Log In Sign Up

Unassisted Pregnancy self-care


Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree21Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
June 8th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 206
How much self-care are you doing?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
June 8th, 2012, 10:36 AM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: England, UK
Posts: 33,797
Not sure i understand this question? maybe things are different over here?
__________________

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (31)
together for 10.5 years married for 4.5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

Reply With Quote
  #3  
June 8th, 2012, 10:50 AM
*CrabLegs*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 1,359
Do you mean as in not getting professional prenatal care? That sounds very dangerous to me if so.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #4  
June 8th, 2012, 01:43 PM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southern Iowa
Posts: 23,408
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
It's not the 'norm' as of late, but it used to be done all of the time. Pregnancy is an event, not a illness. It is only fairly recently that we started treating pregnancy as an illness, or a condition that needed corrected.

If seeing a doctor regularly makes you more comfortable, then you have to do what's right for you. IF you are comfortable with checking your weight, your fundal height, and such at home, it can be safe so long as there are no complications.

Check out the documentary "The Business Of Being Born" if you are interested in learning more about the changes in treating pregnancy over the years.
__________________

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!


Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
June 8th, 2012, 01:44 PM
CptStargel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,594
The only self care I am doing is taking my prenatals every night before bed. They are the same ones my OB approved with my last pregnancy. I am also cutting down the amount of caffeine I am taking in. Other than that, my OB is fully involved in my pregnancy.
__________________

Thank you *Kiliki* for my amazing siggy!!!


Reply With Quote
  #6  
June 8th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Wister, OK
Posts: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptStargel View Post
The only self care I am doing is taking my prenatals every night before bed. They are the same ones my OB approved with my last pregnancy. I am also cutting down the amount of caffeine I am taking in. Other than that, my OB is fully involved in my pregnancy.
I don't feel comfortable doing anything else. I rely on on my OB for basically everything.
__________________




7/24/12
10/09/12
Reply With Quote
  #7  
June 8th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delta, BC
Posts: 2,391
I don't consider prenatal care "correcting" the condition of being pregnant.

My self care would be taking my prenatals and keeping track of my body. Drinking plenty of water, eating right. Resting, and keeping active.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #8  
June 8th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMomma View Post
It's not the 'norm' as of late, but it used to be done all of the time. Pregnancy is an event, not a illness. It is only fairly recently that we started treating pregnancy as an illness, or a condition that needed corrected.

If seeing a doctor regularly makes you more comfortable, then you have to do what's right for you. IF you are comfortable with checking your weight, your fundal height, and such at home, it can be safe so long as there are no complications.

Check out the documentary "The Business Of Being Born" if you are interested in learning more about the changes in treating pregnancy over the years.
Thanks for backing me up! PM me.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
June 8th, 2012, 02:46 PM
ProjectMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,298
I will be taking care of my body with prenatals, plenty of fluids and such but I will be again doing routine dr appointments
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
June 8th, 2012, 02:53 PM
azaelia's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 339
Man, I wish I trusted myself enough to do something like that. The most self-care I will be doing is taking prenatals, drinking lots of water, and trying to eat healthy (it's a bit of a challenge right now with all my food aversions). That's not to say I put complete faith in my caregiver, either. I like to be in control of my pregnancy as much as possible, so I tend to be the more "difficult" patient...refusing tests and ultrasounds and screenings etc etc.
__________________
Amy, Barefoot Mother Runner, Wife to Nick, Crunchy Mama to Dominic






Reply With Quote
  #11  
June 8th, 2012, 06:07 PM
*CrabLegs*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 1,359
To each his own, but I wouldn't feel comfortable not seeking prenatal care. There is a reason why the death rate used to be much higher during child birth.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #12  
June 8th, 2012, 06:25 PM
azaelia's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by *CrabLegs* View Post
To each his own, but I wouldn't feel comfortable not seeking prenatal care. There is a reason why the death rate used to be much higher during child birth.
Actually a REALLY big reason for the high maternal and fetal death rates in the early 20th century was the fact that doctors didn't know anything about germ theory and weren't washing their hands between patients. Childbed fever was a direct result of bad hygiene.
MountainMomma likes this.
__________________
Amy, Barefoot Mother Runner, Wife to Nick, Crunchy Mama to Dominic






Reply With Quote
  #13  
June 8th, 2012, 06:31 PM
*CrabLegs*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaelia View Post
Actually a REALLY big reason for the high maternal and fetal death rates in the early 20th century was the fact that doctors didn't know anything about germ theory and weren't washing their hands between patients. Childbed fever was a direct result of bad hygiene.
I don't doubt this to be part of the issue in the past but knowing a bit about bad baby cases I will still go for prenatal care with my OB and deliver in the hospital. Nothing is perfect but I want immediate care available if necessary.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #14  
June 9th, 2012, 06:16 AM
stephanieaehenley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: pa
Posts: 1,623
Send a message via Skype™ to stephanieaehenley
i will be taking prenatals and drinking lots of water and only drinking one or two cups of coffee lol and i am trying to go for a vbac with this baby in a birthing center
__________________
mom to an amazing boy and girl! love them so much!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
June 9th, 2012, 06:58 AM
JoyandNumberFive's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 647
I wouldn't be comfortable not seeing a doctor during my pregnancy. I totally understand why someone wouldn't want to though. Health care is such an intensely personal decision that I would never judge someone for their health care decisions.
__________________
Joy, Wife to Glen and mother to:

Reply With Quote
  #16  
June 9th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaelia View Post
Man, I wish I trusted myself enough to do something like that. The most self-care I will be doing is taking prenatals, drinking lots of water, and trying to eat healthy (it's a bit of a challenge right now with all my food aversions). That's not to say I put complete faith in my caregiver, either. I like to be in control of my pregnancy as much as possible, so I tend to be the more "difficult" patient...refusing tests and ultrasounds and screenings etc etc.
I agree with Azaelia. I will be seeking prenatal health care, but I will not put my full trust in a doctor or other health professional. I also do my own research, and listen to my own intuition.

I see both sides of seeking health care, and not seeking health care. Whatever makes you happy and comfortable I say! Everyone has a different opinion on everything in the world that you can have an opinion on. And that's okay. We are all different people, with different backgrounds, different religions, different beliefs, and different lifestyles I am glad to share my pregnancy journey with a diverse group of women! How boring if we were all exactly the same!
*CrabLegs*, Glowlilac and azaelia like this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
June 9th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delta, BC
Posts: 2,391
I too see both sides.
Because I already have some pre-exsisting conditions (lupus and Dermatomysitis ) I need prenatal care, plus monitoring for my own health.

I don't blindly follow my docs though lol much to their dismay sometimes. Managing my own health thru diet has had more positive results then modern western medicine ever has, so I know that doctors aren't alway the end all and be all.

You gotta do what ever works for YOU and YOUR BABY and your circumstances.... And be willing to flex on what you'll do if something changes.

OP, will you seek care from (a midwife, GP, etc) if the need arises?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #18  
June 9th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Glowlilac's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 493
I just wanted to add, even though I'm seeing a midwife and personally couldn't imagine NOT getting prenatal care, I do understand those who consciously choose not to.

I always think it's funny on the tv show "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" that everyone is so amazed at the end that the baby is ok. Assuming the mom didn't drink excessively and do drugs, etc., in the majority of cases the baby will be just fine. It's not the prenatal care, per se, that makes a healthy baby, the prenatal care is more about monitoring in case there is a problem -- and that is where it excels. If there isn't, then the baby is the baby, regardless of whether you got ultrasounds, had your urine checked, and so on.

And one other tidbit ... it's a misconception that the U.S. has low newborn mortality rates. Newborn mortality rates in the U.S. are higher than in 40 other countries. Just something to think about.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #19  
June 9th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhartanya View Post
I too see both sides.
Because I already have some pre-exsisting conditions (lupus and Dermatomysitis ) I need prenatal care, plus monitoring for my own health.

I don't blindly follow my docs though lol much to their dismay sometimes. Managing my own health thru diet has had more positive results then modern western medicine ever has, so I know that doctors aren't alway the end all and be all.

You gotta do what ever works for YOU and YOUR BABY and your circumstances.... And be willing to flex on what you'll do if something changes.

OP, will you seek care from (a midwife, GP, etc) if the need arises?
In the unlikely event I have issues, I'd find a midwife. I'm young and quite healthy, so I don't forsee it.

Last edited by dannimom; June 23rd, 2012 at 02:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
June 9th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Rebelmommy's Avatar Mommy to controlled chaos
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,687
I am planning on doing A LOT of self care.. mainly because I am an old hand at this, and unless I run into issues (which did happen with my last 2) I will see my OB only 1 time a month from months 4-9 and not before 12 weeks at all. That being said. I do plan to deliver in the hospital because my last baby was a very big boy, and I am a small woman and if I had not been in the hospital to deliver him there would have been big issues
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:55 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0