Anyone else have their cervix pulled forward?

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ratladee

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 30th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Regular
I'm 38 weeks tomorrow and have been having contractions since 1 am Monday night. I went in to get checked today and I've thinned out more but no more than 1-2 cm dilated. My dr said if I was ok he was going to pull my cervix forward and he did. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this done and if its helped speed up labor? Is it the same as a membrane sweep?
January 30th, 2013, 11:26 AM
jojow
I have never heard of that. I know that the cervix goes from posterior to anterior in or before labor but I didn't know there was a way to manually do that?
January 30th, 2013, 11:33 AM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
That seems a tad bit rediculous. After all, you are only 38 weeks. You can't force yourself into labor if your baby is not ready. We are going through a bunch of practice labor right now, and I know it's hard to ignore it but it's probably best until the real thing happens.

January 30th, 2013, 11:35 AM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
Neverheard of that term used before either, how odd, hope he didnt hurt you.

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (31)
together for 10.5 years married for 4.5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

January 30th, 2013, 11:41 AM
stephanieaehenley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Skype™ to stephanieaehenley
I have never heard of that before, but I agree there is no way to force yourself into labor , your baby will come when its ready
January 30th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That sounds so bizarre! I have never heard of pulling a cervix forward. Did it hurt? Did he give you a good reason why he thought that was a good idea? Sorry for all the questions, but I am just curious because I have never heard of that before.
January 30th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Mommytoeight2013's Avatar Super Mommy
I've never heard of that before. Sounds a bit painful.

January 30th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Regular
I'm not sure what he was doing. He didn't say why he did it. It wasn't too painful, it was just a really odd uncomfortable feeling. He said the babies head was pushing on it more and like I said it was thinned out more but he didn't say why he did it. He said its labor and not to kill myself walking trying to get the contractions stronger so I'm just not sure. :/
January 30th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Super Mommy
My cervix is also always way far back, but it always comes forward during labor. I have never heard of anyone having theirs moved manually, it sounds super painful!

Sweeping/stripping of your membranes is different. During the cervical check your provider will gently loosen/disturb the bag of waters from the interior edge of your cervix. I've had it done multiple times as I always go overdue and some studies have shown it can reduce cases of very late babies. It's never hurt me, but it's also never seemed to start anything either.

I will say that if you're uncomfortable with the contractions I would consider refusing the cervical checks and any disturbance to your cervix at all, as this can cause a lot of cramping and contracting without bringing on labor.
January 30th, 2013, 01:59 PM
CptStargel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wierd. Never heard of it before either, but its definitely different than stripping of membranes.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my amazing siggy!!!

February 4th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Tribeccatops's Avatar Member
Oh man! I had my cervix pulled forward today! I didn't realize it was going to be as painful as it was! Basically what they do is INSERT their finger INTO the cervix and try to bring it forward. I literally was yelling. Afterwards I was shaking from the pain. I've had a little bleeding. I am only 1cm and 50% effaced. I'm not sure it's going to help.
February 4th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Hoping's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ooooh, sounds like stretching the cervix trying to get it to dilate? my OB did that with my daughter since I was a tight 1 cm at 39 weeks. It didn't help lol

Our Two Miracles!
Alexis Jade 5/28/08 and Evan Russell 6/28/10
Always Remembering our 3 angels in heaven
February 4th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Regular
Thank gosh mine wasn't too painful. It didn't help me either. Cervix is still high and still only one cm. I'll be 39 weeks on Thursday.
February 4th, 2013, 05:43 PM
jojow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribeccatops View Post
Oh man! I had my cervix pulled forward today! I didn't realize it was going to be as painful as it was! Basically what they do is INSERT their finger INTO the cervix and try to bring it forward. I literally was yelling. Afterwards I was shaking from the pain. I've had a little bleeding. I am only 1cm and 50% effaced. I'm not sure it's going to help.
Wow, that is a really invasive procedure!!! Yikes!

Last edited by jojow; February 4th, 2013 at 05:46 PM.
February 5th, 2013, 05:11 AM
Ravado's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^^ I agree! I think I woulf refuse to let them do it to me (but that is just me). Sounds very painful and a good way to possibly do damage (and that is total speculation on my part since i have never heard of this either, just sounds bad!).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search