:C Worried

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SkyBaby
  • 1 Post By rancherandcitygal

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2014, 10:04 AM
MadMay's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi ladies Im new to this board I have a 2 year old step son that my dh and I have full time he was taken from his mother by cps because she was abusing him almost a year ago.

He has made good improvement since we first got him but I still worry he isnt talking much. I took him to the dr and she says "He isnt top of his class but he isnt so far behind that its a concern" He knows how to count to 13 when he feels like it and he knows black, Orange, Green, red, and pink if you ask him to go pick something up that is one of those colors he will get it right every time but if I ask him what color something is he wont answer. I have flash cards and he will tell me whats on the card but he dosnt really say sentences. When he does talk the words arent very clear either. He will be three in October and every two year old I know speaks very well and my niece who is exactly a year younger then Dylan is talking better and expressing herself.

I try asking him questions to try and get him to talk but he just gives me one worded answers. He understands everything I say I know hes smart I just dont know what to do to help him talk more.

July 14th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If the doctor won't give you a referral for a speech evaluation, you can also contact Early Intervention and request they evaluate him.
July 20th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My 2.5 year old daughter is kind of in the same boat. Doesn't have a lot of words but understands a lot and everything else is ok. Her pediatrician wasn't too worried. There were and are little quirks, but nothing super out of the ordinary like autism or something. We are in the early intervention program. Be prepared for a long game of phone tag and it taking several weeks from first getting in touch to evaluation and starting lessons. She had kind of a rough entry into this world and we wonder if that might have caused something.

I was told by my grandma my mom didn't say a word until she was 3. My mom is an amazingly gifted pianist and singer and was playing since she was little. Kids develop so differently and most tend to catch up in the end, but with past abuse of your little one, I wonder if there was some kind of damage caused. I would do the early intervention program with him just to be safe.
MadMay likes this.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

July 31st, 2014, 09:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My daughter loves to talk and try and learn new things but she still doesn't know her colors (well .... she knows the names but not what actual colors they belong to - like blue can be blue, purple, pink, green or any other color she feels like saying). But, she talks up a storm. So, your step son is ahead of her in colors but behind a little in speech. Every child is different. It could be his past is causing him to not want to express himself in words.

We have a friend from church that's almost 4 (13 months older than daughter) and doesn't say much at all - but he's really smart also. So many always comment on how much DD out-talks him. If you're worried you could get it checked out but could be he's a little scared from his past as I know of others kids that go through not much talking after something like that. Do you know if he was talking much before?
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6
August 5th, 2014, 10:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
My little gal doesn't talk much at all either but I think that is because older sister does all the talking for her!!! I agree with the above posters. Each child is very different and with him having some hurt in his past it may take him a little longer to feel comfortable expressing himself! You loving on him is going to make a big difference!!
SkyBaby likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search