How soon for the next?

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By JulieMc

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2012, 07:05 AM
MandaPandaJo's Avatar Regular
Assuming this is a sticky bean that brings us a sweet baby at the end I started thinking about the next (and possibly last) little one. We've always talked about having 3 kids so I am pretty sure we want another but I will be 36 at the end of this pregnancy. I know it is recommended to wait a year between pregnancies but with my age and the fact that being pregnant puts my autoimmune arthritic disease in remission at least during pregnancy I am seriously considering trying again right after the 6 week off-limits time after birth. Anyone here done that? Did it cause any significant problems for you? Did you find it difficult to be pregnant while having a newborn around?

June 10th, 2012, 07:16 AM
gratzie's Avatar Expecting #2!!!
I always thought I wanted my kids super close, but after I had Jacob I had NO desire to do it again so soon and even got the 10 year IUD to ensure it wouldn't happen until I was ready. I thought it would be YEARS before I felt ready for another, but nope! Shortly after his first birthday the urge hit and I began charting again. finally, I Got the IUD out and...HERE I AM!

It will be different for everybody, but I think once you go through the entire process once you'll have an idea of how soon you want to do it again. That said, I've known quite a few women who've wanted to go righty for the next one ASAP! Good luck!

June 10th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would talk to women on the closely spaced siblings board it will help you to get an idea if they faced any complications or what there dr. told them.

Given your age time is a factor but personally I would wait at least a few months so that you have a chance to enjoy your new little one for a bit and feel fully recovered before trying again.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my wonderful Siggy!
June 10th, 2012, 08:00 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
We would like a large family and kids closely spaced. Our first two are 16 months apart. I got pregnant when my 1st was 6 months old. My 2nd pregnancy actually went way better than my 1st. The only thing different is you don't get as much relaxation time, but that's true anytime you have at least one kid already. We started trying for #3 right away too, but had a few miscarriages, so this baby and my youngest will be about 26 months apart, which is more than I wanted, but its alright. If you take good care of yourself, take your vitamins, eat well, etc. it's not going to likely hurt anything not to wait the year.

My sister had 4 kids all spaced 10 months apart, and had all by c-section, and with c/s they tell you to wait even longer between. She had gestational diabetes each time, but that wasn't because of the spacing, and she had no other issues.

The 1 year is a recommendation for "optimal" outcome. I am of the belief that if you are capable of getting pregnant - meaning ovulating and having a regular cycle - then your body should be able to handle it.

June 10th, 2012, 08:08 AM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my first 2 girls are 16 months apart...they are almost 13 and almost 12, so it's been awhile....I remember it was really hard having a newborn and a 16 month old...I was 20 years old when my 2nd was born and i'm not sure how I did it, being so young lol...My baby and this baby will be 16 months apart (if all goes well) and i'm kind of scared...I'm not far enough in the pregnancy so i'm not sure how it will be having a baby and being pregnant, but it's something i'm not really looking forward to...He's busy and a lot of work, and I know i'll be sick and tired pretty soon...I guess it all depends on what you think you can handle....I would talk to your dr about it.

June 10th, 2012, 08:31 AM
gypsystar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is absolutely our last! I said Sophie was our last but here we are ! Definitely no more after this one though LOL!

My oldest 2 boys are 15.5 months apart. Being pregnant with ds2 wasn't that bad, I could still rest and sleep when ds1 napped. After ds2 was born there were moments I felt very torn between them trying to take care of them both when they needed me but having to make 1 of them wait. That was hard but we all survived it. It actually got more difficult as they got a little older and were both in the toddler stage. Let's just say there were 3 &4 before it felt things were getting easier.

Having said that, while it was hard there were a lot of good things about it too. We still had all our baby gear, with them both being boys we had all the clothes still too. As they did get a bit older they played great together. Our oldest son has special needs and it was wonderful for him to see ds2 do things and he would try and model his behavior. It definitely felt like we were on the same page not trying to do cater to two different age groups interests.

I'm headed back that way again! Sophie just turned 1 so it will be interesting to see how it goes this time with older children around too!!

Forever Missing Katriel Star (17 weeks) and Sebastian Judah (14 weeks)

June 10th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My first 2 are 14 months apart. If you feel up to it, I would go for it but clear it with your doc first.

7/24/12
10/09/12
June 10th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Super Mommy
I usually don't have the desire, just because lack of sleep and whatnot, to try again. But usually when my babies hit a year old that itch starts kickin up to have another.

June 10th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Glowlilac's Avatar Veteran
I'd like to have 3 or 4 kids, so we will probably start trying relatively soon after. I say "relatively" because I'm planning on nursing again, and last time that meant no return of AF for over a year. So, I'm guessing we'll try when the new baby is around 1 year or a little older.

June 10th, 2012, 10:59 AM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
My first two are 12 months apart and my second and third are under 2 years apart also. When i was pregnant with my third i swore i was DONE even if i ended with another girl i was for sure done, when i gave birth i said "Thank god i don't have to do that again..." got home and didn;t feel "complete"... i was obviously over the moon that i had my healthy little boy with me but i didn't feel done, i knew then that i wanted to have another but not any time soon i always said once my son was 5 then we would have another but then as time went on i knew i wanted it sooner, when he approached 18 months we started talking seriously about when we would try again and we agreed on a month, that month came and we weren't ready and we would say another month and so on... then we said a month and once it came we knew that we were ready ) we started trying the month after he turned 2!

I know i am done this time i know i said it last time but this time feels different..being pregnant i am over the moon but i just know that this is the last time i would like too do it )

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (31)
together for 10.5 years married for 4.5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

June 10th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Sara Kaye + Baby Bean
I've always actually just wanted one, and thought DP did also.. but the other day he slipped up and said something along the lines of "we'll need room for our next one" as we were browsing houses online. So apparently he's already got baby fever... I'll personally have to re-evaluate once i've forgotten how miserable I currently am

"The expected is just the beginning. The unexpected is what changes our lives."
June 10th, 2012, 12:02 PM
martilynne's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really wanted to have our kids spaced closer together but it was more important to nurse DS for at least a year and I did not ovulate/have AF the entire time I was nursing. I'm sure we will have another infertile year after this baby since I plan on nursing for a year again.

June 10th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Super Mommy
I'm done after this one. But after my first, we started ttc when DS was about 10 months old. I got pregnant with twins about 2 months later.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search