FLU Season mandate - no kids

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree34Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2013, 02:19 AM
Regular
Is anyone else's hospital saying per the CDC no child under the age of 18 is allowed at the hospital unless they are a patient? To include visiting a newborn sibling? This is very frustrating! I wonder why it is that they think a 15 year old has a greater risk of having the Flu than a 30 year old. They should change the rule to "unless they have recieved thier flu shot, and have a note from thier GP stating they have no Flu like symptoms". But there is no loop-hole, just a flat rule. No kids. Anywhere in the hospital, not just Labor and Delivery. They are not allowed to visit at all.
January 15th, 2013, 04:43 AM
ProjectMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes If they don't let DD in I'll probably throw a bit of a hormonal fit. They can give her a mask and cover her head with a blanket until she's in my room for all I care.
January 15th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Mom2twolittlemen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2twolittlemen Send a message via MSN to Mom2twolittlemen
Yes. But in actually ok with it. My four year old and one year old can wait to meet the new baby when we get home. They are finding the flu shot is not covering a lot of the influenza outbreaks at this time. So it may actually reduce your child's risk of picking something up while he:she is there visiting. Hugs I'm sorry
kikismith likes this.

January 15th, 2013, 06:16 AM
CptStargel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That stinks, but I see the point. I am hoping to get in and out of the hospital as fast as possible with this delivery so hopefully it won't affect us.
kikismith likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my amazing siggy!!!

January 15th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Think of it this way, some moms dont care and will bring in a sick child into the hospital and yes even into the mother baby unit!! I've seen it done before, it is a disgrace. Would you like children that are touching everything that DO have the flu running around where your newborn is staying?! Would you not be incredibly upset if your newborn got the flu just a few hours/days after birth because of someone's ignorance?

I think it is OK, to wait for our other children to meet there baby sister UNTIL we get home from the hospital. Please keep in mind that there are premie babies, and babies that need all the help they can get in the nursery and I think its very selfish to get upset because you can not bring in your own children, even if they are healthy. It is too hard to screen every child before they enter the unit.

A day or two of bonding with your new baby in a HEALTHY environment is much more important than having the siblings meet there new baby brother/sister immediately. The flu can kill.

January 15th, 2013, 07:22 AM
disturbedangel121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to disturbedangel121 Send a message via MSN to disturbedangel121 Send a message via Yahoo to disturbedangel121
I haven't heard anything of it yet. I'm sure the last hospital I delivered at is doing this but idk about the one I will be delivering at this time. My baby however will not be going to the nursery so I'm not all that bothered. Although we have all been "healthy" for months now watch as soon as Jacob is ready we will get something in my house.

January 15th, 2013, 08:02 AM
1st time mom
I might feel differently about this if I had my own children that I wanted with me at the hospital.. But I don't have kids yet and when my baby girl gets here I will be glad that other moms won't be bringing their babies in with them to visit. Sick or not, kids touch things they shouldn't touch and I don't want them to come in expecting to hold or touch my baby girl when she's fresh in the world.
January 15th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Rebelmommy's Avatar Mommy to controlled chaos
I have to check on this at my hospital as I was told specifically that it was OK for my children to be in L&D with me. I have no child care for them when i deliver so if they can't come than neither can DH because he would have to stay with them I hope that this is not the case..
Talon
(12/05/05) Creighton (01/31/13) (05/02/14)

January 15th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Mommytoeight2013's Avatar Super Mommy
Im not sure about the hospital I am going to. I know the flu is going around super bad here so they might.
January 15th, 2013, 08:40 AM
I honestly do see the reasoning and concern but it still makes my hormonal self upset. At my hospital your baby doesn't leave your room (they do not go into a nursery, the pedi comes to you and they get a bath in your room and so on) so he wouldn't be in the hallway (unless of course he needed to be transferred to the NICU).

I guess I don't see why it's any different than a grandparent coming in - adults are able to act like they are not sick, at least kids make it pretty obvious. Plus adults are a lot more likely to be touching things that other's will (I know my 19 month old wouldn't be touching door handles that she can't even reach). Some other baby's grandparent could bring in an illness just as easily as a child under 18. It's not like adults are immune from being sick.

Our NICU is completely separate than Mother/Baby are and they have a permanent rule that no children healthy or not under 12 can visit the NICU ever and I very much agree and understand that. Maybe it's because it's a level 3?
January 15th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Nyzira's Avatar Just call me Bam.
Send a message via AIM to Nyzira
I'm going to have to check on this today. I understand the point and I also understand the annoyance with it. Last I had seen, the rule at my hospital was no children under 4 in the rooms during RSV season, but this was before the flu was deemed an epidemic by the CDC.

January 15th, 2013, 08:59 AM
MommyKent910's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have to admit I will be so upset and angry if Hayden cant meet his brother first. Its been the plan from day one for daddy and Hayden to meet baby Jaxon first and I will be heartbroken if he cant. That being said, I havent heard that our hospital is doing this. now Im so worried, Ill be leaving that hospital asap if they dont let DS in.
ProjectMama likes this.
January 15th, 2013, 09:03 AM
calijk's Avatar First Time Mommy!
Not currently at my hospital but it may be a good idea..but i mean adults can be just as bad! trust me i have patients who have awful habits when they are sick!
ProjectMama likes this.
January 15th, 2013, 09:14 AM
pinkpopsicles's Avatar Super Mommy
When I was in L&D a few weeks ago overnight there was a nurse that was hacking away like crazy--I mean, it was BAD. I know the flu takes a while to clear up but what do the doctors and nurses do when they're sick? Do they get extra time off so as to avoid spreading it to patients? I'm honestly more worried about my LO catching the flu from an adult in the hospital than from someone else's kid.

I don't know if my kids will come or not. If I have an easy delivery and can come home right away we'll probably just wait for an "at home" introduction and if baby has to stay a few days for whatever reason they probably won't let the kids see her anyway (even non-flu season).

January 15th, 2013, 09:28 AM
tryn1998's Avatar Veteran
I honestly don't know what the hospital I'm delivering at says about that just yet. It would suck big time if they can't meet their baby brother til we get home because it leaves me in the hospital with absolutely NO visitors since DH would also have to be with our kids during the day It makes having a new baby very depressing when you are all alone.
Rebelmommy likes this.
January 15th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with all of you that adults can be worse then children. In my opinion I dont really like too many visitors when I am working on the mother baby unit. Some people dont realize how fragile a newborn baby is and you are right will cough etc in the room while visiting the new mom and baby, ugh makes me so mad.

I think (i know a lot of ladies wont like this) but if there are no kids allowed then adult visitors should be limited to like 1-2 in a room during a high flu epidemic. And those adults should wash there hands, put on a mask. Maybe im jaded working as an RN, but the things i've seen, oh boy.

January 15th, 2013, 10:12 AM
stephanieaehenley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Skype™ to stephanieaehenley
i havent heard about this but now i will check into it , cause i really want my little guy to meet his sister right away
January 15th, 2013, 10:29 AM
I got confirmation from the hospital that they aren't letting anyone under 18 in. I'm hoping it gets lifted before I go into labor and if it isn't I'll be pushing to get discharged ASAP.
January 15th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Rebelmommy's Avatar Mommy to controlled chaos
I just checked with the hospital and L&D and we don't currently have any such restrictions on children being there. Of course we are in Florida and it has been beautiful and warm here and not to many cases of flu going around
Talon
(12/05/05) Creighton (01/31/13) (05/02/14)

January 15th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Veteran
I didn't check because I'm a first timer here. My only other kids are dogs, and well that is a no brainer. This is actually a great debating topic. Both sides have valid points.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search