Crib Bumper or no Crib Bumper?

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By artisticmind
  • 2 Post By wishing
  • 1 Post By jojow

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2013, 03:54 PM
Veteran
The state of Maryland is trying to ban the use of crib bumpers due to a high rate of SIDS. For those who have had their babies or previous babies did you use crib bumpers in your crib and do you feel that they are unsafe to use? I attended a SIDS class today and they basically promoted the Sleep Safe with the basics of sleep position on the back, alone and in a crib with just the use of the crib sheet covering the mattress, a light blanket over there legs and nothing else in or on the crib.

What are your thoughts?
February 21st, 2013, 04:23 PM
artisticmind's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We didn't use the bumper until about 3 months, when Riley could roll himself over front to back and back to front on his own. The theory is if they accidentally roll themselves in to the bumper before they can roll over on purpose is that they can suffocate. Once they can roll themselves purposefully the risk is lessened as their central nervous system can kick in if they roll in to it, realize that their body is "uncomfortable" and they'll roll themselves back away from it. Just like an adult tossing in their sleep, it's your body signaling that it's uncomfortable whether due to position or oxygen status, and it's time to change to a more comfortable position.

Then after he could roll himself the bumper only lasted about 3 months because the weekend he turn 6 months he figured out how to sit up by himself, crawl, and pull himself to standing with a table/crib/playpen and I was afraid he'd use the bumper to boost himself right over the edge of the crib and out on his noggin.
MiniSnookie likes this.

Baby Girl expected 2.12.13!

Annie :wife to JJ and mommy to Riley
missing our Feb. 2012
February 21st, 2013, 05:17 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We used a bumper with Lillian when she started rolling over well and was getting limbs caught between the crib slats. I just recently took them out because she was standing on them and ripped a lot of the ties out.

We will probably do the same with Clara if I can get them repaired.

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
February 21st, 2013, 05:40 PM
Nyzira's Avatar Just call me Bam.
Send a message via AIM to Nyzira
With Annabelle, we used one bumper along the side against the wall. She would rollover or scootch around and get her leg or arm stuck between the bars and wall. Other than that we only put her to sleep in the crib in a sleep sack.. no blankies, no toys.

Of course, she didn't spend much time in the crib. We mostly co-slept and when she was able to walk and climb up and down our bed we took down the crib and gave her her own twin bed.

February 21st, 2013, 07:23 PM
CptStargel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We use crib bumpers and did with our first too.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my amazing siggy!!!

February 22nd, 2013, 11:01 AM
Ravado's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I bought a breathable bumper.

February 22nd, 2013, 12:24 PM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
That theory makes no sense to me unless the parent puts the baby right up against the side of the crib. If placed directly in the center it would take a couple rolls to get to the side, not just one.

February 22nd, 2013, 02:31 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I consider traditional puffy bumpers to be unsafe before about six months when they can roll well. I do have a breathable bumper and don't consider it necessary really by the time my babies move to a full-sized crib (when sleeping through the night, they move out of Mommy and Daddy's room and the cosleeping crib).

February 22nd, 2013, 03:48 PM
stephanieaehenley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Skype™ to stephanieaehenley
I have never used a crib for my son and won't for my little girl either, he used his swing and PAC and play until 15 months and I put him in a toddler bed .
February 22nd, 2013, 10:14 PM
tryn1998's Avatar Veteran
We've always used bumpers but they really aren't necessary until they are actively rolling and tossing and turning in their sleep. My kids always managed to get a leg or foot caught in the slats if a bumper wasn't there. And really, as a newborn or an infant that can't roll yet, I don't see how they can "suffocate" if they don't even move yet.

I always thought SIDS was "sudden" not "suffocation". I hate that they include suffocation in with SIDS. SIDS usually means there is no visible reason and I think that suffocation is clearly a visible reason.
February 22nd, 2013, 10:18 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymaize View Post
We've always used bumpers but they really aren't necessary until they are actively rolling and tossing and turning in their sleep. My kids always managed to get a leg or foot caught in the slats if a bumper wasn't there. And really, as a newborn or an infant that can't roll yet, I don't see how they can "suffocate" if they don't even move yet.

I always thought SIDS was "sudden" not "suffocation". I hate that they include suffocation in with SIDS. SIDS usually means there is no visible reason and I think that suffocation is clearly a visible reason.
SIDS is "sudden infant death syndrome." Most times doctors can't tell what an infant may have passed away from which leads them to believe it was some sort of suffocation.

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
February 24th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Bumper pads are not a risk only for suffacation, and that is a different classification then SIDS. To be a sids death the infant has to meet very specific criteria.

anything that stops the air from properly circuating is a risk, also anything that will heat up the tempature in the crib. So bumper pads interfears with the flow of air and therefor could be a SIDS risk.

They are an additional risk due to the possiblity of suffication but do mix that with the risk of sids.
Urchin and MiniSnookie like this.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my wonderful Siggy!
February 24th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Super Mommy
We do bumpers from day 1 until they either move out of the crib or I get tired of washing it and stop putting it in the crib. My kids like to sleep with their backs against something. With the bumper they would sleep up against that. Once they move into a big bed they will back against the wall. Not always but enough to want a cushion or something there.
February 25th, 2013, 05:46 AM
Hokie Nicole's Avatar Super Mommy
For DS, I had the bumper in the crib at about 8 weeks... same reasoning as many have mentioned. He was able to easily roll around at that point (both ways) and his arms and legs were getting caught in between the bars.
February 25th, 2013, 06:05 AM
jojow
I co-sleep and use the crib when they are older. I don't use bumpers. They are sort of a pain to me, pacis get lost in them and they make it hard to change the sheets.
jeangeorge2742728 likes this.
February 25th, 2013, 09:55 AM
jeangeorge2742728's Avatar Crazy Momma 2 seven
I co-sleep so I haven't never felt the need to use a bumper. I have always had my babies in the bed with me right now I have not only my almost 3 week old in there but my almost 18 month old sleeps beside her daddy.
Samuel (Sammy) Wesley 5-27-07
Kaitlynn Faith 6-11-08
MaryJean Hope 9-16-11
Ethan Curtis 02-06-13
February 25th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Veteran
I put the bumper in my crib. Looks really cute and I think that is all it will be used for is decoration as I doubt it will ever get used. Baby ended up wrapping dad around his little figure and weasled his way into our bed. Mama loves it though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search