My Worry: To Breastfeed or not! Confused!

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2012, 07:23 PM
kw2005's Avatar Veteran
Here is my worry, concern, confusion. Thanks in advanced for any and all advice!

I would love to breastfeed, but I am unsure about breastfeeding/pumping once I go back to work. I know my work would LET me pump. However, I am super busy at work and if I had to stop every 2-3 hours to pump I would never get my work done and then I would have to work overtime.. which I know I wont want to do. I will want to get home to my baby!

The first question is.. is it worth it just to breastfeed the first 8 weeks? I will be home for those first 8 weeks and I know I could breastfeed during that time. But is it worth it if may only do it for 8 weeks.

The second question is.. if I don't pump while I am at work well I for sure dry up or is there a chance I could still breast feed in the evenings? I would be able to feed or pump right before work, then at my lunch, then when I first get home.

Thanks again

September 17th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
First off any breast milk is better then none!!! so yes 8 weeks would give your baby a great start!

If you nursed or pumped before work, again at lunch and then nursed during the times you are home you should be able to keep your milk up enough to do some nursing. Just stay as well hydrated as you can and nurse or pump when you can.
Mrs.Ajalele and Ember Rose like this.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my wonderful Siggy!
September 17th, 2012, 07:38 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, bf for as long as possible is beneficial.

For both my kids I pumped for a year at work and then after a year stopped pumpimg (they got milk at daycare) but still bf at home and my supply adjusted to thatcno problem I would think that even at two months your supply would still be able to adjust for that.

September 17th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I say do it as long as you can. It is so good for the baby and formula is expensive. Once your supply is established, you shoudl be able to continue to feed in the evenings. I usually pump for the first year and then feed in the morning and evenings for another 2-3 months. Both of my boys weaned around 14-15 months.
Mom2twolittlemen and birdblue like this.
September 17th, 2012, 07:45 PM
JoyandNumberFive's Avatar Super Mommy
With my 2nd child I had to work full time. I hadn't succeeded breastfeeding with my first cihld and I knew it was something I wanted to do. I started breastfeeding but had to return to work when he was 2 weeks old because of financial concerns. I tried to pump at work and would get almost nothing. Eventually I stopped pumping at work and I was still able to breastfeed for 10 months on my days off and in the evenings. We did use formula at times but I'm so glad I was able to get him at least some breast milk.

Short answer: Yes! Go for it! Any breast milk is better than none and it can work out longer term even if you only do it when you're home from work.
Mrs.Ajalele likes this.

September 17th, 2012, 07:47 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1. Yes, it is very beneficial to a baby to have colostrum and trasitional milk (which is what you'll have in those 8 weeks). Those milks have a lot more antibodies and immune boosting properties.

2. I would certainly try pumping at work for awhile. If you do not pump regularily you will have a drop in supply. Breastmilk works by supply and demand. You have to have regular removal of breastmilk in order for your body to continue to make it.
September 17th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Super Mommy
I breastfed my boys for about 8 weeks. I was told it was better than not breastfeeding. I am not breastfeeding this time around for medical reasons. If I could though, I would try to make it to 8 weeks or so again.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8
September 18th, 2012, 10:20 AM
birdblue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am very passionate about breast feeding, it has such amazing medical benefits, even just a couple weeks is better than nothing!
Mom2twolittlemen likes this.

Thank you so much Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!

September 18th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Mom2twolittlemen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2twolittlemen Send a message via MSN to Mom2twolittlemen
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdblue View Post
I am very passionate about breast feeding, it has such amazing medical benefits, even just a couple weeks is better than nothing!

and feel the same. You certainly don't need to pump every 2-3 hours. Depending on your hours, if you work an hour shift, or twelve hour shift, you may only need to pump twice.

September 18th, 2012, 10:46 AM
foosdiva's Avatar Expecting #2
I agree that any breastmilk is better than none. That being said, do not let anyone make you feel bad if you choose formula. There is nothing wrong with it.

I exclusively pumped & I worked (I've since stayed home) in the construction industry. A male driven career where they aren't very understanding. It was really hard b/c I had to be on jobsites all the time & would have to leave to go pump at the most inconvenient times. What I'm saying is, it's possible. I also pumped to and from work (I had a 90 mile drive each way). The Madela Freestyle was a lifesaver.

Do you have your own office? It helped me a ton b/c I could just close my door when I was in the office.

Also, if you decide to do the 8 weeks only, you should pump some so the baby can get used to a bottle. Just a suggestion.
September 18th, 2012, 12:00 PM
calijk's Avatar First Time Mommy!
im scared to death to breastfeed, but i know its the best for the baby (otherwise we wouldn't make breast milk)..Anyway, im gonna give it my all and hope i can hang on for the babys sake..maybe make some kind of goals like said earlier to get myself thru it..i think im just mostly scared of the pain!
September 18th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Cali - Pumping wasn't painful. I'm going to really try to bf this time. With my daughter, she was born tongue tied and we had a lot of latching problems. We didn't find this out until two weeks after she was born, so I had already gotten use to pumping. I like being able to switch off nights with my husband, even though I still had to get up every two hours on his nights.

I'm afraid I've already talked myself into pumping b/c of the help every other night. I would really like to bf though b/c I get tired of washing all the pump parts and bottles.
September 18th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Ravado's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was another pumper due to a host of reasons I will skip, lol. I plan on trying to bf this time. I would like to add that if you do end up pumping (even if you know you won't be able to pump much once you go back to work) I highly reccomend starting early. I had a stash going that allowed me to to bottle feed expressed breast milk for a month after I stopped pumping because I just started storing it from the get go.

I also get the akward pumping at work thing. I had to kick a male manager out of his office every time I wanted to pump and I know you could hear the pump outside the office door (where I work with 95% men). Not fun.
foosdiva likes this.

September 18th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Ravado - same here. It was an even worse sound before I got my freestyle. I made a sign to put on my door that said "pumping in progress", so any vendors coming in knew not to walk in. lol I also had a stash that lasted two months after I stopped pumping. I was lucky to be a milk machine. I EP for 6 months. My goal is a year this time.
Ravado likes this.
September 18th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Ravado's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also lasted 6 months. I think if I had a better pump station it would have been better. Luckily this time around I can use the bathroom (which has a shower/locker area as well so not as bad as it sounds). It was just bad timing that the bathroom was under renovation last time around. The guy I had to kick out was very nice about it but still not ideal (and man oh man was I paranoid about locking that door!)

September 18th, 2012, 02:58 PM
8 weeks is better than nothing. Realistically if you nurse before you leave and are able to pump once or twice at work and then nurse regularly when you are home it shouldn't be an issue. It is a commitment to breastfeed. I made it exclusively six months with my daughter until she started having weight issues because of my milk composition (not enough fat) and I had to start supplementing. Any time breast feeding is worth it in my book! Plus it makes night time feedings a breeze (no mixing or heading bottles) I just laid down on my side latched the baby and we both fell back asleep.
September 18th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by calijk View Post
im scared to death to breastfeed, but i know its the best for the baby (otherwise we wouldn't make breast milk)..Anyway, im gonna give it my all and hope i can hang on for the babys sake..maybe make some kind of goals like said earlier to get myself thru it..i think im just mostly scared of the pain!
It will hurt, but really only when your baby latches on at first and even that only for about the first week. After that it's really no big deal and so much easier than the alternatives, just pull the baby to you and 10-20 minutes later they're done, no mess and major calorie loss on your part!
September 19th, 2012, 07:01 PM
kw2005's Avatar Veteran
I want to say a big thanks to everyone who wrote!! I feel a lot better now after reading all of them. I am for sure going to breast feed for the first 8 weeks now.. and pump during that time also.

When i go back to work.. I am just going to try my best, but try not to put too much pressure on my self. I work an a office.. but its a construction office so there are a lot of guys and I dont have my own office. They would surely allow me to pump, but I am a very private person and I just dont know how I feel about it. I just dont like the idea.. plus I am super busy during my days at work.

I will still try to pump at lunch though.

Another quesiton.. what happens to your breast.. if u need to pump.. but u wait?

September 19th, 2012, 07:09 PM
JoyandNumberFive's Avatar Super Mommy
You will probably leak and your breasts can get very hard and it will be uncomfortable if they get overly full. If they get too hard and full the baby may have trouble latching so your best bet if that happens may be to pump a little bit so they baby can get a better latch. Definitely wear nursing pads in your bra when you go back to work or you'll end up with a wet blouse.

September 20th, 2012, 06:26 AM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Pumping at work is hard and most definitely a sacrifice so you have to make that decision all in your own. It's possible though! I'm a teacher so I have my planning and lunch. I was pumping before work, at my planning (40 minutes), during lunch (30 minutes), and after school. I never had ANY time to actually accomplish anything in my classroom and often worked late and on weekends.

Even with that much pumping, I still struggled keeping up my supply because I was on a "time crunch" for pumping and probably wasn't able to empty my breasts the way I should.

Anyways, what I'm saying is that it's possible but sacrifices will have to be made. I was really passionate about BFing for a year. There was a lot of frustration and wanting to throw my pump out the window but I made it!

I am dreading the whole process for this baby - that is the whole pumping at work thing. But I am sure I can make it work again!

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search