Help with pumping

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By eiramillek
  • 2 Post By Ravado

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2013, 03:41 AM
lisadlv's Avatar Veteran
My milk has come in and my boobs are huge they hurt yet I can only get a tiny bit out when pumping. They are killing me. Do any of you ladies know how to help. I have a double electric pump and pumping at the same time but I'm not "letting down" when I pump.
January 31st, 2013, 03:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I used to get really engorged with dd1 so I used to shower or put warm compresses right before pumping. It helped. You may also want tho make sure you have the right nipple shield size, makes it way easier to pump.
January 31st, 2013, 04:14 AM
CptStargel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The right sized breast shield is important, also hand expressing a little beforehand can help, and if you are not relaxed it won't work no matter what. I know that's hard. I had some issues with pumping and was told after all the equipment was set up right that I was stressing and it was affecting my letdown.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my amazing siggy!!!

January 31st, 2013, 05:30 AM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a hard time pumping at the beginning too. Sometimes when your boobs are too engorged, it's impossible to pump any out. You can try standing in a hot shower and hand expressing a little to relieve some of the pressure and then pumping.

Also keep in mind, we were made to feed our babies and boobs are smart! They know the difference between a pump and a baby so sometimes it takes a few pumping sessions to get a let down and for your boobs to adjust to a pump.
ProjectMama likes this.

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
January 31st, 2013, 06:14 AM
Ravado's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a friend who made a video on her phone of her baby crying a little. She said watching it really helped. I do know my boobs let down at the sound if her cry so it might be worth a shot.
lisadlv and pinkpopsicles like this.

January 31st, 2013, 06:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with everyone, try the hot shower, with the hot water running on your breasts. Also I know its hard, but if you are stressed your milk will not let down. So get comfy, try to relax and imagine your baby nursing at your breast. Also a photo of the baby may help to look at or like Ravado mentioned a video of her crying etc. Goodluck

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 31st, 2013, 06:34 AM
*BabyMaMa*'s Avatar Kimber MaMa to Leah
Warm compresses, relax, and try different angle to make sure you're getting the milk duct really well (if that makes sense). Good luck!!

Feb 2012
January 31st, 2013, 07:51 AM
lisadlv's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravado View Post
I had a friend who made a video on her phone of her baby crying a little. She said watching it really helped. I do know my boobs let down at the sound if her cry so it might be worth a shot.
I was going to go in this morning and see about getting a video of her hoefully crying and then maybe nursing, hope that one of them will help. I felt so much better after nursing her last night. They told me that I cn bring my youngest with me so that I can nurse her at times during the day.
January 31st, 2013, 09:00 AM
Veteran
I agree with hot shower and also check the phalanges on your pump. The part that you actually touch to your boob. They make them in different sizes and most women start with the smaller one but actually most women work better with a bigger one. The smaller one sometimes blocks some of the milk.

I agree with everything else about the noises too.
January 31st, 2013, 10:29 PM
lisadlv's Avatar Veteran
I got it under control. Thank goodness and thank you all for the information. This was the first time that I have had a problem with this. River has a hard time eating off the breast but I still want to giver her breast milk. I took a hot shower, massaged my breasts, upped the size of the sheild, and had a video of her crying and they feel soooo much better now. I had square boobs when I took my bra off earlier they were that big and engorged. I am also getting a lot more milk out now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search