Milk supply question

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rebelmommy
  • 1 Post By AmyLM

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2012, 09:46 AM
1st time mom
So I read that it can take a few days, or a week to get your milk in after you have your baby. So question: what does your baby do for that time period? I mean I imagine you still try to breast feed.. But if your milk isn't in yet then what's your baby doing for food?
September 21st, 2012, 09:47 AM
Rebelmommy's Avatar Mommy to controlled chaos
In the beginning your breasts get colostrum which is all your baby really needs, it is semi clear sugar water
AmyLM likes this.
Talon
(12/05/05) Creighton (01/31/13) (05/02/14)

September 21st, 2012, 09:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes, you produce colostrum which is very important for baby to get. You nurse, every 2 hours, just like you would if you milk was there. When I had my first baby, the nurse scared me into thinking that because of my age, it would take forever for my milk to come in. I was so worried, and then it showed up in 2 days. Try not to worry about it. Remember, formula hasn't been around forever and yet, the human race still survived. Your baby won't starve in those first few days.
Rebelmommy likes this.

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
September 21st, 2012, 10:19 AM
Danijoy84's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Danijoy84
What the other ladies said You'll know when your milk comes in and your baby's belly isn't very large in the beginning. I think they say it's like 2 tablespoons of colostrum will fill them up. Good question though
September 21st, 2012, 10:38 AM
1st time mom
Thanks ladies! That makes a lot of sense!
September 21st, 2012, 10:45 AM
jojow
Yep, they eat colostrum. I don't produce as much colostrum as milk, so my babies nurse a ton in the first few days. Make sure to keep some lanolin on hand for nipple soreness! The constant nursing is a little bit tough for me, but I just remind myself it helps the milk come faster and it's good for the baby.
September 21st, 2012, 12:10 PM
MiaVena's Avatar Proud Mommy
heh i had the same exact question in my mind
September 21st, 2012, 12:11 PM
pinkpopsicles's Avatar Super Mommy
With my first my milk didn't really come in for almost 4 days. The nurse kept squeezing his belly telling me it was still nice and full from when he was inside (apparently they swallow a lot of amniotic fluid during labor and delivery). Nature takes care of it.
If babies blood sugar is low (like DD cause she was early) or they are very very small they do give them a little formula until your milk comes.

September 21st, 2012, 12:45 PM
*BabyMaMa*'s Avatar Kimber MaMa to Leah
Yeah newborns stomachs are teeny, like the size of a marble. It's pretty amazing. In fact they're only expected to have 1 wet diaper the first day of life, and then wet diapers increase with each day. The human body has all necessary to sustain a baby inside and out.

Feb 2012
September 21st, 2012, 01:38 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
After the earthquake in Mexico City in 1985 I think they were finding newborn babies in the rubble 7 days after the quake because they had enough water and what they needed on board to last a lot longer than one would imagine.

Miracle babies | Mexico earthquake | Survivors stories

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search