Newborn clothes or 0-3 clothes?

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2012, 04:05 PM
1st time mom
Ok so is there a difference in newborn clothes and 0-3 month clothes? Ha I thought the 0 part of 0-3 meant newborn.. But the way some people talk about clothes makes me think they are different.

I am such a FTM

Also: sense I was a decent sized baby and DH was a 10 pounder... Would it be safe to just buy mostly 0-3 month if there is a difference? And maybe just a few newborn items?
September 19th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Super Mommy
In my experience 0-3 and newborn (which are only slightly different in terms if size) do not last very long or get much use. I say get a few outfits only in this size, mainly comfy things like those sleep sacks with the open bottoms. If you end up with a tiny baby you can always pick up a few more things, but for me the 3-6 month and especially the 6-12 month are the sizes that are more practical. Babies grow so fast at first that there's no point in having a huge wardrobe of the tiny things -- you just won't use that many. Pick your very most favorite items and give those some repeat wears, and don't bother with the rest.
September 19th, 2012, 04:33 PM
JoyandNumberFive's Avatar Super Mommy
I usually by one newborn outfit for my "take home" outfit for the baby. I do buy some newborn outfits although they do grow out of them fairly quickly. It's easy to over do it on clothing for new babies, especially if you have family wanting to spoil them.

September 19th, 2012, 04:55 PM
jojow
It really depends. I make tiny babies and they fit in NB for 2-3 months, so I get a lot of use out of my newborn and subsequently 0-3 month clothes. Newborn clothes are smaller than 0-3 months.
September 19th, 2012, 05:09 PM
1st time mom
Ok so there is a difference then. Guess I'll buy a couple newborn items just in case we need them and get the rest in bigger sizes. I feel like I should buy mostly 0-3 and3-6 month clothes because 6-9 months seems so far away from now.
September 19th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Veteran
I had a good amount of NB and I did use them (DD was 6lbs14oz). She was swimming in 0-3 month. Personally, to me it most depends upon how much you want to do laundry. I am exhausted early on and would rather spend more to have enough to not be doing laundry all the day. Some babies have lots of diaper accidents or spit up where you're changing them a lot, too (we got lucky on that one).

Lots of people say to keep the tags on most - that's kind of a cross btwn the two strategies, you can still stock up, and return the NB sizes if you have a bigger baby, but if you do need the NB you have to initially do a lot of laundry (and cut off all those tags which takes forever).

Also if you are having a shower or otherwise expecting lots of gifts, people usually love to give the smaller sizes.
September 19th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Mom2twolittlemen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2twolittlemen Send a message via MSN to Mom2twolittlemen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojow View Post
It really depends. I make tiny babies and they fit in NB for 2-3 months, so I get a lot of use out of my newborn and subsequently 0-3 month clothes. Newborn clothes are smaller than 0-3 months.
Ditto

September 19th, 2012, 07:49 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think my kids fit in NB size for about a month so I would get a few outfits. You never really know what size they will be or how fast they will grow. It's probably safe to get a few NB items, but more 0-3 outfits.
birdblue likes this.

September 19th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Super Mommy
I would only get a few and keep tags on them. I know in my case I had a bigger baby and he could not fit in the newborn clothes. They were just not long enough. I have been mainly stocking up in 0-3 and 3 mos clothes.

Thank Kiliki for the siggy!!

September 19th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I make small babies too and they stay on Nb sizes for a while. Also dh and I were 8 lb plus babies. My first dd was 5-10 full term and 2nd baby was 6-11 full term.

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
September 20th, 2012, 06:32 AM
Hokie Nicole's Avatar Super Mommy
DS was almost 9 pound so none of the NB clothes fit and the 0-3 lasted about 3 weeks as I recall. So just don't do too many just in case
September 20th, 2012, 10:05 AM
gratzie's Avatar Expecting #2!!!
Definitely get at least a few onesies in NB and then mainly 0-3mos clothes. You really just don't know the size of the baby until it comes out. DS was 8#2oz and fit NB for a couple weeks. Also, if you find stuff on sale in th bigger sizes, don't hesitate to get it! The baby will fit it eventually and later on you won't regret it! I know I never have!!!

September 20th, 2012, 11:10 AM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
it really depends on your babies weight and size.. my first daughter was born 5lbs 13oz was in premature baby clothes for about 2 weeks, then in newborn baby clothes for about 2months before even getting into 0-3 months! so we needed alot of newborn stuff, where as my second daughter she was born 8lbs and still wore newborn stuff for a few weeks as did my son

September 20th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie Nicole View Post
DS was almost 9 pound so none of the NB clothes fit and the 0-3 lasted about 3 weeks as I recall. So just don't do too many just in case
Same for me! Mine are big babies and the little stuff just isn't going to work!
September 21st, 2012, 03:09 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Baby size and growth pattern is the 64,000 question. My first was 7lbs 8oz but lost a bunch of weight and didn't regain her birth weight until six week old so she used a bunch of New born outfits. But once she started gain she hit 20lbs about six or seven month. My other two girls started out at 8lbs 3 oz and 8lbs 6oz but didn't gain fast at all reaching 20lbs after one year.

For me I have NB size which is from 6 to 8lbs and use them since they are so gentally used. The 0-3 I buy more of which is from 8-12 lbs. also in my experience the more expensive the brand name the bigger the clothing. Walmart clothes running small, Calvin Klien, running much bigger... etc.

FTM ALERT: clothing marked size 6m means 3-6 month. When I had my first and went to put them on her at six month I completely missed the time frame to wear those outfits WHOOPS.

September 21st, 2012, 03:25 PM
stephanieaehenley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Skype™ to stephanieaehenley
my son was small when he was born and he was in nb for a few months and then 0-3 for a few months but if you think your baby is going to be bigger you could probably go more with 0-3 instead of nb
September 21st, 2012, 06:49 PM
Glowlilac's Avatar Veteran
I agree with the other ladies. I wouldn't go crazy with the newborn or 0-3 months size, especially if you're thinking you might have a big baby. DS was 9 pounds 6 ounces, and the newborn was too small when he was born, and the 0-3 only lasted about a month or so. I would buy a few of each. You can always order more online easily after baby is here if you think you need them.

September 21st, 2012, 07:01 PM
ukmumof3's Avatar Veteran
depends on how big baby is mine are usually around 6lb -7lb and they fit in newborn for a month or 2 but they also are ok in 0-3 months by about a month old my daughter is 7 months now and some of her 0-3 months clothes still fit her the only things that seem to not fit her long are tops
September 21st, 2012, 07:47 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
NB clothes here only go up to 7 lbs, and my last baby was 8 lbs. So I only buy 0-3 months clothing.
September 21st, 2012, 08:20 PM
Super Mommy
My first son was 6lbs 1oz but he was 19 1/2 inches long. He ended up in preemie clothes for a few weeks just because even the nb stuff hung off of him. Then he was in nb for a while. One thing we did was find friends or friends of friends who had children no more than a 12-18 months before us and got hand me downs. With as much as my son spit up the first year they were a life saver!
My second son on the other hand came out at 8lbs even. Chubby cheeks and chubby thighs! Even he wore nb for a little while though. My kids tend to be small for the first 2-2 1/2 years then hit a big growth spurt and match other kids of their age. Alot of people look at me (I'm 5'2) and say oh they aren't going to be big even when they are grown (annoying) but what they don't know is my husband is 6'3 and I am the shortest person in my family by a good 4 inches.

So, all babies are different and just because you and your husband were bigger babies doesn't necessarily mean your first one will be. I would definitely recommend trying to get some hand me downs or going to resale shops. Instead of having to cut off all those tags you just throw an extra load in the wash then ogle all of it, again, as you fold.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search