Which spelling to you like best for name?

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Which spelling looks best with Annalyn?
Aiden-Annalyn 14 41.18%
Aidan-Annalyn 13 38.24%
Aidyn-Annalyn 3 8.82%
Aydyn-Annalyn 1 2.94%
Aden-Annalyn 3 8.82%
Adan-Annalyn 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joliving4Jesus's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
Well I've had a baby girl name picked for 8 years so our twin girl will be Annalyn Grace, I want Aiden for a boy and dh was against it for awhile but now he is coming around to it but wants a different spelling, which spelling do you like the best and which spelling looks the best with Annalyn? I am going to put each spelling option beside Annalyn so you can see how each look together.

September 21st, 2012, 04:02 PM
jeangeorge2742728's Avatar Crazy Momma 2 seven
Aydyn-Annalyn , those are really beautiful name's
Samuel (Sammy) Wesley 5-27-07
Kaitlynn Faith 6-11-08
MaryJean Hope 9-16-11
Ethan Curtis 02-06-13

Last edited by jeangeorge2742728; September 21st, 2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: got words messed up
September 21st, 2012, 04:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I said Aidan. I like the way it looks better than Aiden or Aydyn. No offense but when I see it Aydyn, all the y's make it look more feminine, IMO.

September 21st, 2012, 04:32 PM
terryterry's Avatar Super Mommy
I think I'd avoid Adan, because when I see it I pronounce the first A like apple, not A like Avery.
September 21st, 2012, 04:46 PM
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLM View Post
I said Aidan. I like the way it looks better than Aiden or Aydyn. No offense but when I see it Aydyn, all the y's make it look more feminine, IMO.
I totally know what you mean because I thought the same thing but dh loves that spelling

September 21st, 2012, 06:35 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLM View Post
I agree with this! Also, I think both aiden and Aidan are the 'traditional' spellings (correct me if I'm wrong) and so that would be less likely to eternally need correction, like for example Adan (I think people would guess it was Adam a lot).
September 21st, 2012, 06:38 PM
ukmumof3's Avatar Veteran
Aidan-Annalyn
September 21st, 2012, 07:07 PM
I like the traditional spellings and it looks like they are winning but I think dh won't let me use the name if I use a traditional spelling ...he wants something unique, I can handle Aidyn but do not like the two y's, he does.

September 21st, 2012, 07:51 PM
Veteran
I really think adding a y makes it look like a girl's name. If he really wants a more unique spelling, how about Aidin? Still looks masculine to me. Aden looks masculine too though I would assume it's pronounced ah-den. Or Aidon or Aaiden? If you click on this link and scroll down it lists a lot of related names/spellings:

Aiden - Boy | Baby Names, Name Meaning, Popularity | BabyCenter
September 22nd, 2012, 09:20 AM
*CrabLegs*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a stickler for traditional spellings. I voted for Aiden. Adding y's makes me think the name is being used for a girl. The Aden/Adan makes me think of the name Adam, so I would pronounce it (until corrected) as a variation of the name Adam.

September 22nd, 2012, 09:31 AM
Super Mommy
If you don't want the traditional spelling I would go with Aden. I think it's the least likely of the non-trad choices to be mispronounced or assumed to be a girl.
September 22nd, 2012, 09:35 AM
While I know the y looks feminine, has anyone actually ever heard a girl with the name Aiden? Spelled with Y's? I have never heard of a little girl named Aiden, ever, very boy sounding name to me, so just curious if anyone has actually known a girl named this? I am definitely not getting Adam from Aden or Adan, its clearly a N and not a M...I would be more concerned those two spellings would be pronounced Add-en or Add-an.

Last edited by Joliving4Jesus; September 22nd, 2012 at 09:37 AM.
September 22nd, 2012, 09:37 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
I like traditional spellings. We did not use Michaela or Caitlin for Tessa because DH and I could not agree on spellings. (he wanted MaKayla or Katelyn)

September 22nd, 2012, 09:55 AM
pinkpopsicles's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliving4Jesus View Post
While I know the y looks feminine, has anyone actually ever heard a girl with the name Aiden? Spelled with Y's? I have never heard of a little girl named Aiden, ever, very boy sounding name to me, so just curious if anyone has actually known a girl named this? I am definitely not getting Adam from Aden or Adan, its clearly a N and not a M...I would be more concerned those two spellings would be pronounced Add-en or Add-an.
Nope, but have known two little girls named Mychael so as others have said, adding the y does make you wonder about if its a girls name. If it were me I would still think it's a boy but other people...don't know...

September 22nd, 2012, 09:58 AM
*CrabLegs*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliving4Jesus View Post
I think it may be on JM actually that I've seen a little girl or two named Aiden, although I don't remember how they spelled it. I had mentioned Aden/Adan making me pronounce it like Adam. I should have been clearer, I didn't mean I'd actually say "Adam" but I might think it was the same soft 'a' sound and pronounce it "add-en" instead of "A-den", if that makes sense?

Sometimes it doesn't even matter how you spell a name, the kid is going to be correcting people regardless becuase English is a difficult language. DD's name is uncommon but spelled traditionally and people mispronounce it all the time (sometimes even after I correct them repeatedly lol). If you and DH love the name, I say go for it regardless of what everyone else thinks. I think your names are adorable and work great together.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search