Confirmed today that I'll likely be induced at 39 weeks

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My sister in law goes to the same perinatal practice that I do, and when recently discussing the upcoming birth of her second baby she mentioned that she is scheduled for another induction at 39 weeks - and said that's the routine recommendation by the physicians at this perinatal practice. I had a routine OB appt today, and asked the PA I saw whether I'd also be induced at 39 weeks... and she confirmed (somewhat reluctantly) that yes, that would be the peri's recommendation, and so that's what we'll be doing. I asked why that would be the recommendation, and her explanation was that when it comes to high risk pregnancies there is greater risk in keeping the baby in longer and potentially inviting additional problems, than there is in delivering a touch early (but when baby is already fully cooked) in a controlled situation. Basically, they see it as the safest, most conservative option.

I have to admit, I'm feeling conflicted about this. Given our history together I trust my OB completely, and so if he tells me that this is the best, safest way forward for my baby, then I'm on board. In the end all that truly matters to me is having a healthy baby, and I'll do whatever it takes to make that happen. But I'm kind of sad to know that I won't have the more typical experience of waiting with anticipation to go into labor, going to the hospital with my husband when "it's time", etc. And it's a bit hard for me to wrap my mind around an early (albeit only slightly) induction that isn't strictly essential. Based on some results in my first tri screening the peri had already told me that if we run into growth problems due to placental insufficiency late in the pregnancy that they might have to induce as early as 37 weeks... but that seemed to be a very specific circumstance where an early induction would clearly be the safest option. I know that being induced at 39 weeks will still be done for the health of the baby and not for the sake of convenience, but because it's less clear that it is far and away the best option, it's harder to grasp the necessity of being induced.

September 18th, 2012, 10:55 AM
calijk's Avatar First Time Mommy!
Thats a tough one, but if you trust the doc just keep the faith that all will be ok..I had written a post earlier on about my doc vs a hospital that i dont like..i chose my doc because i trust him and to me that is ultimately whats important..when you get closer to the date you will know more about whats going to happen, and sounds like they know what theyre talking about, try not to worry!
September 18th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Ravado's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree. While I would probably be uncomfrotable with the blanket induction if you really do trust your doctor then talk to them about it and I am sure they can tell you medically why they think it is needed. In the end, you are right that a healthy baby and mom are the goal. Having a 6 wee early baby delivered via emergency csection I learned quickly to let go of my plans and focus on the end result of a healthy, happy baby.

September 18th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Super Mommy
my dr also told me he wont let my pregnancy go past 39 weeks...i am fine with that, my daughter went to 43.5 weeks and until she was born the drs didnt believe my dates or my early u/s dates..according to them i was 39weeks when i went into labor...it wasnt until she came out they said oh wait a min.
Im comfortable with 39weeks, im just hoping my body decides that on its own..i hate being induced..but will for a healthy baby!

September 18th, 2012, 04:53 PM
foosdiva's Avatar Expecting #2
Is this your first baby? I'll have my c-section scheduled at 39 weeks, unless I starting having issues with preE. If there were problems and the baby needed to come out early in order for baby to be healthy, I would trust my Dr.
September 18th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Veteran
With my first, I would've been very concerned, you always see so much talk about waiting till baby is ready, and one intervention causing the supposed cascade of interventions, and I just believed it after seeing it so often... But from what I understand at this point, although the risks of small problems go up slightly by inducing before the due date but still term (i.e. baby needing to stay in the NICU for a few days), the perinatal mortality risks go down. Which is big to me. So especially if it were a perinatologist I was seeing for extra issues, I wouldn't be too concerned at the re. Though I would probably ask if they were going to take my Bishop score into account (and I would refresh my memory on what a Bishop score entails first).

Actually tomorrow I am meeting with my old MFM for the first time this pregnancy and I will specifically be asking her whether an induction at 38 weeks would be an appropriate recommendation for my case.
September 19th, 2012, 05:34 AM
Mom2twolittlemen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2twolittlemen Send a message via MSN to Mom2twolittlemen
I can see why your conflicting. I feel very strongly about no induction UNLESS necessary for many reasons. Even at 40+ weeks but, I will hold back. It sounds odd that they induce others that are in different positions then you? I hope whatever happens you are comfortable with the decision. You can decline induction when the time comes uf all is ok. It's your body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneDoe View Post
With my first, I would've been very concerned, you always see so much talk about waiting till baby is ready, and one intervention causing the supposed cascade of interventions, and I just believed it after seeing it so often... But from what I understand at this point, although the risks of small problems go up slightly by inducing before the due date but still term (i.e. baby needing to stay in the NICU for a few days), the perinatal mortality risks go down. Which is big to me. So especially if it were a perinatologist I was seeing for extra issues, I wouldn't be too concerned at the re. Though I would probably ask if they were going to take my Bishop score into account (and I would refresh my memory on what a Bishop score entails first).

Actually tomorrow I am meeting with my old MFM for the first time this pregnancy and I will specifically be asking her whether an induction at 38 weeks would be an appropriate recommendation for my case.
Great response. It shows every person is different as is every pregnancy.

September 19th, 2012, 06:30 AM
foosdiva's Avatar Expecting #2
You do what is best for you & your baby, not what others think is best. You will know when it gets closer to the end. It's easy for others to judge when they aren't in your situation.
September 19th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Super Mommy
I am with everyone else that you do what is right for you and the baby. I was personally induced with my first at 39 weeks due to size of the baby. He was born 9.1lbs and 23 inches long. I would have been scared to see what size he would have been at 40 weeks. Needless to say due to his size and some pelvic issues with me he ended up being born via c-section (poor kid didnt fit!).

I will be going to c-section route this time around too but we are having issues with dates due to DH's work schedule. I will actually be a few days shy of my due date for a planned c-section. My dr and I already have a plan if I should got earlier than plan what needs to be done so we shall see.

Thank Kiliki for the siggy!!

September 19th, 2012, 07:14 AM
MommyKent910's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would def. feel uncomfortable with the induce at 39 weeks blanket. Baby will come when baby is ready to come but I would trust your DRs to make the decision to induce baby if they need it.

Ill be hoping for you to go into labor before your induction so you can still get your experience of going into labor and going to the hostipal
September 19th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
foosdiva, yes, this will be my first baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneDoe View Post
But from what I understand at this point, although the risks of small problems go up slightly by inducing before the due date but still term (i.e. baby needing to stay in the NICU for a few days), the perinatal mortality risks go down.
This is the crux of it I think. They feel that by delivering at 39 weeks that they'll only be dealing with small problems (if any at all), and that everyone is much better equipped to handle those issues outside the womb rather than still inside. It's the lowest risk option when it comes to mortality.

Presented that way, the logic makes complete sense to me. I was prepared from the start that any pregnancy I achieved would be high risk, and that we'd have to adjust accordingly. It's just hard to mentally overcome some of these preconceived notions about inductions and delivering early, I think. I've listened to my best friend talk for a couple years about how her first OB wanted to induce her, and how she'd never agree to be induced and that's why she left that practice and saw a midwife for her second... I've not been thinking about her specifically, but I think all of these things you hear just sink in over time and impact the way you perceive these different labor and deliver paths.

But I know that my pregnancy isn't identical to anyone else's, and so I can't really compare it to other situations or to some ideal standard. And in the end all that matters is a healthy baby, and whatever gives me the greatest chance of that is clearly what I'll do. I do trust my OB completely; he did a 4 hour emergency surgery on me last year when I was hemorrhaging from an ectopic, and so he knows better than anyone the issues I have going on down there that could impact this pregnancy. I have been taking and will continue to take whatever course of action he recommends.

Thank you, ladies, for all your feedback and for letting me talk this out here. I know it's not really that big of a deal, but this has helped me to come to terms with it. Getting baby here and healthy is all that matters.
Mom2twolittlemen and Ravado like this.

September 19th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Send a message via AIM to Mom2twolittlemen Send a message via MSN to Mom2twolittlemen
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosdiva View Post
You do what is best for you & your baby, not what others think is best. You will know when it gets closer to the end. It's easy for others to judge when they aren't in your situation.
Don't think others' where judging .

Chickadee, of course you will know whats right for you and your baby. I agree, I would be conflicted as well . As having been induced for medical reasons at 41 weeks, still my baby actually suffered from medical issues after birth because of the induction. The key is always advocate for yourself and empower yourself with knowledge so, when it comes to decision making, you will know inside you made the right decision. It is important to trust yourself just as much as your doctor.
stephanieaehenley likes this.

September 19th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I want to add: I really hope you get to experience going into labor on your own for sure.

September 19th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't think anyone here was judging either, but I do appreciate foosdiva's point - because there does tend to be judgment at times on these kinds of things, or there is the potential for it at least. Most people (myself included) think and operate based on their personal experiences and ancedotal evidence from those they know. After thinking about my best friend this morning, I'm already anticipating that her response to this (me planning to be induced) is going to be negative. It's easy for her to feel that way though when she conceived easily, has never had losses, was never high risk, and had zero complications in either of her pregnancies, etc. She could have just two ultrasounds in each of her pregnancies and be fairly confident that things were fine, whereas I've had so many ultrasounds this pregnancy that I've lost count (16 or 17 at this point I think? and I'll have at least 10 more). My situation and hers just aren't comparable, and someone who hasn't had my set of experiences may not be able to understand the choices I make. And that's ok; no one has to understand except my husband and I.

But of course there are lots of reasons I don't like the thought of being induced - all the ones mentioned here, and others that haven't come up. Weighed against the risk of a higher mortality rate though, I realize that the physicians at my perinatal practice have a good, sound reason for their recommendation. And while I may just be one of many high risk patients there who falls under a set of blanket recommendations, my OB knows me and my particular situation very well. If he's convinced it's the best option, I'm willing to go with that.

Sorry, I'm clearly still thinking through all of this aloud, lol.

I do hope too though that I'll somehow get to experience going into labor on my own. The night before I'm scheduled to be induced would be excellent timing.

September 19th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Glowlilac's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
I do hope too though that I'll somehow get to experience going into labor on my own. The night before I'm scheduled to be induced would be excellent timing.
It's very possible for this to happen ... I was scheduled to be induced the next morning because I was nearly 42 weeks, and sure enough I went into labor at 10 pm the night before.

September 19th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowlilac View Post
It's very possible for this to happen ... I was scheduled to be induced the next morning because I was nearly 42 weeks, and sure enough I went into labor at 10 pm the night before.
Oh good, that's totally what I'm going to be hoping for, then!

September 19th, 2012, 11:11 AM
I have heard lots of neat stories that women go into labor right before inductions take place.

I am glad your thinking it aloud. Its good to talk about these experiences.... We all definetly get to and from and through pregnancy so many different ways. Some more stressful than others. And of course would totally change how we think and perceive how we want our births. Its hard to let go of our desires and those dreams you often think laboring and birthing will be sometimes, but this is all a learning experience. Even for me being a third time around mom, I must say each of the pregnancies I have had have been so different, and I expect each l&d to be its' own timeline as well. Isn't it so exciting and scary all at once?

September 19th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Mrs.Ajalele's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mrs.Ajalele
I think that you sound like have educated yourself very well on the matter and it is great that you trust your Dr. so much that is very important. I will also hope for you to go into labor naturally before hand so you get to experience everything you mentioned but babies health is of course the most important

*Always loving and missing my best friend the mother of my beautiful Goddaughter **Marissa Sue** you are always in my heart Mar Mar!* Left this earth to go to Heaven June 22nd 2008*

September 19th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2twolittlemen View Post
Its hard to let go of our desires and those dreams you often think laboring and birthing will be sometimes
That's the oddest thing - I really thought that I was going into this without any expectations or dreams surrounding how the birth would go. I felt like I gave up on any expectation of having a "normal" or typical experience a long time ago, since nothing about this from the get-go has been normal. And I was happy to not have expectations, figuring that way I couldn't be disappointed. And then here I am - feeling disappointed or conflicted about how L&D might go!

You're right that it's exciting and scary all at once. And when I really think about it, I realize that I'm just very lucky that I get to experience this at all.

September 20th, 2012, 06:43 PM
stephanieaehenley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Skype™ to stephanieaehenley
i hope you get the outcome you want , whatever is best for you and the baby is the most important thing!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search