Pregnancy Anemia

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tryn1998

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2013, 03:16 PM
tryn1998's Avatar Veteran
Does anyone else have anemia during their pregnancy? I was just told at my docs office that I have a mild case of it. Not surprised considering my prenatals make me sick. Well, they gave me an iron supplement and I took it on a full stomach b/c I know pills like this DO make me feel sick, and now I've been spending the evening vomiting. I would imagine this would be a bad thing at 36wks considering vomiting can cause you to have contractions. Not to mention, it's not much fun puking and peeing at the same time b/c of the pressure baby is putting on my bladder when I am getting sick. Wouldn't the vomiting just be stripping me of MORE nutrients? I dunno what to do. Part of me would rather be really tired until I deliver then to be throwing up all day long trying to take care of 3 kids.
January 14th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have anemia. My iron levels were just under normal from my 1st trimester bloodwork. When I had my 2nd trimester bloodwork done, my doctor said that my iron levels dropped quite a bit, and had to start taking the pills. She said that if I didn't get my iron levels up before labor and delivery that I might require a blood transfusion during birth. Scary thought!

It doesn't sound like your anemia is too bad, but it something to think about (potential for needing a blood transfusion). Maybe you can take your vitamins at a different time? If it keeps up I would tell your doctor that the vitamins make you vomit, and then maybe they can prescribe something different?

I have been taking my vitamins with dinner. So about halfway through my dinner meal, I take my vitamins. Not sure why it makes me feel better doing it that way, but it does. I figure the vitamins have something to sit on, and my digestive juices are in steady motion during my meal, and the vitamins possibly get digested better.

Hope it works out!
January 14th, 2013, 04:09 PM
He showed me the levels and normal is 30 and I'm at 31.5. I've been trying to do research and it seems that anything under 30 is considered anemic. Could I not be anemic and he's just not happy that I'm close enough to it?
January 14th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Veteran
I was also put on iron supplementation because my doc said I have anemia. I have been non-compliant and only take it twice a week rather than daily. The first week I took it(warning........................................ .......................... sorry for the TMI), but I did not go #2. I started taking a stool softener and decided to only take it twice week. Added other protein sources and problem solved. I also don't take my iron at the same time as my prenatals. I take it right before I go to bed with a glass of apple juice or grape juice.

January 14th, 2013, 04:46 PM
pinkpopsicles's Avatar Super Mommy
I would call and ask if there's another way for you to take your iron. I had to take iron after my 1st delivery because of blood loss and the pills they gave me made me sick (both ends--sorry tmi). I told my doc and he gave me a different kind that was gentler on the tummy and I didn't have any issues. I'm sorry I don't remember the name though.
Or maybe you could just promise your doc that you'll eat a lot of iron--like dark leafy greens, red meat...etc...that may be a better way to do it anyway

January 14th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Veteran
I have a couple recommendations.
1) Try to find a "Slow FE", It will say that right on the box. It means the iron is realized slower and less likely to cause upset stomach.
2) If that doesn't work, stay away from the synthetic forms of iron. Usually they are fine but some people can't tolerate them. Try to find a vitamin with whole foods iron in them. They are more spendy. Off the top of my head I know Garden of life uses real food in their vitamin code. There are others though.

3) Avoid caffeine, soda, coffee, tea (anything with phytates) or oxylates (spinach). These all interact with iron. Not a big deal for most people but if you are trying to avoid a blood transfusion, worth a shot.
January 14th, 2013, 04:52 PM
martilynne's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was borderline anemic during my pregnancy with Jax. My OB knew I was having problems with nausea so he told me to skip the supplements and up my intake of red meat and leafy green veggies.

January 15th, 2013, 05:28 AM
Thanks for the tips. I think I'm going to just make sure I take my prenatal (wasn't taking it b/c they make me nauseous but nausea is better than puking) and then eat more iron foods throughout the day. I'm hoping the combo together will be better than nothing at all and will keep from throwing up throughout the day too.

Does anyone know how long it takes to feel the "difference" after being on iron though out of curiosity? I know a lot of people feel the extreme exhaustion as their sign, but after the supplements, how long did it take to get energy back?
January 15th, 2013, 06:58 AM
mistletoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Like others have said, I was borderline -- sounds similar to you. As the doctor put it, I was on the low end of OK. So she just recommended that I included more iron-rich foods (red meats, lentils, beans, dark leafy greens) and to try to consume them with citrus (juice or fruit -- to improve absorption) and to avoid consuming caffeine around the same time, which can compromise absorption. (So my morning tea is enjoyed a bit later in the morning now.) I also take a prenatal that has some some iron in it. (And I take it like also mentioned, sort of sandwiched within a meal for less stressful absorption.)

Sorry, I don't know how long it takes to feel less tired. But I hope you find a method that works for you and you feel better soon.
January 15th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Thanks! I think it's just me being borderline, like you said, low end of ok - atleast from my research and the results the doc showed me. I took my prenatal this morning with orange juice and found that graham crackers is 6% iron so I may munch on those a few times a day along with getting some more red meat and leafy greens with my dinner and doing cereal in the morning. I'm hoping that the entire combo will work. I like my tea though, so it'll be hard to slim that down a bit, but I'm not much of a soda drinker except maybe once a week, so I'm ok on that front
rosiewells likes this.
January 15th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Veteran
Does anyone know how long it takes to feel the "difference" after being on iron though out of curiosity? I know a lot of people feel the extreme exhaustion as their sign, but after the supplements, how long did it take to get energy back?[/QUOTE]

It is about a 21 day turn around for hemoglobin to raise so it should take about that long for you too feel a difference. That is why prevention is key. You don't want it to get low or even lower.
January 16th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassalota View Post
Does anyone know how long it takes to feel the "difference" after being on iron though out of curiosity? I know a lot of people feel the extreme exhaustion as their sign, but after the supplements, how long did it take to get energy back?
It is about a 21 day turn around for hemoglobin to raise so it should take about that long for you too feel a difference. That is why prevention is key. You don't want it to get low or even lower.[/QUOTE]

The baby will be here by then Honestly, yesterday was already much better for me. I wasn't nearly as tired. I think just the little boost in iron helped since I don't think I was technically anemic, just low enough to where he didn't want it to drop further.
January 16th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Mommytoeight2013's Avatar Super Mommy
I was retested at my last appointment to make sure my iron levels went back up. I hope they did. I was only a few points off of being normal. Since, taking the supplements I'm not so tired and dizzy anymore.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search