Moms who have formula fed: constipation help

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sassalota

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 30th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Nugget0612's Avatar First time Mommy
I need some help...Annabella is not pooping well at all. When she was born they had her on similac sensitive fussiness and gas to supplement then some nurse brought us similac advanced and we fed her that but then changed it back. When we got home we bought a can of similac sensitive and she ate it fine and was pooping 4-5 times a day everyday. We ran out and had 2 cans of similac advanced that were free samples so we thought we would try that. Well she stopped pooping so that lasted only a day. We bought more similac sensitive and she still isn't pooping. Has had two bowel movements since Monday. Both were giant poops and green and smooshy so that was good but now it's been almost 36 hours since her last movement. She's nonstop grunting and fussy. My doc is out on Wednesday and I don't know if this is normal (she's always grunted instead of cried since born) last night we even tried a qtip and Vaseline and inserted just the tip and swirled it but it didn't work. Hubby left work to go buy a new formula nestle good start or something. How much should a formula fed 11 day old baby poop? Anyone have any experiences???

Oh, and she is peeing very well...has a wet diaper every couple hours and is very gassy...she farts all the time...i just dont know whats normal or not....and am desperate...i dont want my baby in any pain

Last edited by Nugget0612; January 30th, 2013 at 09:23 AM.
January 30th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Veteran
I used to work for WIC as a nutritionist so this is my area of expertise.

1) I know you probably know this but not good to switch formula back and forth. Similac Sensitive helps with lactose sensitivity and Similic advanced doesn't so to do back and forth like that is going to make it really bad. If you ever need to switch in the future mix the two together for a few days first and ween onto the new formula slower. So for now-just stick to one kind of formula unless your doctor determines that she needs a special one or soy. Usually if you call the doc with this problem that is what they will recommend. Personally, I wouldn't do soy ever but that is a whole other issue.

2) Try some natural stuff first: tummy time. Get her on her tummy and let her wiggle around, even if she is grunting. It can work out gas bubbles. Move her legs and try infant massage that can get gas bubbles working too.

3) Formula fed babies poop differently than breastfed. Some only poop once a day and it is a huge blowout and then they are done and some do every other day or whatnot. You only need to be concerned when the amount of time doesn't match the amount of poo. So like if she goes 2 days and then has a poo and it is tiny and hard....that would be constipation. Formula is just super hard on babies guts and sometimes it takes a few days to get the gut accepting the changes.

4) Chiropractic adjustments work wonders on new babies too as they have been squished for months.

5) It is too early to do any sort of extra water of juice or anything. Some docs recommend it to get them over constipation but I would say not a good idea. Babies gut is really sensitive right now.

Good start is a cows milk based formula that would have a little different protein ratio (casein/whey) than similac and it is a fine formula but since you started with similac sensitive, I would go back to that and stay on it. Don't be switching. It makes it worse.
Nyzira likes this.

Last edited by Sassalota; January 30th, 2013 at 10:10 AM.
January 30th, 2013, 11:44 AM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
i agree with changing milks, as she is only a week old, it takes time for a baby to adjust to a milk, they say try one for atleast a week, my second daughter suffered badly with constipation, she would be screaming trying to push it out at just a couple of weeks old, i used to give her cooled down boiled water to help her go, i did eventually swap her milk (UK -- different milk here) and that helped

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (31)
together for 10.5 years married for 4.5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

January 30th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Super Mommy
With my first son we put a bit of white Karo syrup in each bottle or else he wouldn't go at all. I think it was enough syrup to cover the teaspoon not a teaspoon full. It helped soften his poop so he could push it out.
January 30th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Dd1 was exclusively breastfed so no help on the formula part but she still had constipation. We massaged, massaged, massaged. It really worked. My sister has some seriously magical hands and would massage her at night and by the next afternoon she would have gone.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search