Drugstore stapels you'll need after delivery!

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Rebelmommy
  • 1 Post By gratzie
  • 1 Post By calijk
  • 1 Post By mamatomany
  • 2 Post By Mom2twolittlemen

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Rebelmommy's Avatar Mommy to controlled chaos
I received this in my inbox this morning and thought I would share Especially for those first time moms. Feel free to add to the list

Maxi Pads: Buy enough to make your baby's diaper stash look inadequate. Get the super soft, natural ones without dri-weave. Friction is not your friend and neither is chlorine.
Stool Softener: Pop a pill or two and you'll thank yourself later. The medications you may receive during labor, as well as a lack of food and drink, can leave you constipated. Make sure you buy one with a laxative in it.
Tucks pads: Stick a couple of these on top of your maxi pad for cooling relief. They're marketed for hemorrhoids, but they can also take the burn out of inflamed vaginal tissue.
Preparation H: Slather on this cream if you have hemorrhoids -- it's better at shrinking those bad boys than anything else.
Dermoplast: Use this numbing spray on your vagina or rectum if you have soreness.
Epsom salts: Add a couple of teaspoons to your sitz bath (a shallow tub that you can soak your bum in for pain relief) to make it even more healing.
pinkpopsicles likes this.
Talon
(12/05/05) Creighton (01/31/13) (05/02/14)

September 20th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Mommytoeight2013's Avatar Super Mommy
These are a must!!!
September 20th, 2012, 10:19 AM
mistletoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Very useful list. Thanks you. But I also have to admit, as a FTM, it makes me cringe a little.
September 20th, 2012, 10:55 AM
gratzie's Avatar Expecting #2!!!
I would smear the Preparation H on a Tucks pad haha! And the Dermoplast my-oh-my what relief!!! But an L&D nurse friend of mine warned against using it too frequently and for too long because it can cause permanent numbing down there..lsounds nice after baby comes, but you really don't want it permanently numb down there lol!
Rebelmommy likes this.

September 20th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Mrs.Ajalele's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mrs.Ajalele
These are some great tips. I healed very nicely and was not very sore with my first but who knows if it will be the same this time! Though I got hemorrhoids pretty bad a couple weeks after and preparation H didn't cut it.. I had to get steroid suppository from my Dr.

Oh also will add that I am grateful for using depends the first couple days because my bleeding was so heavy..

*Always loving and missing my best friend the mother of my beautiful Goddaughter **Marissa Sue** you are always in my heart Mar Mar!* Left this earth to go to Heaven June 22nd 2008*

September 20th, 2012, 11:16 AM
calijk's Avatar First Time Mommy!
thanks for the list, i had no idea...scary lol!
Hokie Nicole likes this.
September 20th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the list! I agree with some of the other posters, that it is a little shocking if you are a first timer!
September 20th, 2012, 12:26 PM
artisticmind's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
if you have a good OB/Midwife they will request a laxative/stool softener for you after delivery. if not request one while you are in the facility! a majority of them work within about 12 hours so they may give it to you prior to discharge/the day after delivery. As a natural preparation your body will focus on cleaning itself out (you'll hear a lot of women complain they had diarrhea before labor started) and you honestly won't be very hungry at all. I know the evening i went to the hospital for Riley's delivery the only thing i had to eat that day was a sliced apple. I just wasn't hungry at the time. afterwards is a different story LOL i couldn't get something to eat soon enough! and what your body doesn't clean out before labor may come out during the pushing stage but your doctor/nurses have seen it all and will have it cleaned up and you will never know about it unless you ask.

Baby Girl expected 2.12.13!

Annie :wife to JJ and mommy to Riley
missing our Feb. 2012
September 20th, 2012, 01:01 PM
pinkpopsicles's Avatar Super Mommy
Yep. Especially if you need stitches, take the stool softener! Found out the hard way after my first delivery that you shouldn't wait to see if you need it--better to take some and wait and see if you don't really need it

September 20th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Super Mommy
I'd like to add some kind of soothing gel pad for your nipples if you plan to breastfeed -- that's a lifesaver in those first few days!
Rebelmommy likes this.
September 20th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Mom2twolittlemen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2twolittlemen Send a message via MSN to Mom2twolittlemen
Lanolin!

September 20th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Rebelmommy's Avatar Mommy to controlled chaos
Breast shields (pads for your nipples), for those moments when your breast start to leak uncontrollably!
Talon
(12/05/05) Creighton (01/31/13) (05/02/14)

September 21st, 2012, 03:18 PM
Veteran
Thanks for the tips and the scares lol!!!

September 21st, 2012, 03:31 PM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
ESPECIALLY the stool softener.... I ended up with anal fissures allll the way until I got pregnant again because I was nursing! Healing seemed to be strictly hormonal. When I was getting my cycle they'd heal up, I was also nursing and they said they wouldn't go away unless I stopped nursing. Well I'm pregnant and they are officially gone. THANK THE LORD! Because Idk if y'all know what those are... but they are paper cuts on your back door that constantly open up and it's like pooing a knife everytime and man o man it bleeds. Take your stoo' softner!

September 21st, 2012, 08:45 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would be careful about tucks pads, they can actually make it worse.

I only used maxi pads with my previous vaginal births. It'll likely be the same, this time though I might want to not run out.
September 22nd, 2012, 10:24 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Tylenol... helps.
September 22nd, 2012, 01:02 PM
martilynne's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
all great suggestions. My OB prescribed stool softeners, I'm glad because I never would've thought about it. I definitely need them since I was taking iron as well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search