Formula feeding/ breast feeding question

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By LuckyOne
  • 1 Post By JoyandNumberFive
  • 1 Post By eiramillek
  • 1 Post By disturbedangel121

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2013, 06:03 AM
disturbedangel121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to disturbedangel121 Send a message via MSN to disturbedangel121 Send a message via Yahoo to disturbedangel121
So this whole pregnancy I have been dead set on formula feeding. I work overnights so usually from about 6-7pm to 8am I would not really have time for bfing or pumping. Now I am really considering BFing for the first couple of weeks until I go back to work and then after that just in the day time and on my nights off. Do you think that would be too confusing for baby? I'm just thinking of all the benefits of it and think it may be worth it but I'm afraid of him wanting nothing to do with formula once I go back to work.. Should I just stick with formula feeding?

January 24th, 2013, 06:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I believe some women supplement so your baby should be OK. I've only exclusively breastfed but from what I've read around the forum here I think it's completely possible. Hopefully, one of the moms here has experience with that.
Rebelmommy likes this.
January 24th, 2013, 07:14 AM
JoyandNumberFive's Avatar Super Mommy
I would try to do some BFing if it were me. If the baby doesn't like going back and forth then you can stop and just FF and no harm done.

I supplemented baby #2 between breast and bottle and he transitioned fine.

Baby #4 never ever wanted a bottle and I had to have surgery when he was six weeks old so that night I was in the hospital I'm not sure how my husband managed. I had pumped milk in a bottle but I'm not sure he ate much If you give a bottle here and there from the get go though I would think the baby would be used to it.
Rebelmommy likes this.

January 24th, 2013, 07:30 AM
pinkpopsicles's Avatar Super Mommy
My second didn't nurse until she was a month old--or maybe a little longer. She was just so sick and it was always easier to get her to take her milk from a bottle. It was all bm though with some formula mixed in when I was getting too tired. That being said some go back and forth quite easily from the getgo--she had no trouble whatsoever. No confusion.
The only thing I would think might be a problem is not pumping at all during your shift only being a few weeks into bf-ing. The lactation consultant at the hospital I'm sure would be more than happy to work out a schedule with you that you could manage easily though if you didn't have time to pump during your shift. I'd use them as a resource!

January 24th, 2013, 09:06 AM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Every little bit of BM helps! If you're worried about him not liking formula, maybe you can supplement right from the beginning and do a mix of both. Just remember, breastfeeding is all about supply and demand.
AmyLM likes this.

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
January 24th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Nyzira's Avatar Just call me Bam.
Send a message via AIM to Nyzira
I can't really offer much advice because I've never breastfed. I'm a straight formula feeder from the start... however if you're worried about nipple confusion I know they sell bottle nipples that are more shaped like a natural nipple to help really cut down on that. And as has been mentioned, definitely talk to your hospital's lactation consultant.

January 24th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
As a breastfeeding mom, I want to encourage you to bf, even if it's only for a short time. BM has so many benefits, even if it's for a few weeks.

I would try pumping and mixing with formula and then as you got closer to your return to work date, gradually increase the amount of formula you're mixing with bm until it's all formula. OR, pump a lot and save it so you have a good frozen supply of bm to continue mixing with formula.

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
January 24th, 2013, 11:30 AM
BB4CaLs's Avatar ~Brycen's Mommy~
A lot of people try breast feeding and later switch to formula for various reasons. I would recommend trying it. I don't think nipple confusion is a reason not to do it because all babies are different. I also work nights and find much more time to pump during the night than if I were to work days. My first son refused to take a bottle when I went back to work but it only took him a couple times to get use to it then he slept through the night and never needed to take a bottle while I was at work. Bennett is 10 weeks old and just learned how to drink a bottle and does fine transitioning back and forth. Whatever you want to do, just be comfortable in your decision.

Callie (26) Dan (25) parents to Brycen Cade (March 6, 2011) and Bennett Reis, born 28 weeks 4 days (November 16, 2012)

January 24th, 2013, 01:58 PM
disturbedangel121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to disturbedangel121 Send a message via MSN to disturbedangel121 Send a message via Yahoo to disturbedangel121
Thanks for all of the advice! I'm going to think on it some more and talk to my doctor about it next week.
Nyzira likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search