Home Birth Mommy

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Rebelmommy
  • 2 Post By jojow
  • 3 Post By Born2BeAmom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2013, 01:01 PM
MommyKent910's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know we have lots of threads about packing bags for the hospital but home birth mommies, what do you have to prepare? Does your MW bring most of what you need or do you have to do certain things to prepare your home?

-do you also have a bag just in case you need to go to the hospital?
January 14th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Rebelmommy's Avatar Mommy to controlled chaos
Oh I am curious as well, in case we actually get to do a home birth next time
MommyKent910 likes this.

January 14th, 2013, 01:43 PM
jojow
I have a list of supplies I need to get ready (things like towels, blankets, shower line to protect the floor, and various other things like that) and my midwife gives me a birth kit at around 37 weeks. In it are things like chux pads, exam gloves/jelly, newborn hat, cord clamp, pads, herb bath, etc. Then she has things that she brings to the birth like the doppler, cord scissors, various herbs, newborn exam things, stuff like that. I do not pack a bag for the hospital, personally.
lisadlv and Rebelmommy like this.
January 15th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Born2BeAmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm in prayer about having this one at home. I've had all of my other ones in hospitals. This time it keeps pointing to God wanting me to have this one at home. I've been doing a crazy amount of research on home births and have a friend who has 7 kids, 5 of which were at home. She would be here with me to help, kind of like a doula.

Here are some of the things I've read that you need...

1. Plastic for the floor and under your sheets. (or plastic lined sheets) (I know women who used lots of chux pads instead. Some used shower curtains. It varies.)
2. Chux pads
3. Chord clamps
4. Sterile scissors to cut the chord
5. Bulb Syringes
6. Scale
7. Towels
8. Doppler
9. Pads
10. Blankets
11. Olive or Almond oil to massage the perinium

With the snow we've had here in Idaho and the fact that I have NO urge to deliver on the side of a snowy road I am seriously preparing to have a home birth. (whether I do or not) I also found out my Ob was sick and on call and delivered babies anyway. Then she took a few days off because her sickness got so bad. I didn't like this. It made me question just how many sick people are going to have to work, spreading their germs. O.O

So we purchased a few things.(sterile scissors, clamps etc.) Some we already had. I also bought Shepherds Purse Tincture just in case I would have any issues with bleeding.

In preparing to labor at home, I also wrote down helpful Scripture verses and will hang them in my room. Hubby and I are also putting together a labor cd for me.

Although I love my friend the epideral, I have had 2 without and one was almost 9 lbs sunny side up with me flat on my back. I know I can deliver my baby at home if need be. I like the idea of my baby being born in my home, esp. now that kids aren't allowed in so many hospitals. As for the pain, well that's a different story. lol I'm still seeing my Dr. but will just wait and see what labor day brings for where this princess will be born.
jojow, lisadlv and Rebelmommy like this.

Kristy: mom to 5 beautiful daughters with daughter #6 on the way and the author of the Ice Moon Series www.icemoonseries.com
www.kristyquinn.net

I Blog http://happyhomemakingwithkristy.blogspot.com/
http://raisinggodlydaughters-kristy.blogspot.com/

January 16th, 2013, 09:50 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think I'll probably find when I dig out my birth supplies box that I need several things. I expect I need Chux pads, overnight pads, Depends, hydrogen peroxide, witch hazel, and possibly a few other things. I think I probably have a few vinyl-backed tablecloths, a vinyl shower curtain, and maybe a few other supplies (I honestly don't remember what was needed last time.). I will, of course, also have to have towels clean and ready to go, flannel receiving blankets, clothing set out for baby, etc., which I will get right at the last moment, for sure. My midwife will bring all of the medical supplies and the cord clamp and whatnot. I also will have her bring a birth stool.

I also do not plan on packing a hospital bag. I did last time, but feel confident that I would be able to survive with the bare minimum at the hospital if I were emergency transferred. My husband is competent enough to get what I'd need from the house without my direct involvement after the fact anyway.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search