How to dress baby?

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JoyandNumberFive
  • 1 Post By eiramillek

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2013, 04:03 AM
Hey ladies, so since I'm a first time mom o have lots of questions that may be obvious to most of you by now. I had my shower yesterday, which was really lovely, lots of games and not TOO much gift opening. But it has had me up all night thinking of hundreds of questions about the items that we got, and what we still need.
Mostly, I'm confused about her clothing. I received a whole bunch of short sleeves, button/snap under the crotch, leg less onesies (which I think are called undershirts as well). I also received a bunch of PJs with long sleeves and feet but nothing smaller than a 3 month. My questions are:

Do you dress your baby in a onesie and a pj usually? (In a cold climate and season)
Should I buy some smaller pjs for the first few weeks/months? Who knows when she'll fit into the 3 month ones.
What other types of outfits are convenient, but cute? And would you always put a onesie on underneath?
Does your baby sleep in a pj or a sleep sack?
What do you think of the separate long sleeve onesie and pants outfits?
And finally, for any of you in cold climates, do you use that bag thing inside of your car seat to keep baby warm while out of the house? I've heard they can be unsafe. How do you keep little babies warm? Can they wear a snow suit at a month old?

Any and all answers and advice would be appreciated!!!
Thank you
January 21st, 2013, 04:11 AM
CptStargel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't live in a cold climate area like you, but it does get "cold" here for those of us used to the extremely hot summers and mild spring and fall. So I can't answer any of the cold weather stuff, but as far as ease and comfort I do dress baby in sleepers mostly for the first few months. I also swaddle at night and we only put a short sleeved onsie on underneath so she doesn't overheat. That will be different for you probably since you get colder than we do. I like onsies with pants occassionally because they make cuter outfits. Sizes are obviously different for every baby, but as a general rule in our house we have a lot of 0-3 month stuff because that's the size that lasted the longest with our first. We only have a few Newborn and then alot of 3 month stuff. My first was very tall and the onsies went fast after 3 months because they were too tight in the crotch and shoulders.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my amazing siggy!!!

January 21st, 2013, 06:32 AM
Nyzira's Avatar Just call me Bam.
Send a message via AIM to Nyzira
You want to dress in layers. Babies can't regulate their body temperature properly at first so they need to be able to be dressed accordingly. With my first, we swaddled for the first few weeks and had her dressed in onsies mostly. If she got too warm, we unswaddled, If she got too chilly in the onsie then we covered her back up. Once we stopped swaddling, we dressed her in pajamas the majority of the time. As for the carseat, you want to dress baby normally and cover with a blanket after buckling in. You don't want too much material between baby and the straps because that adds cushioning which is dangerous in an accident.

January 21st, 2013, 06:40 AM
JoyandNumberFive's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by First time mom in Montreal View Post
Hey ladies, so since I'm a first time mom o have lots of questions that may be obvious to most of you by now. I had my shower yesterday, which was really lovely, lots of games and not TOO much gift opening. But it has had me up all night thinking of hundreds of questions about the items that we got, and what we still need.
Mostly, I'm confused about her clothing. I received a whole bunch of short sleeves, button/snap under the crotch, leg less onesies (which I think are called undershirts as well). I also received a bunch of PJs with long sleeves and feet but nothing smaller than a 3 month. My questions are:

Do you dress your baby in a onesie and a pj usually? (In a cold climate and season)
Should I buy some smaller pjs for the first few weeks/months? Who knows when she'll fit into the 3 month ones.
What other types of outfits are convenient, but cute? And would you always put a onesie on underneath?
Does your baby sleep in a pj or a sleep sack?
What do you think of the separate long sleeve onesie and pants outfits?
And finally, for any of you in cold climates, do you use that bag thing inside of your car seat to keep baby warm while out of the house? I've heard they can be unsafe. How do you keep little babies warm? Can they wear a snow suit at a month old?

Any and all answers and advice would be appreciated!!!
Thank you
I usually dress my babies in a onesie and a zippered sleeper or gown when we're at home. Those are really easy for diaper changes and nice and warm.

Separate long sleeve onesie and pants outfits are good too...you may spend time tugging their shirt down (ETA duh...just realized you wouldn't be tugging a shirt down if it was a onesie. Just with pants and regular shirt outfits teehee ) but yeah...I use those too.

You can't use a snow suit in a car seat really ever...we still take my four year old's bulky coat off of hi to buckle him in. It's just too bulky. You can find a fleece jacket or suit-fleece is really thin and warm. Other things for keeping baby warm- warm up your car before you get baby in the car whenever possible, use mittens & hat, use blankets on top of the car seat but make sure they're not overbundled once your car is warmed up.

I hope that helps! You'll do great
AmyLM likes this.

Last edited by JoyandNumberFive; January 21st, 2013 at 07:43 AM.
January 21st, 2013, 07:30 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For the first month or two I dress in mostly sleepers or when we are at home, gowns. We swaddle at night here too. I hate onsies so I don't buy many of them. For some reason I find they make my cloth dipers wick when regular pants and sleepers don't.

January 21st, 2013, 07:53 AM
tryn1998's Avatar Veteran
I've always put a onesie on underneath of sleeper, but I've seen moms NOT do that. I don't live in a colder climate but I dress my baby during the day, and will likely do a lot cute onesies with newborn baby legs since it's typically pretty warm here. I'm one of the few people I know that actually don't leave my baby in a sleeper or gown for the first few weeks. I know it's pretty hard to find newborn and 0-3mos clothes in just a shirt and pants. Most of the outfits are onesies (short or long sleeve) with pants and sometimes a matching little jacket to go with it. Really, dress your baby how ever you want. Just keep in mind the weather and dress your baby how you would dress yourself. Just no big coats or anything - you wont likely find one that will fit a baby that small anyways. And yes, we swaddle at night.
January 21st, 2013, 08:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
This is my first cold weather newborn but with my other 2 I dressed them how I was dressed. One is a July baby and the other May so it was pretty warm here. But I had to consider hints like air conditioners at stores and people's homes. Same for the winter I guess...people and stores keep their homes warm so dress in layers. Bring blankets to cover baby. Baby sleeps with me so I don't dress too warmly at night. I like onesies but you will decide when you start using them. I don't care for gowns and prefer zippered sleepers. I tend to use newborn size clothes for a while because I have small babies. I would get a few Nb sizes just to start out.

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
January 21st, 2013, 08:59 AM
lisadlv's Avatar Veteran
My last midwife told me this as a rule of thumb. When getting you and baby dressed always put one more layer on baby than you are wearing. If yoiu get to warm and take off a layer take extra layer off baby. I don't know how well it would work in a colder climate but I thought it was a good suggestion. As for the onesies, I have always seemed to put one on under the sleepers and swaddle baby. During the first couple weeks i like to keep the baby in mostly sleepers and put an outfit on them to go to the doctors or families home. I have always been one of those people that dont like to go out in my pjs and have never let my kids out in them either.
January 21st, 2013, 09:01 AM
artisticmind's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto what the other ladies said. Riley was born March 1st, it snowed 2 days before he was born and was probably 20-30*F when we brought him home. For the most part I dressed him as I was dressed- if i was in pants, socks, and a shirt he was in a onesie, pants, and socks or a footed sleeper. I kept a hat or blanket near by to wrap him in if I thought he was cold. I don't remember ever double layering his clothes (like a onesie and then another shirt and pants on top mainly out of convenience for diaper changes but depending on how cold it actually gets up there you may have to.

Baby Girl expected 2.12.13!

Annie :wife to JJ and mommy to Riley
missing our Feb. 2012
January 21st, 2013, 10:57 AM
foosdiva's Avatar Expecting #2
We swaddle here too with a onsie underneath. For the first couple weeks, she'll probably just be in her pjs (button down or gown) during the day. I'm sure I'll dress her a few times if I can see straight from lack of sleep. We do layers also so it's easier to regulate her body temp.

I use a JJ Cole Bundle Me in her car seat. It works well b/c it's easy to take off if I think she's getting too hot. No snowsuits or coats in the car seat. It's a big no no b/c it could compress if you are in a car wreck and baby could fly out.

We only have a few NB outfits. They usually grow out of them pretty quick. If the 0-3 are too big, it won't be very long before they are growing out of them.
January 21st, 2013, 12:20 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do not use anything extra in your carseat! Blankets will keep baby plenty warm. Babies also should not be wearing snow suits in their carseat. It is very unsafe. Plus, babies can overheat very quickly in the car. You can buy things to go over top of the carseat to block out the cold and wind.

I always dressed Lily is onesies and pants. For sleepers, I used those footed pajamas to keep her warm. For Clara, I've bought long sleeved onesies and pant outfits. When we have to go out, I plan to cover her in a thick blanket to keep her warm and probably put another blanket over top of the carseat until we get to the car or inside.

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
January 21st, 2013, 12:26 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosdiva View Post

I use a JJ Cole Bundle Me in her car seat. It works well b/c it's easy to take off if I think she's getting too hot. No snowsuits or coats in the car seat. It's a big no no b/c it could compress if you are in a car wreck and baby could fly out.
The Bundle Me's aren't safe for the carseat either. I posted a thread not too long ago about carseats with a link in there on why they aren't safe.
AmyLM likes this.

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search