speech therapy sessions are being discontinued. He is still getting occupational therapy, but he is making good progress there as well, and the teachers anticipate that by the time he turns 3 he will be classified as 'typically developing' and will no longer qualify for services.

Both of my sons have been in speech therapy, actually, and they've both really enjoyed it! I think that it helped them both tremendously. (My older son started speech therapy at 15 months because he wasn't saying any words at that point, but he was then speaking in full sentences by 18 months!) In my experience, the speech therapists do a really excellent job of making sessions fun and engaging for the kids. To the kids, it's just like play time. Good luck to you! I hope that this helps Izzy!

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
January 26th, 2014, 05:30 PM
That's great news yours is caught up in speech

Izzy will be my third kid needing speech. My oldest is 8 and does his speech therapy through school. My 4yo is in his second year of speech centered preschool (with formal speech therapy twice a week)--he was recently diagnosed with a communication disorder and is still pretty delayed so speech services will likely continue for a long time. Iz is actually the best speaker of the three (when they were this age) but she's still struggling a bit.
February 11th, 2014, 05:54 AM
Iz got approved for her speech therapy We start next week. Of course, driving there will take longer than her actual appointments LOL
February 11th, 2014, 09:00 AM
ZaydensMomma's Avatar Aaron Nicole

Last edited by ZaydensMomma; February 11th, 2014 at 09:04 AM. Reason: wrong Playroom LOL oops!
February 12th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Good luck and hope Iz gets the help she needs. Let us know how it goes
Hazel likes this.
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6

February 28th, 2014, 09:23 AM
hahahaha! So far she mostly hides under the table but she is sorta cooperating with her "homework" so there's that at least
March 18th, 2014, 06:14 AM
FyreMommy2B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our Kaitie is having a speech evaluation next week through the local school district that has a special PreK program for children with developmental delays. She was evaluated for speech through Early Intervention but the lady said she wasn't linguistically developed enough to warrant speech therapy (rolls eyes). Her Developmental Therapist and Occupational Therapist through EI are great though! She has been diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder (sensory seeking) and recently ASD (Autism). She talks a lot (mostly baby talk with some words) but most of the words she uses are identifiers (not consistently) and not directly communicating a need or socially. If it makes any sense she communicates through eye contact and body language. But now she brings us cards for what she wants which is a step in the right direction. I'm overwhelmed by so much to take in.

I now wish we had started speech therapy much earlier.

Our 2 year journey through Infertility & conceiving via IUI
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1a8678

March 19th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Izzy didn't qualify for speech through EI, either--she wasn't delayed enough for their criteria. They've kept her case open, though, since she's getting speech through the hospital so she still gets to go to her play group She's been in EI almost her whole life--she was in congestive heart failure as an infant and her development was way behind.

It's great Kaitie can use cards to communicate my oldest used to act out what he wanted as a toddler because he couldn't form the words. He's also sensory-seeking SPD but we didnt find out until he was in first grade
March 22nd, 2014, 06:42 PM
FyreMommy2B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad you both are getting the services your little one needs.

Our 2 year journey through Infertility & conceiving via IUI
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1a8678

March 23rd, 2014, 01:32 PM
Sometimes it is a huge fight to get the help they need :\ All three of mine have varying degrees of special needs and it seems as though once one starts getting a much needed service, the fight begins to help one of the others!! Its coming along, though--my four year old landed an appointment with a neuropsych so *fingers crossed* we will finally get some answers on what is going on so we can get the proper services he needs! Our local county mental health ruled out autism but said he needed to come back for full evaluations because *something* is going on but no one knows what exactly. And when we went back, they denied us for the evaluations they told us to come get because he has insurance :\ It took FOREVER to find someone who could work with a four year old! Everyone kept referring us back to county mental health *sigh* And to keep this somewhat on track with the thread topic, he is also in speech therapy He did get a diagnosis of a communication disorder but it doesn't really explain a lot of the other things going on with him.
March 24th, 2014, 06:19 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
None of my kids have had speech therapy so far, but all of them had a lot of sounds they couldn't say for years. Finn is six and still struggling with some sounds. Every now and then I have to remind his teacher he can't say certain sounds because she will mark something he read as incorrect, even though he knows what the word is he just can't say it correctly.

My kids were all very early talkers though, but just had trouble for quite a long time with pronouncing certain sounds. My 6 year old may need speech therapy if he doesn't grow out of it soon. The oldest 2 grew out of it without needing speech therapy, but they were homeschooled at the time and he is in public school.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

March 24th, 2014, 07:24 AM
Some sounds come later than others--I've gotten multiple copies of the developmentally appropriate sounds list from all the speech therapists my three have seen/worked with over the years LOL Unfortunately, my three tend to not master the sounds within the "normal" time frame. My 8 year old is starting to work on the r now because he's past the age where he should have developed the ability to make it. For the last year he's been working on th, v, and f because he should have had it down by then but he has a form of apraxia so its hard for him. he's still struggling a little but he now has the ability to hear when he makes a th/v/f mistake and can correct himself, which is fantastic
March 24th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We may be getting DD seen soon now that we know her ears have since cleared up. She had fluid in them over the summer. That was gone at her audiology appointment two weeks ago. She has several partial words and a few complete words. She is 2.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

March 25th, 2014, 06:07 AM
They were hoping my middle son's speech delay was due to the fluid in his ears but they wouldn't stay clear of fluids so he had tubes placed when he was three. He finally passed a hearing test but the improvements in his speech were pretty small. Hopefully your DDs speech takes off soon! One of the best parts of being evaluated by a SLP, at least in my experience, is the knowledge I gained on the techniques to encourage speech development at home. I mean, some of the stuff is just natural but some things I'm not sure I would have come up with on my own

Izzy has pretty much stopped talking when we are around other people, including her speech therapist. If we are lucky, we get pointing and grunts. On rare occasions, she may say a few words. At home with just us? She talks up a storm (most of it unintelligible). Get into the parking lot? Talks. In the car? Talks. Go in to an appointment or playgroup? Silence. Her SLP brought up Selective Mutism, which is triggered by anxiety. It would make sense since she is already in therapy for anxiety (anxiety due to medical trauma. baby version of PTSD). Her SLP and therapist are going to try to coordinate a speech session together so the therapist can see what's going on and they can work together on a plan to help her over the anxiety so she can hopefully speak again when we are around other people!

Last edited by Hazel; March 25th, 2014 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Does anyone else have JM eat their paragraph breaks every single time they hit post?
March 30th, 2014, 05:39 PM
Twirlbird's Avatar Mia and Henry's Mama
Send a message via MSN to Twirlbird
My 2 year old sees a speech therapist, still waiting on an audiologist appointment to see if her chronic ear infections caused some hearing loss.

Her speech has come so far since we started. Almost everyday she has me in wonder
John Henry Clifton aka Henry: April 11th 2013

New Signature coming soon

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search