Birth plans

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By rosiewells
  • 1 Post By tryn1998
  • 3 Post By chickadee
  • 1 Post By fidelis18

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2013, 07:11 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Share your birth plans here if you've created one!

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
January 20th, 2013, 02:50 AM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
Ive not created one, none of my birth plans get followed, with ds i wanted a natural waterbirth, i got there at 7cm but was progressing too fast so they wouldnt let me have one :-( and i was refused any kind of pain relief, so im not getting my hopes up this time, although i really would love a waterbirth.

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (31)
together for 10.5 years married for 4.5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

January 20th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have started creating one, but I haven't finished. It all sounds so concrete, and rigid every time I go back to it to finish it. I don't want to place too many expectations on my birth experience, and then feel let down afterwards. I am not sure if I will finish it. I think I will just make a few "wishes" be known to my husband, and then call it good. As long as me and baby are healthy afterwards then we were successful.
Hokie Nicole and Mama2Angels like this.
January 20th, 2013, 09:20 AM
tryn1998's Avatar Veteran
I don't really have one. I'll refuse the epidural if I can handle it and ask that my water not be broken for as long as possible. All of my birth experiences have been completely different so I'm not expecting much, I would like to go natural if at all possible.
birdblue likes this.
January 20th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't have one and won't be making one. The entirety of my reproductive experience has been different than most people's, and I long ago stopped hoping that it could be "normal" or uncomplicated. I want a healthy baby at the end of this, and that's my primary concern. My secondary concerns are either a) policies my hospital already has in place (for instance, in regards to immediate skin to skin time), or b) things I can't expect to control given the level of medical intervention this birth will involve. I refuse to have more expectations and be disappointed by aspects of this baby's birth when really, I am just so incredibly blessed to be having a baby at all.

January 20th, 2013, 11:41 AM
calijk's Avatar First Time Mommy!
I dont really have one..Im still waiting to see if im gonna have to have a c-sect or not. Guess I will just be going with the flow and seeing how all goes since this is my first time doing this!
January 20th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Veteran
I made one and it was specific and when I showed it to my doctor she was like, I will be there and you can talk to me. We ask you if you want the shots, or baby bathed or whatnot. It is not a prison. So then I felt silly and didn't turn it in.

I guess my hospital is not as strict with some stuff as others.
January 20th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassalota View Post
I made one and it was specific and when I showed it to my doctor she was like, I will be there and you can talk to me. We ask you if you want the shots, or baby bathed or whatnot. It is not a prison. So then I felt silly and didn't turn it in.

I guess my hospital is not as strict with some stuff as others.
Don't feel silly. I know with DD1 they said that once you get to the hospital you just need to let the nursing staff know what your wishes are then they'll follow your plan. And it is important to discuss it with your doctor, but honestly, they'll probably forget till they have you there actually birthing.

I'm having a c-section so everything is planned out for me!
January 20th, 2013, 01:59 PM
MommyKent910's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dont have a written birth plan but I am much more aware of the effects of certain medicines on my body from my first birth experience. I am going to go with the flow but DH knows what I want and I except him to help me if Im having trouble conveying what I want and dont want.
January 20th, 2013, 09:13 PM
artisticmind's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
no birth plan here other than going with the flow. If i feel like i need pain relief I'll ask, otherwise I plan to make it as far as I can without. My only real request I wrote down on the pre-registration sheet was that I give her a bath, we'll do it the same way as Riley. I held him in the tub and daddy helped scrub and rinse him off then he got to take him and bond with him while i took my shower.

Baby Girl expected 2.12.13!

Annie :wife to JJ and mommy to Riley
missing our Feb. 2012
January 20th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
No birth plan. Whatever I want or don't want, I will let them know as things happen. I always let them know ahead of time that baby is not to get the hep b vax. Otherwise I go with the flow.

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
January 21st, 2013, 06:10 AM
Mommytoeight2013's Avatar Super Mommy
I usually just go with the flow. The only thing I dont want forced on me is pitocin unless its totally medically necessary.

January 21st, 2013, 06:16 AM
Veteran
I.don't have one.either. plan on going with the flow. Waiting another ultrasound to find out if they are going to schedule a c-section or not.
January 21st, 2013, 06:34 AM
JoyandNumberFive's Avatar Super Mommy
I have some notes I typed in word real quick. I wasn't happy with the premade birth plans I saw online. Here is what I wrote:

Things that are important to me during labor:

*that I'm not offered pain medication unless I ask
*that there are no interventions performed, including water breaking, unless it's necessary for my health or the health of my baby
*I prefer the delivery process not be rushed in any way unless there is a threat to my health or the healthy of the baby

Things that are important to me after the delivery of the baby:
*I'd like the baby to remain attached to the cord until it stops pulsing
*I'd like to see the placenta before it's discarded
*I don't want my baby given any pacifiers or formula
*I want to be with my baby at all times

The reason I decided to make a short list this time is because you aren't always in a position to advocate for what you want in the vulnerable state of being in labor or just having a baby. My husband knows that these things are important to me too so he can help me get what I want. My labor and delivery with baby #4 would have been absolutely perfect if the doctor hadn't been trying to rush through the delivery so that's something I want to make sure never happens again.

January 21st, 2013, 08:39 AM
terryterry's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't have a written out birth plan, but my medical practice has a general form that you bring with you to the hospital that asks you to check boxes for the things you want. Things like:
During labor, if I need to have an IV, I would prefer to have a saline lock.
I would prefer that the amniotic membranes rupture naturally.
If the baby must be taken from my room to receive medical treatment, I would like ________ to accompany the baby.

I like it because it's simple and flexible, and since it's their normal form, the nurses and midwives all know quickly where in the form to look for the information they need.
January 21st, 2013, 08:56 AM
mistletoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a list of various preferences for the birth, and then I found out that most of them are common procedure at the hospital. (Range of laboring relief measures, different delivery positions, immediate skin-to-skin contact/nursing, in-room baby boarding, no constant infant monitoring during labor.) So, that cuts down on my list significantly.

The hospital gives us a birth plan form to fill out with a few additional preferences, so I'll fill that out. Mostly, I want the doctor/nurses to explain what they are proposing for any medical intervention. Since he'll be more likely to be able to respond in the heat of the moment, DH is aware of what I would prefer not to have. The biggest point is that my desire for a lack of (pain or labor-speeding) medicine is not about a principle for me, but my own reaction to it (tends not to be good) and how it might affect my recovery.

So, check marks to the hospital standard birth plan form:

I would prefer NOT to have an episiotomy unless absolutely necessary. (And I talked with my doctor about when he would propose to do this.)

I am planning on breastfeeding my baby. (It's a super, pro-breastfeeding hospital and I plan on using all of the lactation consulting they offer.)

And I am adding as "important to me" at the end of their form -- all of which can be read with "unless deemed medically necessary for the immediate health of the baby or mother":

-No IV fluids or IV shunt. (My veins are so easy to access, even dehydrated a tech on his first day could put an IV in me, should an emergency come up. The doc said this was fine since I don't need IV antibiotics having tested negative for Bstrep.)

-Explain to me (or my husband) medical interventions that you would suggest and why, though I recognize that in an emergency situation this may not be possible.

So these are my preferences, we shall see what labor and delivery brings...

Last edited by mistletoe; January 21st, 2013 at 08:58 AM.
January 21st, 2013, 12:32 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had one typed up for my daughter and I plan to have a similar one. Some of the things I include are

NO episiotomy unless medically necessary. I would like to tear on my own if its going to happen.

I do not want my water broken until I'm close to fully dilated.

I want baby placed on me right afterwards.

No pacifiers or bottles (even water/sugar water) as I will be breastfeeding.

If baby has to leave room for any reason, my husband will accompany her.

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
January 22nd, 2013, 10:21 AM
Hokie Nicole's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't have one... I have a few ideas that I might share with the staff when asked but not planning to have any hard and fast rules.
January 22nd, 2013, 06:45 PM
Super Mommy
Birth Plan

Mother: Sarah Morrissey
Father: Corey Morrissey
Due Date: February 5, 2013
OB/Gyn: Dr. Blake Berryhill
Hospital: Memorial Hermann The Woodlands

Environment: Dim lights
Music or Television

Labor:
Mobility:
Maintain mobility (ability to walk around as desired)
No IV
By Mouth:
Small snacks
Lollipops
Fluids- non soda
Support: Corey, the whole time
Fetal Monitor: Intermittent/Mobile
Pain Relief: None- Please do not offer. Local anesthetic to repair any possible tearing is just fine
Breaking Water: Not until I am 8cm dilated
Episiotomy: NO
Pushing: Instinctive
Progression: No Pitocin or stringent time limits.

Birth: Sitting in bed

Delivery: Corey would like to cut the cord
Please try to immediately lay Margaret on my chest/abdomen

Baby Care: I will solely breastfeed
-no bottles at all
We would like for Margaret to room in
-no nursery
No Hepatitis B Vaccine is to be given
No Vitamin K injection.
Delay all newborn procedures until after I hold and nurse her.
Corey or I must be present for anything done to our child.

Medical Intervention: I do not want an episiotomy, induction, or a cesarean.
I do not want forceps or vacuum extraction used.

Trauma/Illness:
Should something happen I would like to continue nursing.
We would like for Corey to be able to remain with Margaret at all times and unlimited visitation and handling of our daughter. If, for some reason, Margaret must be taken to another facility, we would like for Corey to accompany him and for me to be moved as soon as possible.

Emergency: In the even of an emergency and a C-section must occur I would like to remain conscious and for
Corey to stay with me. I still want her laid on my chest immediately for bonding and nursing.

That is my birth plan. I go over it with my dr at a later appt. Since I am switching drs I'll go over it with him Thursday. I mainly like to have a copy of it for the nurses. I find just letting my dr know how I feel about things goes a long way but the nurses don't know me and I don't know them. With my first I had fantastic nurses that just wanted to know how high I would like them to jump. They were extremely fabulous. With my second I had a terrible nurse that I just wanted to go away and leave me alone. The plan helped alot since she was pushy and having everything written out helped hubby keep on track with everything also. It prevented him from being swayed by his worry for me since I said no pain meds and the nurse thought they were a fabulous idea.
January 24th, 2013, 04:42 PM
fidelis18's Avatar Due March 3, 2013
My birth plan is simple...go with the flow lol.
Mama2Angels likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search