Does an ultrasound tech have to tell you if your having twins?

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Leffew
  • 1 Post By jojow

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Does an ultrasound tech have to tell you if your having twins? Or do they just leave it until you have the follow up with your doctor? I'm still hearing 2 placentas, one on each side (left and right) nowhere near each other. I know it's not blood whooshing through my artery because it sounds like wind blowing through the trees (or like a winter storm). she wouldn't answer any of my questions at my first ultrasound, ignored my moms question about twins, and wouldn't look on the other side. She thought I was nuts.

July 30th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Super Mommy
When did/do you have your first appointment with your doctor? I would bring it up at your appointment and he or she can listen and talk to you about what you are hearing and either confirm that it could be twins or explain what it is that you're hearing. I have my mom listen to my belly every Sunday and I know there are a TON of 'heartbeat' noises and she can discern what's what because she's experienced.

Honestly, I think you should try to not think about it too much (I know that's harder to do than to say!). If it turns out there's just one then it will be harder for you to deal with emotionally if you've spent a ton of time thinking about it. Also, I know it's usually pretty clear when you stick the wand on your belly at 10-12 weeks if there's one or two without a lot of looking around, so unless it's one of those wacky 'hidden twin' things, I have a feeling the tech couldn't have hidden it if she tried. They spend a lot of hours training and doing ultrasounds and it's not going to look good if they miss twins.

All that being said, I have another suggestion. I know around here the crisis pregnancy centers like doing ultrasounds even in situations when it's not at all a crisis. They like getting the extra practice in and I usually go in with each pregnancy just because it's fun. If you can find out if there's one where you live I would just go in. I know the tech looked very carefully for twins when I went in at about 7-8 weeks and I didn't even have to say anything to her.

I hope you can find out soon!
July 30th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thx my appt with the nurse practitioner is this Wednesday. She's not the usual one I see. I will ask her to clarify what I'm hearing

July 30th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Super Mommy
Oh good! That's not long to wait! I would definitely bet that she'll be able to help you figure out how many are in there.
July 30th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When I found out I was having twins I was told right away by the tech doing the ultrasound. When I was having triplets the tech told me right away as well.

This pregnancy I was sure it was mulitples again and asked the tech they looked, although not great, and told me right there they only saw one.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my wonderful Siggy!
July 30th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Leffew's Avatar is baking!
In my experience, techs don't have to say anything. Usually they do so out of courtesy.
Happy Song likes this.

<--- again!
July 30th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffew View Post
In my experience, techs don't have to say anything. Usually they do so out of courtesy.

Which really sucks when you are having issues. Sometimes they will let you know subtly.

July 31st, 2012, 12:32 AM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
The u/s has always told me straight away how many is in there. That said when I use my Doppler I hear the whooshing sound of thee placenta everywhere, right, left, centre, I always got the impression that the placenta could be heard from all angles ? X

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (31)
together for 10.5 years married for 4.5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

July 31st, 2012, 03:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah* View Post
The u/s has always told me straight away how many is in there. That said when I use my Doppler I hear the whooshing sound of thee placenta everywhere, right, left, centre, I always got the impression that the placenta could be heard from all angles ? X
Hmm, ya, for me I only hear it in to specific spots, and when I'm right over it it's really loud. Maybe I'm hearing something else I dunno lol. Heard baby's heartbeat in the middle for the first time yesterday. Usually it's off to the side.

July 31st, 2012, 04:50 AM
jojow
The doppler can pick up echoes in the uterus of your h/b, the baby's, the placenta..
AmyLM likes this.

Last edited by jojow; July 31st, 2012 at 04:55 AM.
July 31st, 2012, 05:15 AM
Nyzira's Avatar Just call me Bam.
Send a message via AIM to Nyzira
U/S techs technically aren't legally allowed to tell you anything at all. A lot of the time, one will give you a little bit of information just to be nice but they're actually supposed to leave the results for your doctor to explain to you. Sounds like you just got a tech that sticks to the book on the job.

July 31st, 2012, 06:49 AM
*BabyMaMa*'s Avatar Kimber MaMa to Leah
But if you were pregnant with twins, I'm sure they would want to see you sooner for more detailed us imaging. Honestly I hear lots of sounds with my Doppler. The baby moves a lot now too. Is there another reason you think you're having twins?

Feb 2012
January 9th, 2014, 11:55 AM
bandriessen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm bringing this thread back because something is driving me nuts.

Tuesday night I was in the ER for spotting. They took me to do the u/s and the lady was just looking around taking pictures not talking for the first minute and out of nowhere she says "Did you use fertility treatments at all?" I said no. And she was like oh okay, just wondering. Then she didn't say anything else. When she transferred the photos to the computer I sat up and looked (her back was to me) and i saw some of them where she was zoomed out and I could clearly see two black sacs one a little smaller than the other and one was on the left side and one on the right side, not touching each other and there was a white X on each one. No one said anything about twins so...i don't know what to think? They did know i had an appointment scheduled for this Friday so are they just waiting for my OB to determine it? My appointment is tomorrow so I'll find out in less than 24 hrs but still!! Opinions??

TEAM BLUE!!!

Due September 5, 2014

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search