FLU Season mandate - no kids

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree34Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Super Mommy
It also would depend heavily on the hospital enforcing the rules. My mom had terrible pneumonia and my sister seems to be sick 24/7 and is very self involved so she will go anywhere hacking and coughing and snotting. Anyways, it was when that bird flu or whatever was going around a couple years ago to the point where they were shutting down school districts and my kids and I went to visit mom in the hospital. They had signs everywhere about regardless of age if you had any symptoms you were not allowed to visit the hospital. There was my sister in the room with my mom, hardly able to talk she was so congested and coughing everywhere and the nurses never batted an eye. There was even a newborn directly across the hall with the door announcing it was a girl and they still let my sister in and didn't make her leave once she was there.

I would rather have my healthy children come in to visit then for that particular 32 year old woman to be permitted just because she is over 18. That being said I will have to check with the hospital to see if they currently have any restrictions. Speaking of which I still need to register at the hospital.

As far as lots of visitors go we tend to like our privacy and not tell anyone except my parents that we are even in labor. We typically let people find out by posting a picture of baby on facebook... after we get home. Keeps visitors to a minimum.

Last edited by Surrounded; January 15th, 2013 at 11:29 AM.
January 15th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Super Mommy
I didnt have any issues with DS. I did get TDAP vaccine while I was there because whopping cough has been so bad in our area.

Thank Kiliki for the siggy!!

January 15th, 2013, 12:18 PM
*BabyMaMa*'s Avatar Kimber MaMa to Leah
Yeah my hospital is doing this. It's becoming nationwide. It does suck, but I understand with the flu and RSV season being so bad. Hopefully I can facetime with my DD, but it will be hard.

Feb 2012
January 15th, 2013, 12:49 PM
JoyandNumberFive's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm going to have a hard time not seeing my kids for the couple days I'll be in the hospital but I understand that they're trying to do what they can to minimize the risks to the fragile newborns. I don't know if our hospital has this policy or not.

January 15th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Nyzira's Avatar Just call me Bam.
Send a message via AIM to Nyzira
Well, I checked with my OB and he said the signs just went up today that NO ONE with any symptom (sniffles, cough, sneeze, fever) is allowed. He said that I should call L&D and check if they'll make an exception for my daughter since she is a sibling and doesn't attend school or daycare.

EDIT: I should expand on that... the rule is, it doesn't matter how old you are, if you show symptoms, you're not allowed. If you're not family or you're under 12, you're not allowed. If you're a sibling and under 4, you're not allowed in L&D rooms.

Last edited by Nyzira; January 15th, 2013 at 02:47 PM.
January 15th, 2013, 03:35 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh wow. That would suck! I have no idea if my hospital has this policy or not. I mean we are in our own room at the hospital and the newborns never leave our sides so I don't see why they would do this....

January 15th, 2013, 04:15 PM
artisticmind's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As of now our hospital is not doing this though they have the extra hand sanitizers on poles, boxes of masks, and courtesy signs up saying if you exhibit signs of illness such as fever/cough/sneezing etc not to visit the hospital in general but that is like telling someone to use their turn signal every time they turn a corner. It doesn't happen.

Our NICU is also "cordoned" off, when there's babies in there and staff you have to be buzzed in but the nurses have no way of knowing if you're a walking sick-bug because they don't take temps and check for signs of illness on every person that walks off the elevator and it's just not possible.

It's also hard to determine what "sick" is. By watching me you'd probably say i'm sick. I've had the lovely pregnancy congestion since June or July so i'm constantly sniffling my nose or blowing it trying to clear the congestion out and if the congestion isn't flaring up at that particular minute I've got a post-nasal drip that irritates my throat and makes me cough. I have no fever, my white blood cells are not elevated, when i blow my nose it is clear mucus- it's all pregnancy related. As soon as I deliver this little girl within a couple of weeks both will clear up, I had both with Riley and after delivery they went away.

As for time off for sick health care professionals, I can't answer that for another 6-8 months until I have a job. One of our other resident nurses will have to answer that one, but i'm guessing it's not many, if any, extra sick days.

Baby Girl expected 2.12.13!

Annie :wife to JJ and mommy to Riley
missing our Feb. 2012
January 15th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Of course, it would suck if my girls couldn't come and meet their new brother in the hospital. But, it would be worse if all 3 of my kids got the flu because they were visiting me and picked up a bug.

To answer the question about medical staff having extra time off for being sick; where I worked, you earned PTO. If you were sick, and you had pto, it got used for it. If you were sick and you didn't have pto, you didn't get paid for it.

Also, having worked in L&D, I would hate to be the person having to enforce these rules. I had to enforce just regular visiting rules and this extra stuff would be horrible. I've been screamed at, given dirty looks, have been completely ignored, had to call security, etc. People can be down right mean and rude. So, remember, when encountering the person doing the enforcement, they're just doing what they are told. They didn't make the rules.

I just called my hospital and as of yesterday, no one under the age of 18 is allowed in Labor and Delivery. Children that are siblings only can visit once mom and baby are moved to post partum.
JoyandNumberFive likes this.

Last edited by AmyLM; January 15th, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
January 16th, 2013, 05:19 AM
tryn1998's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelmommy View Post
I just checked with the hospital and L&D and we don't currently have any such restrictions on children being there. Of course we are in Florida and it has been beautiful and warm here and not to many cases of flu going around
I'm hoping that is the case with my hospital too since we're also in Florida!
Rebelmommy likes this.
January 16th, 2013, 02:15 PM
martilynne's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know that sibling are normally allowed to visit and are the only children allowed in the maternity ward. I haven't checked to see if they are making restrictions because of the flu. I will probably be a little disappointed if Jax can't visit but it's not the end of the world.

January 16th, 2013, 02:31 PM
artisticmind's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymustard View Post
Oh wow. That would suck! I have no idea if my hospital has this policy or not. I mean we are in our own room at the hospital and the newborns never leave our sides so I don't see why they would do this....

One reason that just hit me today thanks to a 2-week-old infant being admitted to the Pediatric floor with confirmed RSV & Influenza B is because say your kiddo is starting to get sick with the flu or something else but not showing any outward signs and are in the contagious stage. They come and visit you, you let them hold the baby (meaning whatever germs they're sloughing off via their skin or breathing are now transferred on to baby and their clothes/blanket/bassinet). Now the nurse comes in to do a routine vital check on the baby and either holds the baby or picks them up to arrange them in the bassinet to listen to their lungs/heart etc. Now baby has transferred any germs to the nurse (who received her flu shot and has been lucky enough not to pick it up anyway) and her clothing and she's in the middle of doing rounds and has 3 more newborns to visit and in the process, transfers the germs to them.

Any germs are going to hit newborns faster because they have such an undeveloped immune system and they may be discharged and home 24 hours later before the sickness becomes evident.

Normally, because of that age (2 weeks), that kiddo should have been admitted to our NICU but because the baby is sick with 2 very contagious illnesses, even with staff wearing the plastic gowns over their scrubs and gloves/masks and hand-washing the possibility of them picking up the sloughed off germs and transferring them to other healthy kiddos on the maternity floor or other already sick kiddos in the NICU is too much of a risk. So the baby was admitted to a room on the Peds floor and those precautions are still in place (gowns/masks/gloves) but the other patients on the floor are going to be older in age and should have better immune systems than a newborn.

Not saying that banning everyone because of their age is a good or a bad policy but when you look at like that the hospital has to cover their own backside and think about the "what if's."
Nyzira, AmyLM, kikismith and 1 others like this.

Baby Girl expected 2.12.13!

Annie :wife to JJ and mommy to Riley
missing our Feb. 2012
January 16th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Veteran
Oh dear I hope they're not doing this at my hospital, we're supposed to go on our tour tonight and bringing DD - when I scheduled the appointment I called ahead to confirm kids were welcome, but of course they could have changed things in the interim due to flu. Googled my hospital and flu and found no mention, and my OB's office didn't say anything about it yesterday, just had a sign on the door that if you were having flu-like symptoms they'd like you to reschedule your appointment. Hopefully they'd have posted something similar about the hospital if it were the case there...

I've been a bit nervous about our tour tonight as it is as DD has had the sniffles for a few days (no other symptoms and I think she's turned a corner, but still I'd worry with pregnant women and babies). I will gel her hands before we go in and be upfront about it, try to keep her away from people/touching things, but if they said she couldn't come then I think she and DH would have to wait in the car while I did the tour on my own...the next available one is in almost 6 weeks, 2 days before my due date.
January 17th, 2013, 01:14 PM
ProjectMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well at my appointment today I found out that the restriction is going to be carried out throughout the remainder of the flu season - so no chance of it being lifted before I give birth. I'm still bummed but at least I know ahead of time and I'm not finding out after I have him and have Norah in the waiting room and me thinking she's going to be allowed in. Now I have a little bit to start envisioning a home meeting.

BUT the hospital is also saying that if the mom is having any flu symptoms at all that she is not allowed to touch the baby and the baby goes to the nursery (which is not a typical nursery because at my hospital the baby stays with the mom the entire time) until after she's had a few rounds of antibiotics and been cleared by a doctor. If you are nursing you must pump and have someone that is "well" feed it to them. Has anyone ever heard of that? I know that it is perfectly fine to nurse while sick because you are passing off your antibodies, granted I know newborns are more at risk.
January 17th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Veteran
"BUT the hospital is also saying that if the mom is having any flu symptoms at all that she is not allowed to touch the baby and the baby goes to the nursery (which is not a typical nursery because at my hospital the baby stays with the mom the entire time) until after she's had a few rounds of antibiotics and been cleared by a doctor. If you are nursing you must pump and have someone that is "well" feed it to them. Has anyone ever heard of that? I know that it is perfectly fine to nurse while sick because you are passing off your antibodies, granted I know newborns are more at risk. "

Ok- I am not ok with this. If you have signs of the flu when you come in your baby is already exposed to it because it is in your belly. This is just cruel to restrict a new mom to her baby. I mean where do you draw the line. I can see if you are passing out vommitting, you prolly can't care for a baby but what constitutes as a sign? What if you have a slight fever or cough? If this happened to me, I would seriously be the crazy lady on the news who is caught stealing a baby (MY BABY) out of the nursery.
MountainMomma likes this.
January 17th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassalota View Post
"BUT the hospital is also saying that if the mom is having any flu symptoms at all that she is not allowed to touch the baby and the baby goes to the nursery (which is not a typical nursery because at my hospital the baby stays with the mom the entire time) until after she's had a few rounds of antibiotics and been cleared by a doctor. If you are nursing you must pump and have someone that is "well" feed it to them. Has anyone ever heard of that? I know that it is perfectly fine to nurse while sick because you are passing off your antibodies, granted I know newborns are more at risk. "

Ok- I am not ok with this. If you have signs of the flu when you come in your baby is already exposed to it because it is in your belly. This is just cruel to restrict a new mom to her baby. I mean where do you draw the line. I can see if you are passing out vommitting, you prolly can't care for a baby but what constitutes as a sign? What if you have a slight fever or cough? If this happened to me, I would seriously be the crazy lady on the news who is caught stealing a baby (MY BABY) out of the nursery.

I have a couple of problems with this. It doesn't make any sense. At all. I could see them isolating a mom and her baby, meaning you two can't leave the room and everyone that comes in has to gown, mask and glove up. But, they cannot take your baby away from you without a court order. Also, antibiotics don't do a **** thing for the flu. I would definitely be joining sassalota on the news grabbing my baby and making a HUGE scene.

January 17th, 2013, 03:14 PM
ProjectMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thankfully I'm pretty low risk for catching the flu (got the shot, had the flu and I'm a SAHM with a toddler who isn't in any sort of child care) but I agree, if they tried to separate us they'd be wishing they hadn't.
January 17th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Veteran
Oh my goodness, that is crazy about separating the mom and baby! Making a recommendation, maybe...making a strong recommendation if the mom is very ill...but...this sounds like a liability nightmare for them, if nothing else, I don't understand how/why their legal dept would be ok with this...

Went on my hopsital tour last night with DD and no one brought up flu, talked about kids coming, the only restrictions were if any kids or adults were sick they'd ask them not to come, and kids under 10 couldn't go into the nicu. We are not in a low-risk flu state either.
January 17th, 2013, 05:34 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMama View Post
Well at my appointment today I found out that the restriction is going to be carried out throughout the remainder of the flu season - so no chance of it being lifted before I give birth. I'm still bummed but at least I know ahead of time and I'm not finding out after I have him and have Norah in the waiting room and me thinking she's going to be allowed in. Now I have a little bit to start envisioning a home meeting.

BUT the hospital is also saying that if the mom is having any flu symptoms at all that she is not allowed to touch the baby and the baby goes to the nursery (which is not a typical nursery because at my hospital the baby stays with the mom the entire time) until after she's had a few rounds of antibiotics and been cleared by a doctor. If you are nursing you must pump and have someone that is "well" feed it to them. Has anyone ever heard of that? I know that it is perfectly fine to nurse while sick because you are passing off your antibodies, granted I know newborns are more at risk.
Oh helllllllllll no! Someone would really regret trying to separate my newborn from me! I can see not allowing children as visitors but they have no right to take a newborn from their mother.
MountainMomma and AmyLM like this.

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
January 20th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Born2BeAmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're in Idaho and our hospital isn't doing this. I had to go to L&D for some bleeding this last week. I asked. They did say that no one under the age of 18 can go to NICU right now because it's RSV season, but other than that they all looked at me like I was crazy when I asked told them hospitals weren't allowing anyone under 18 in L&D.

As for the separation of mom and baby. That wouldn't work with me.

Cold and flu season stinks.

Kristy: mom to 5 beautiful daughters with daughter #6 on the way and the author of the Ice Moon Series www.icemoonseries.com
www.kristyquinn.net

I Blog http://happyhomemakingwithkristy.blogspot.com/
http://raisinggodlydaughters-kristy.blogspot.com/

January 20th, 2013, 07:37 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would be pissed if they wouldn't let me see my newborn. I guess this is one of the reasons homebirth or birth centers appeal to some people; they are more family oriented among other reasons of course.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search